Italy - Greece route

For advice, tips and information on new travel routes/prices to Bulgaria or needing internal travel advice? This is the right Forum!

Moderator: Moderator

Senile-and-Blonde
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Postby Senile-and-Blonde » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:30 am

Hi

Thanks guys, i'll contact ferry company and let you know what they say. Can't imagine leaving them behind as even though they are only 6 months at moment they are very much part of the family.

Cheers Estelle

yankv8
Super User!
Super User!

ferry

Postby yankv8 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:57 am

Are you travelling by car,caravan or motorhome ? as each is totally different,if car then they will be in thier 'travel boxes' anyhow ? same really as in caravan or motorhome,surely but at least if the doors kept shut you can let them out,with more room to do so,cats are weird creatures,i thnk they will get very excited if moved from one cage to another,better to keep them quiet 'in your own place' and say nothing ??unless you have too,because their in car,cant believe how strong a cat can be,you will not hold one,if they dont want it.
Italy -Greece can be a leasurely drive,more like a holiday than te other routes,especially if you take extra time,although a little expensive,if you have 'extra,extra time follow the actual coast road from Thessaloniki past Kavala,its stunning,the motorway passes everything and you see nothing but of course faster.
We always,when we have time,drive down to the coast near Kavala from Bulgaria (up to 3 hours drive) and 'wild camp' in our motorhome there,stunning...have a good trip .

Senile-and-Blonde
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Postby Senile-and-Blonde » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:47 pm

Hi

Thanks for the info. We are travel in a large long wheel based van. Considering getting large wire travel cage for them to travel in but wasn't sure if we'd be able to get it out of van and to upper deck or cabin. Also wasn't sure if they could stay in van as long crossing. They are used to travelling as they have regularly since very small. Did the trip 3 years ago and did half motorway half coast as motorway was half built. stopped at a very very pleasant hotel on edge of road for night.

Estelle

brianj42
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby brianj42 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:59 pm

Hi All (Quite URGENT)

Travelling back to the Uk via Igoumenitsa this weekend on Superfast. As the cabins are rather costly for single occupance I am considering the "camp on deck" option, sleeping in the back of the Jeep.

I started to read through the long posts in this posting but after a while I got a headache.

Has anyone done this, and is it problem free ?

Thanks

Brian

stewarty
drunken lout

Postby stewarty » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:38 pm

Hi Brian,

I went with Anek lines last summer and thier was no access to the vehicle decks during the sailing. (Camp on the deck) is mostly for passengers who have a dog with them, you can take a sleeping bag/quilt, and find a spot anywhere inside and try and get a sleep!

Stewarty

whizz
Super User!
Super User!

Italy greece route

Postby whizz » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:43 pm

No worries, I've done this journey countless times and if you don't want to go to the expense of a cabin then you can always find somewhere to park your head. We always took sleeping bags and mats, it's not as comfortable as a cabin but a lot cheaper . The camping deck is mainly for campers and the only benefit is that you have electric hook up.

The secret is to board early and pick your spot, anyone can sleep on deck but we always used to go for the lounge with the reclining chairs and we just used to kip on the floor.

Bon Voyage!!!

jinx57
<b>Property Finder</b>

Postby jinx57 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:55 pm

Anek Lines cabins are good value, clean, comfortable and loads of hot water etc and towels. Have travelled this route several times and they've not let us down. Once the ship is at sea, you cant get into the car deck until it docks.

brianj42
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby brianj42 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:44 pm

stewarty wrote:Hi Brian,

(Camp on the deck) is mostly for passengers who have a dog with them, !

Stewarty

Maybe this is an oportunity to rehome a stray from Bulgaria just so I can get on the camping deck :D

JohnB

Postby JohnB » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:41 pm

thanks for that info. do you know if anybody has ferried from Plymouth as thats our starting point it seems daft to travel up country to Dover when there's a ferry to france and spain from plymouth We fancy going to Santander in spain but where to go after that. I did fancy hopping to Italy then greece or Serbia as it looks like it would cut out the driving time.

MOONLIGHT

Postby MOONLIGHT » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:28 am

hey there .
We came here from spain jan 2008.
Barcelona-Civitaveccia. Grimaldi ferries.
drive across Italy to Ancona.
Ancona - Igoumenitsa Superfast ferries.
drive to border at Edirne (Kapitan Andreevo)
one way trip, took our time (9 days!), great venture.
Will try the return trip one day, loved it.
Santander to Barca toll roads, but a bit of an adventure to try parallel roads!!

regards.

Return to “Getting to & travelling in Bulgaria”