Travelling overland from UK to BG 2009

For advice, tips and information on new travel routes/prices to Bulgaria or needing internal travel advice? This is the right Forum!

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Hoowster
Mega User!
Mega User!

Travelling overland from UK to BG 2009

Postby Hoowster » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:36 pm

Well I was going to add to my posting in this section but I cant find it ...... :lol:

Just got to Bulgaria Solo from UK in 3 days and whilst its still fresh.......... :wink:

Clocked 2018 Milles and finished trip going west to east across Romania crossing at Durankulak to meet E87 to VARNA.
2 litre petrol Hyundai 16v used approx €350 worth of fuel from Dunkerque.

Roads Ok to Romania but I strongly suggest bringing a warm quilt and thermal hat if you are going to sleep in the car as you may end up like me sleeping in the mountains, in the snow in Austria.

Crossing into Romania usual problems began with the obligatory crap roads which weakened a lower ball joint after a descent into a little hole in the road... :x
Sat Nav (Gamin) didnt know that theres another 100 kms of motorway to Constanta and isnt up todate in Bucheresti so check your route with the next town always in mind!
Cops all over in Romania, so be aware there is a Vignette here! Available at Rompetrol (Petrolrom) stations...(I paid 12.69 Lei approx 4 lei = 1 Euro)
Could have got way without one but worth €4 just to know cops couldnt get me on that one!
Allow 2 days for Romania to be safe as its 50 MPH in a lot of places and sat NAV set on fastest route will take you through MIDDLE of large towns!

More Later??

8)

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Cameo
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Cameo » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:50 pm

Well it seems that you have had one hell of a journey. So just wanted to say welcome to BG. Hope that its all you want, and look forward to, and have come to know and love.

Looking forward to your next post Hoowser. Now go to bed and get some rest, OK.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Draganovo
<b>Removal Services</b>

Postby Draganovo » Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:51 am

i am just heading that way early tomorrow morning ...bg to uk..
How was the weather in Romania and hungary ?
:roll:

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
millomgirl
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby millomgirl » Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:46 am

Brings back happy(!!) memories of our drive last year, and also reminds me of what we have got to look forward to in April! We slept overnight in the van because I had the dogs, and it was freezing! The worst night was in Hungary, and even the poor dogs were shivering when we got up in the morning! :(

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
johnbaz
<b>Tradesman</b>

Postby johnbaz » Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:26 am

When you drive from Ruse to UK , Take care as you turn on to the ring road at Bucharest to the motorway . As the road that comes over the rail way line to your right is the main road . There are signs but easy to miss . You can sleep cheap in Romania and Hungary 20 euro so why sleep in your van ? And in germany my next stop 45 euro will give you a first class hotel in Bayern . Then on to Egland pre book ferry on the internet as they will charge you more if you dont , Done this 8 times now and the road i take in Romania is fine . Pay your road tax again why not ?.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
millomgirl
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby millomgirl » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:09 am

johnbaz, do these hotels cater for dogs, please?

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
johnbaz
<b>Tradesman</b>

Postby johnbaz » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:18 am

Dont know that one , But the dogs could sleep in the van ,and you in a bed . Or you could ask them .

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
johnbaz
<b>Tradesman</b>

Postby johnbaz » Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:35 am

If you would like to know some fantastic places i have stayed just pm me . As the list is long why people would sleep in a car ? when making a long trip like that . When you could turn it into fun . Well i think you are missing a lot . The drive is mostly motorway and no problem at all .

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Hoowster
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Hoowster » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:36 pm

Thanks you for the kind words Cameo on reflection it really wasnt that bad a trip I suppose. In South London we would have just called it gutty I suppose.

Why did I sleep in the car? Well when you are pushing on and you want to break the back of the journey it maybe that when the paper bags blowing across the road turn into rabbits you realise you just have to stop.... :lol: No matter where it may be....

With me that was in the mountains and rather than spend all night in the service station cafe I rolled myself up in my quilt and kipped in the car.
Through the front window I could see a huge snow capped mountain which for me gave me a quite awesome night.

There are a few things they say are essential to have in a car that may be useful even if the snow traps you on the M1.
The quilt is one, a pillow, a little food , jump leads, a tow rope, a warning triangle, reflective jacket, medical kit, fire extinguisher & travel kettle might be good too.
I saw a few accidents on the way the worst one being an upside down lorry (again in Romania)

2000 miles will test our car to the full, especially across Romania & Bulgaria.
And believe me when you are driving in the snow and you pass the gritter going up a mountain in Austria then thats when your driving gets tested too..... :lol:

Regarding Romania, it seemed to me that every town had its own cops house with his car outside or mabe a police station. Perhaps its a big brother legacy..... :?:

8)

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
millomgirl
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby millomgirl » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:45 pm

We slept in the van for the same reason as Hoowster, namely to push on asap. Also, I would never leave my dogs in the van, and go and sleep in a hotel without them. Where I go, they go!

Return to “Getting to & travelling in Bulgaria”