Italy - Greece route

For advice, tips and information on new travel routes/prices to Bulgaria or needing internal travel advice? This is the right Forum!

Moderator: Moderator

Laurie Driver

Re: Italy - Greece route

Postby Laurie Driver » Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:57 pm

Liliputian wrote:Hi, am reviving this thread to see if there's any updated information/experience on this route.

We plan to drive over in late December / early January

I'm actually doing the same thing, overnight ferry to Cherbourg in late December. Never done it before, but looking at street view of the route through Germany - Austria - Slovenia - Croatia - Serbia versus North Italy we have settled on the former. If the weather is bad I'd much rather be on motorways or main roads that have a chance of being passable than little single carrageway northern Italian roads.

Liliputian

Postby Liliputian » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:42 pm

Thanks for the replies and useful information. We haven't finalised the route yet but are leaning towards overnight from Hull to Zeebrugge (to cut out my least favourite part of the drive, from north to south England), then on through France, northern Italy, Slovenia, Croatia and Serbia. The Italy-Greece ferry seems a bit expensive and as Laurie says above, the mountain route through Greece may be a problem in January. I just have to get an insurance policy that includes Serbia.

We did a different route a couple of years ago, in the summer - Dover to Calais ferry, then through Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany, Austria, Hungary, Romania, crossing into Bulgaria via the Calafat-Vidin bridge. My favourite part of the drive was after leaving Germany (a lot of roadworks on the autobahns meant two lane traffic, with our small car either stuck in between HGVs or being flashed by impatient shiny BMWs and Audis. Hungary and Romania were very pleasant driving, and much friendlier and cheaper when stopping to sleep or eat. Coming back we went through Slovenia which was fantastic, and crossed into France further south which proved a nicer drive than more of Germany, Luxembourg and Belgium.

AJ113
<b>Property Sales</B>

Postby AJ113 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:00 am

Liliputian wrote:Thanks for the replies and useful information. We haven't finalised the route yet but are leaning towards overnight from Hull to Zeebrugge...
I'm in Hull. Give me a shout and I'll give you a tour of Hull's best parts. No, wait a minute, Hull hasn't got any best parts...

Liliputian

Postby Liliputian » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:31 pm

AJ113 wrote:
Liliputian wrote:Thanks for the replies and useful information. We haven't finalised the route yet but are leaning towards overnight from Hull to Zeebrugge...
I'm in Hull. Give me a shout and I'll give you a tour of Hull's best parts. No, wait a minute, Hull hasn't got any best parts...

They don't hand out 'city of culture' titles for nothing, do they?

bigbulg
<b>Legal Services</b>

Postby bigbulg » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:23 am

In the past they have tended to hand out "city of culture" titles to cities that need "Rejunvenation", Hull is no exception!

Return to “Getting to & travelling in Bulgaria”