LPG autogas

For advice, tips and information on new travel routes/prices to Bulgaria or needing internal travel advice? This is the right Forum!

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
RainbowBG

Re: LPG

Postby RainbowBG » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:13 pm

amron wrote:“but why do you not get your heads together and come up with a "LPG route map".

I would think that many people nowadays have Sat Nav in their vehicles, so don’t need a route map.

Another major problem I would imagine would be, keeping such a route map up to day, and relevant as I saw on a few websites about lpg in Austria.

Actually LPG is almost impossible to find in Austria, Auto gas which is not LPG; is available everywhere in Austria.

While we are on the subject of LPG, does anyone know of LPG stations in Spain crossing over at Figueres on the Mediterranean side going down to Malaga?

I believe that LPG is much more readily available in Spain now, but it was quite hard to find, so don’t know of any places to fill up.

Thanks

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Yorkshireknight
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Postby Yorkshireknight » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:02 am

Hi Rainbow BG

Your statement regarding LPG is impossible to find anywhere in Austria and AUTO GAS is NOT LPG which can be found all over Austria are, may I say, is contradictory.

Auto gas IS LPG, even in the UK we refer to LPG as auto gas on a forecourt.
It is the same stuff that you can cook your sausages on for breakfast if you live in a house that is not connected to the main gas supply, you can also run your central heating on it and put it in your car to make it go brrruuumm.

Next time you pass through Austria and you are short on LPG ,pop in to the Auto gas site Im sure they will be glad to serve.

YK

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
RainbowBG

Postby RainbowBG » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:37 am

Yorkshireknight wrote:Hi Rainbow BG

Your statement regarding LPG is impossible to find anywhere in Austria and AUTO GAS is NOT LPG which can be found all over Austria are, may I say, is contradictory.

Auto gas IS LPG, even in the UK we refer to LPG as auto gas on a forecourt.
It is the same stuff that you can cook your sausages on for breakfast if you live in a house that is not connected to the main gas supply, you can also run your central heating on it and put it in your car to make it go brrruuumm.

Next time you pass through Austria and you are short on LPG ,pop in to the Auto gas site Im sure they will be glad to serve.

YK

Hello YK

Well I don’t speak German, and I have driven through Germany an Austria, in Austria I looked for LPG as that is what I have in my car; and when I asked.

Everyone said: Auto gas, I went to the 5 petrol stations that Austrian people who spoke to me in English and said Auto gas, sent me to, and did NOT at all find LPG, what I did find was Erdgas.

Which is natural gas used in cars in Austria and Germany, I don’t know if it is used anywhere else.

However when I asked even in the petrol station, and they did not seem to speak English in the stations, I said LPG, and everyone said Autogas, and then indicated that I can not use it. Actually I read a sign on one of the pumps only looked on one, and it says “this is not LPG”.

Now there could be some difference with written and spoken German, but as I neither write or speak, I don’t know.

What I do know if that I drove from the boarder with Hungary to Wein and then to Linz looking for LPG.

Everyone said Auto gas and there is none, I gave up after that, as I was not only stopping on the motorway and also going into evey town that I passed to find LPG, and did not.

One woman said that you can only get LPG on the motorways, however I drove past every station and checked and looked in everyone that had Erd gas or anything else gas related, but there was no LPG.

I therefore conclude, that LPG and Auto gas, (spoken) are not the same thing and I am 99% certain you can’t get it in Austria.

In Germany it is available in almost every petrol station and also Erd gas, is there.

The next time you go to Austria please do fill up with Erd gas, and see what happens.

I have just found this, and as you will see it is written autogas

Autogas- und Erdgas-Fahrzeug-Forum http://www.autogas-forum.de

I have not read this site, but as they say in English LPG / Autogas and Erdgas, I guess this info will be good.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
croxleydog
Super User!
Super User!

LPG

Postby croxleydog » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:58 am

LPG is a byproduct from refining crude oil and consists of Propane and Butane and is commonly called Autogas, while Erdgas is a natural gas with a very high Methane content.Becoming more available now but has caused some problems often with the newer Dacia taxis.
Regards,
Mike

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
gimlet
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby gimlet » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:42 pm

Sounds like the difference between CNG and LPG to me, not that I know much about it. CNG is likely to be used in trucks and buses because they are bigger and can have the double insulated tanks to keep it liquid.

I think CNG is the stuff that comes out of British Gas's pipes, not LPG. It floats up whereas LPG floats down and collects in basements.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
aaron772

Postby aaron772 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:03 pm

Gimlet is right erdgas is CNG however its also used in cars even here in Bulgaria I think its called metan here and alot of the taxis use it and you can convert diesels to it also but it requires a mix I believe rather than and either or like LPG. I must admit Iv done this journey across a few times and I have never found LPG in Austria either it would be great if this is wrong...

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
JL76

Postby JL76 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:41 pm

aaron772 wrote: I must admit Ive done this journey across a few times and I have never found LPG in Austria either it would be great if this is wrong...

no you are not wrong, there is no LPG in Austria, well if there is they hide it well, although on the webistes and fourms, they say you can find it, we tried to find it, even foudn the petrol station which was listed as having LPG, not a gas in sight!

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
silky4015

Postby silky4015 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:49 pm

Try this following site. You don't need the street just type in the town and it should show you a map of the nearest PLG station.

http://www.autogas-tankstellen-finder.de/en

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
construction_help

lpg

Postby construction_help » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:01 pm

JL76 wrote:
aaron772 wrote: I must admit Ive done this journey across a few times and I have never found LPG in Austria either it would be great if this is wrong...

no you are not wrong, there is no LPG in Austria, well if there is they hide it well, although on the webistes and fourms, they say you can find it, we tried to find it, even foudn the petrol station which was listed as having LPG, not a gas in sight!

Wrong :twisted:

AUSTRIA. There are at least 14 filling stations –

www.xor.org.uk/silkroute/equipment/word/lpgeurope.doc

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
bgscot

Postby bgscot » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:55 am

Found the pest places for lpg seem to be close to the border crossings

Return to “Getting to & travelling in Bulgaria”