Calafat /Vidin Ferry Route

For advice, tips and information on new travel routes/prices to Bulgaria or needing internal travel advice? This is the right Forum!

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
neilmay
Super User!
Super User!

Postby neilmay » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:54 am

Look at the weather!!!
Thats my advise.
All fine for Romania and the ferry at the moment but like all of europe if the snow falls then it's an other story.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
BigDanny
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

romania via calafat

Postby BigDanny » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:31 am

I did this route from UK at start of November. The road is now much improved. From Szeged take the route through Cenad turn off at Mako. The Timisoara, the road is passable, not great but no potholes of consequence. Timisoara, follow signs for Drobcheta Turnu Severin or carasebes or Lugoj. Road from Timisoara is now all good. Just watch you speed through every village. Can be a pain in the *ss because one village seems to follow on from the next.before you get to Drobcheta there is a nice bit of road which actually bypasses the villages but also the mountain area. would suggest unless you have 4x4 to have chains at this time of year. The one bit of road yet to be finished is the last 20k or so before Drobcheta where the road runs along the danube. It will be more finished now but dont think they will finish before Winter. Take the road which turn off to the right which will take you to Calafat. Is good road. The bit just before the town is a bit chaotic with the new bridge construction. Ferry cost me 43 euro landrover and trailer about 9 or 10 metres long plus stupid port taxes
. Romania border to border should take you around 6 or 7 hours in good weather.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
scot47
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby scot47 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:06 am

"Watch you speed through the village"
or "Watch your speed through the village" ??

8O 8O :D

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
BigDanny
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Postby BigDanny » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:34 am

Very good Scot, You must have drunk your coffee before me. :D

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
kernowcornish

Postby kernowcornish » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:59 pm

[quote="scot47"]"Watch you speed through the village"
or "Watch your speed through the village" ??

nice one !! well spotted ! had to look twice ! :D made me laugh!

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
MOD
<b>Be Generous & Give MOD a Home</b>

Postby MOD » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:22 am

hoover asked:
hi
is the calafat route open and the ferry working and does anyone know the price

haddockman replied:
The Calafat-Vidin ferry is running 24/7. Cost is about €30 for a car and 2 people plus €7 Romanian port tax.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Milka
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Milka » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:18 pm

Is anyone able to give me an idea of the state of the roads between Vidin and Pleven and approximately how long it takes to drive this stretch? We haven't used this route before and I was wondering if it's any quicker going this way to get to Polski Trambesh rather than going via Bucharest/Ruse.

M

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
rodz
Super User!
Super User!

vidiv ferry

Postby rodz » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:21 pm

Hi Milki better route to Pleven would be cross from Romania at Bechet into Bulgaria. (dont wait behind lorries go to the front) Once across drive towards Vratsa. 30 mins drive from the ferry you will come to the village of Altimir (where I live) turn left at the petrol station and that road leads to Pleven (1 hours drive from Altimir

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
haddockman

Postby haddockman » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:49 pm

Milka wrote:Is anyone able to give me an idea of the state of the roads between Vidin and Pleven and approximately how long it takes to drive this stretch? We haven't used this route before and I was wondering if it's any quicker going this way to get to Polski Trambesh rather than going via Bucharest/Ruse.

M

The Svishtov-Zimnich ferry would better suit your needs. Only 35km from Svishtov to PT.

The roads to Pleven from Vratsa/Vidin are woeful and you would be best keeping off of them unless you like changing the suspension.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
rodz
Super User!
Super User!

vidin ferry

Postby rodz » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:08 pm

The road from Vidin to Vratsa is a mainly good road, nearly new, and the road from the ferry boat to Vratsa ia also good with some new road. From Altimir to Pleven is also mostly new road although through Byla Slatina (15 mins drive from Altimir) the road is bad but not impassable as its a busy road

Return to “Getting to & travelling in Bulgaria”