Italy - Greece route

For advice, tips and information on new travel routes/prices to Bulgaria or needing internal travel advice? This is the right Forum!

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
scasparz
Super User!
Super User!

the greek way

Postby scasparz » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:36 am

For those concerned there are two greek ways to Italy.

One is from Promachonas-Serres-Thessaloniki-Katerini-Larissa-Trikala-the Katara (curse) pass-Ioannina and finally Igoumenitsa. The part between Trikala and Igoumenitsa is a rather difficult one, narrow, mountainous road, no overtaking, lots of slow moving trucks, you better avoid this route. Has some good spots for sight-seeing, such as the Meteora cliffs right after Trikala -you cannot miss this place-, plus Metchovo a beautiful mountainous little town between Trikala and Ioannina good as a resting place.

The other one is Promachonas-Serres-Thessaloniki-Kozani-Grevena-Ioannina-Igoumenitsa which is a newly developed motorway, fast with speed limit typically at 130km -beware of police speed radars-, safe, while an impressive construction. At the moment it is toll free I am told. You are strongly advised to follow this route.

Ferrying to Italy can be from Igoumenitsa to either Brindesi, Ancona or Venice. Brindesi is the shortest and as such it is my personal preference. The one to Ancona takes about 24 hours, while it is even more for Venice. The Italian autostadas -motorways- are expensive but perhaps the second best motorways following the German autobahns.

Getting through Greece is perhaps the best way if you live in southern Bulgaria.

cheers everyone

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
stewarty
drunken lout

Postby stewarty » Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:08 pm

Hi All

The anek line, on line booking system is down but i managed to book through these agents at no extra cost.

www.viamare.com
Viamare Limited
Suite3, 447 Kenton Road
Harrow
Middlesex
HA3 0XY
United Kingdom

Telephone: 0044 20 8206 3420
Fax: 0044 20 8206 1332

Office Hours:
Mon. - Fri. 09:00 - 17:30
Sat. 10:00 - 14:00

Stewarty

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
smot

Postby smot » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:39 pm

This Italy - Greece route is very appealing. I've just looked up the last part of the route using google maps. They direct me (to Smolian) via the border between Xanthi and Rudozem. As far as I'm aware the new border crossing point isn't open there yet. Does anyone have any information about this?

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
stewarty
drunken lout

Postby stewarty » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:53 pm

Hi All

Where do i, or not, buy my vignette for BG when crossing from Greece?

thanks

stewarty

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
scasparz
Super User!
Super User!

Xanthi and Rudozem

Postby scasparz » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:57 pm

smot a workmate from Komotini claims the answer is no, not yet. She is supposed to know. Sorry.

Depending on where you stay, you should try Promachonas or Ormenion instead.

cheers

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
jinx57
<b>Property Finder</b>

Re: Italy - Greece route

Postby jinx57 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:39 am

starby wrote:Hi all

For those of you that have already used this route, do you know if you can take dogs on the ferry?We didn't think about it when we planned but if they are not allowed we will have to change plans.

Thanks

Shirley

best route is Anek lines (book direct online with them) from Venice to Ignouminsta. Kennels on top deck in the shade and dogs on leads allowed to walk all the decks so exercise is OK. Also, more time at sea than going from Ancona so more comfortable for dogs. Do you have a basket/cage? these can be put inside the kennel so it is familiar for your dog .

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Seedy
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Seedy » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:07 pm

Last time I did the Serres - Thessaloniki-Igoumenitsa run (about 3 weeks ago) I didn't see a single cop/speed-trap anywhere. Excellent, almost-empty motorway practically the whole way and you can really open the old pocket-rocket up a bit :wink:

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
johnbaz
<b>Tradesman</b>

Postby johnbaz » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:23 pm

What did you get out of the old ford fiesta then Seedy ? Was think about going this way for a change .

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Billy2

Postby Billy2 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:57 pm

We are travelling over next week by the Italy greece route - any up to date recommendations, and details of ferries from Bari would be appreciated

Thanks

Billy

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
codking
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

northern Greece motorway route.

Postby codking » Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:05 pm

Would love to hear from anyone who has driven this road recently as the construction company states on its website that it is complete.And after reading previous advice on this route from the port to Bg driving on very narrow winding mountain roads,it would be great to hear the latest.Looking at driving over in April 2010 with trailer.

Return to “Getting to & travelling in Bulgaria”