Importing a car

For advice, tips and information on new travel routes/prices to Bulgaria or needing internal travel advice? This is the right Forum!

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
bulldoggeorge
<b>Property Sales/Rentals</b>

Postby bulldoggeorge » Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:54 pm

Hello I imported a british car the week before last. I had a bulgarian company with me, who employed a "fixer" (it's not what you know, it's who)
See here http://www.mybulgaria.info/modules.php? ... ht=#241949
We went to the KAT office, met mr fixer who went with my guy into the offices with all my documents, 10 mins later a guy came out to my vehicle and checked engine and vin no's. After waiting a while I was instructed to drive the car around the queue of waiting cars and into the garage on the opposite side of the building. They then removed my U.K. number plates, affixed the new bulgarian ones with rivets, stuck the regisration sticker in the windscreen, gave us the compulsory insurance ticket, Bulgarian registation document and the section from my British V5 reg document,
that the vehicle has been permanently exported, to return to D.V.L.A
After that we had to go to the appointed Shell garage for the "technical" inspection. 15 mins later we were given another sticker for the windscreen and the job was completed!!!
After that we went to an Insurance co. office, where I bought a fully comprehensive insurance.Which is optional. After the form filling the guy came out and took about 6 photos of the car and put another 2 stickers in the side windows.
Hooray all legal and all protected.
No There was no import tax as such
Last edited by bulldoggeorge on Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
siddy
Super User!
Super User!

Postby siddy » Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:21 pm

I'ts
bulldoggeorge wrote:Hello I imported a british car the week before last. I had a bulgarian company with me, who employed a "fixer" (it's not what you know, it's who)
See here http://www.mybulgaria.info/modules.php? ... ht=#241949
We went to the KAT office, met mr fixer who went with my guy into the offices with all my documents, 10 mins later a guy came out to my vehicle and checked engine and vin no's. After waiting a while I was instructed to drive the car around the queue of waiting cars and into the garage on the opposite side of the building. They then removed my U.K. number plates, affixed the new bulgarian ones with rivets, stuck the regisration sticker in the windscreen, gave us the compulsory insurance ticket, Bulgarian registation document and the section from my British V5 reg document,
that the vehicle has been permanently exported, to return to D.V.L.A
After that we had to go to the appointed Shell garage for the "technical" inspection. 15 mins later we were given another sticker for the windscreen and the job was completed!!!
After that we went to an Insurance co. office, where I bought a fully comprehensive insurance. After the form filling the guy came out and took about 6 photos of the car and put another 2 stickers in the side windows.
Hooray all legal and all protected.
No There was no import tax as such
Why did you need a Mr. Fixer with you. It's a perfectly normal thing to do.
What did you pay Mr. fixer for jumping the queue because thats all he did.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
bulldoggeorge

Postby bulldoggeorge » Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:27 pm

Yes Exactly.
And worth every stotinki of the 10 lev paid.
I have more important things to do than wait in a queue all day.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Britintheknow

Postby Britintheknow » Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:28 pm

What are the current rules regarding import tax? Is there still a limit that everything over 150BHP gets taxed?

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
bulldoggeorge

Postby bulldoggeorge » Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:34 pm

Yes This rule certainly still applies. My vehicle was listed at 118, or the equivalent in K.W. so it did not affect me, but it was certainly discussed at the time.
Last edited by bulldoggeorge on Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Britintheknow

Postby Britintheknow » Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:49 pm

Thought so, but rules and regulations do change all of the time, so it is worth asking. Will keep my car on UK plates.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
LUCI
Super User!
Super User!

Postby LUCI » Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:50 pm

does anyone know if the procedure is any different for someone who is not permanent resident in bulgaria and who therefore does not have an ID card?

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Britintheknow

Postby Britintheknow » Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:53 pm

Thought so, but rules and regulations do change all of the time, so it is worth asking. Will keep my car on UK plates.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
bulldoggeorge

Postby bulldoggeorge » Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:27 pm

LUCI wrote:does anyone know if the procedure is any different for someone who is not permanent resident in bulgaria and who therefore does not have an ID card?

Sorry I can't help with this question.
I registered mine in my Bulgarian company name and address

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Slaphead
Pig Headed

Postby Slaphead » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:47 am

bulldoggeorge wrote:Sorry I can't help with this question.
I registered mine in my Bulgarian company name and address

Are you liable to pay personal tax in BG on having use of a company car as is the situation in UK?

Return to “Getting to & travelling in Bulgaria”