Danube Ferry to NIKOPOL

For advice, tips and information on new travel routes/prices to Bulgaria or needing internal travel advice? This is the right Forum!

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
scot47
Mega User!
Mega User!

Danube Ferry to NIKOPOL

Postby scot47 » Wed May 28, 2008 1:42 pm

Maybe this should be in another thread ? New Ferry to NIKOPOL, north of VT. From SNA - Novinite today.

"New Ferry Connects Bulgaria and Romania over Danube

27 May 2008, Tuesday

The new ferry complex connecting the Bulgarian port of Nikopol and the Romanian port of Turnu Magurele over the Danube River will open in mid July, 2008.

The news was announced by Bulgaria's Deputy Minister of Transport Dimcho Mihalevski during his visit to the northern Bulgarian town of Nikopol.

The ferry complex has been constructed already but some additional safety guarantees are being completed at the moment.

About EUR 6,5 M have been invested in the ferry, EUR 2,5 M of which have been provided by the Bulgarian government, whereas the rest is EU funding under the PHARE Program.

The Bulgarian side of the ferry complex will be operated by the Bulgarian River Shipping company.

The Deputy Minister of Transport Mihalevski said in Nikopol that the new ferry would have a great economic impact as part of the country's policy to tackle the marginalizing of its border regions by opening up its borders.

Mihalevsky reminded that another ferry line between the city of Silistra and the Romanian town of Calarasi had been opened recently, and said that two more border checkpoints would be opened on the Bulgarian-Greek border by the middle of 2009.

The Bulgarian platform of the new ferry can carry 12 trucks, and crosses the river in only eight minutes. Yet, the fees for using it have not been set because the ownership issue has not been settled.

The rehabilitation of the 45-km road connecting Nikopol and the district center, the city of Pleven, is going as planned."
Last edited by scot47 on Wed May 28, 2008 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
thedichingang

new ferry connection

Postby thedichingang » Wed May 28, 2008 1:52 pm

hi scott
i read this too. have you been able to ascertain if the stated '12 trucks' carriage limit has an interpretation of say 10 trucks and 4 cars?

john

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
demoboy
<b>Tradesman</b>

Postby demoboy » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:26 pm

Hi THere, Does anyone know if this service is operational yet? If so what are the roads in Romania like leading to it for a truck? Destination V.T. any info appreciated,
cheers Demo.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
demoboy
<b>Tradesman</b>

Postby demoboy » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:28 pm

I guess no one has tried this route then?

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
MOD
<b>Be Generous & Give MOD a Home</b>

Postby MOD » Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:00 pm

B52 replied:

Not sure if it is open yet, this article says sometime this month…..

Nikopol ferry

http://www.novinite.com/view_news.php?id=106887

MOD

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
tamlynne2
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Postby tamlynne2 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:26 am

Hi Does anybody know if this ferry has been opened? It would make my trip shorter if it is.
Many Thanks
Andrew

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
tomtemp

Postby tomtemp » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:50 am

Anyone have any further news on when this crossing is opening?I will be driving over to Veliko Turnovo in April and would go by this route if I could.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
tomtemp

Postby tomtemp » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:57 am

Anyone have any further news on when this crossing is opening?I will be driving over to Veliko Turnovo in April and would go by this route if I could.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
MOD
<b>Be Generous & Give MOD a Home</b>

Postby MOD » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:01 am

To be opened on 2nd April 2010, apparently...

http://www.novinite.com/view_news.php?id=113455

:wink: 8)

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
tomtemp

Postby tomtemp » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:09 am

Thanks for that MOD. good news at last.

Return to “Getting to & travelling in Bulgaria”