Up-to-date hints on hungary/romania route to bg

For advice, tips and information on new travel routes/prices to Bulgaria or needing internal travel advice? This is the right Forum!

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Missy

Postby Missy » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:26 am

Hi all, we've decided to go Romania route, and should be hitting the border shortly - heading for Sofia.

With an 18ft trailer, we're desperate to know whether the "yellow" road is ok to take direct from Drobeta Turnu Severin to Calafat/Vidin or whether it would be advisable to take the longer main road route via Craiova?

Has anyone done the direct route to Calafat/Vidin from Drobeta Turnu Severin ???!!!

Many thanks!

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
peterpiper
Super User!
Super User!

Postby peterpiper » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:36 am

Sorry I can't help you there Missy as I took the lazy option and used my Garmin Nuvi, I stuck in Vidin at Szeged and followed the pink road on the sat nav :D to Calafat and caught the ferry, luckily, very quickly. There were no holdups and very few lorries and that was a Saturday. Best of luck.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
buddha
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Postby buddha » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:44 am

Hi, We came through over a month back and that section of road was fine. The only dodgy area for us was around timmisorra and that was due to a couple of kilometers of roadworks.All in all it wasn't the hellish journey that it used to be.

You just have to remember that you are coming from good motorways in Hungary onto some pot-holed back roads, but over the last couple of years things have improved a great deal.

Good luck,
David

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
bullador
Super User!
Super User!

Postby bullador » Fri May 01, 2009 9:03 am

Hi I did the journey last week, left on sunday morning at 04.45 and got through romania into hungary by 19.30 which was fantastic as it used to take me over a full day to get to the hungarian border. I left Dobrich and went via the Ruse bridge, very good roads now not many lorries on the road so had a very good drive through. Only a very small stretch of pot holes and I did a good job of missing most of them.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
7RED
Super User!
Super User!

Postby 7RED » Sat May 02, 2009 10:55 pm

Jesus,

From Hungary to Timisoara its 65k of roads with no holes, (discounting the lasses on the side) from Timisoara to Reccas, (great vinery) 22k....whats the problem?

My driver used to do it all the time 8)

7red

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Barbara

Postby Barbara » Sun May 03, 2009 1:09 pm

Hi,
We travelled from Vidin to Calafat 10 days ago on ferry. Beware it turns up when it feels like. However the road from Calafat to Drgvota was wonderful. New relayed asphalt fine. Then we took the road from Drgvota to Timisoara was really really bad. Not only was it poor it is being repaired and there a re many long sections of one way traffic controled by men with lolly pops or trafic lights. The drivers were mad. Not only in the literal sence trying to kill themselves and anyone else around overtaking in dangerous unsuitable places but the delays were very long and people became dangerous speeding through the bumpy poor roads which were not being repaired. It took us several hours to complete a 2 hour route and we were exausted at the end.
Timisoara via Sinnicolau Mare and on to the Hungarian border was fine and customs officials pleasant .
Do not do this route this year as there's no way it can be finished so soon.
Best wishes Barb

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
countrygirlbg
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Is anyone leaving 20th may to go to bg?

Postby countrygirlbg » Mon May 11, 2009 3:34 pm

hi there is there anyone leaving on the 20-21st of may to travel to bulgaria we are leaving then and just wondered if we could meet up at all.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
calluna

Postby calluna » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:55 pm

Hi.

We are driving from Calais to VT in a couple of weeks and wondered if anyone has any up-to-date information on a good route through Hungary and Romania. This is the first time for us and there seem to be lots of different routes.

Thanks in advance for any advice. Calluna

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
brunocar5
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Postby brunocar5 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:48 pm

You can try this website, it will plan your journey and I believe you can add stages along the way, so if there is a specific route you require you can take it. Otherwise default and choose quickest.

http://www.viamichelin.co.uk/viamicheli ... mePage.htm

Cheers

Steve

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
stewarty
drunken lout

Postby stewarty » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:04 pm

hi steve
You can try this website, it will plan your journey and I believe you can add stages along the way, so if there is a specific route you require you can take it. Otherwise default and choose quickest.

http://www.viamichelin.co.uk/viamicheli ... mePage.htm

Cheers

Steve

Hi Steve, this thread is for road work updates, michellin/rac/aa etc can`t be as quick as this forum users updates..

stewarty

Return to “Getting to & travelling in Bulgaria”