speed cameras in Bulgaria???????????

For advice, tips and information on new travel routes/prices to Bulgaria or needing internal travel advice? This is the right Forum!

Moderator: Moderator

bagpuss
Super User!
Super User!

speed cameras in Bulgaria???????????

Postby bagpuss » Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:50 am

Hi all,

Just got back from Bg and travelled from Sofia- Sliven/Yambol area and back again and spotted something unusual.

Whilst travelling from Sofia passing Chirpan at the very end of the motorway/dual carriageway there is a roundabout, we turn left towards Stara Zagara, about after mile I noticed a box on the other side of the road, which looked like a speed camera, another two were spotted between Stara Zagora and Nova zagora. My friend also said he has seen one near Sozopol/Primorsko way. I have also been told in the past that there is one near sunny beach.
There was no white markings on the road at the boxes, but did see an unusual sign miles away from the box, as per usual there was no speed signs anywhere near the boxes, so difficult to tell what the actual speed should have been

I don't remember seeing them in May when i did the same route.
Can anyone shed any light or have any information about the boxes.
Cheers
B.

Seedy
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Seedy » Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:27 am

The newer cameras don't need lines on the road to record speeds.

If it's "difficult to tell what the actual speed should have been" maybe a refresher in the local highway regulations might come in useful before blithely driving around? :wink: Let me add that this applies to me as much as anyone else..... :oops:

kazz
<b>Country Advisor/Property Finder</b>

Postby kazz » Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:11 pm

We also think we've seen speed cameras near Sozopol.

There are signs on the Veliko Tarnvo to Ruse road claiming 'Radar' but I don't believe them.

Seedy, I have some sympathy with those who say that it's hard to know what the speed SHOULD be. Not in terms of knowing what the general rules for speeds are (in the UK the 30MPH where there are street lights stuff) but it's not unusual in Bulgaria to have seemingly random reductions in speed on sections of straight road, it's also not unusual to have the sign informing of such reductions 'hidden' behind a tree. I don't think this 'hiding' of signs is a sinister attempt to catch people out....more likely the sign was put up in winter then the leaves came out!

I actually have a theory that there's a rule in Bulgaria that all road signs and markings must be designed and erected by non-drivers, it's the only reason I can think of why they so often don't make sense!
Last edited by kazz on Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brianj42
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby brianj42 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:41 pm

They are also appearing all the way down the E79 from Sofia to Kulata on the Greek border, I counted 12 last trip.

In the UK, 2.5 Million automatic speed camera fines go unpaid due to the cars being foreign plates and no system in place to chase. I suppose this works this way around to.....just another reason why I am holding off registering my car here, and its only been 4 years :D

thedichingang

Postby thedichingang » Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:10 pm

so brian you are happy to flout the law!
without registration i assume you have a method/process for obtaining MOT; vignette & insurance?

around VT area there are many 'radar' signs clearly displayed but i have yet to sight a fixed speed camera
john

brianj42
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby brianj42 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:29 pm

so thedichingang

My car is MOT'd, Insured in Bulgaria and has Vignette. My law flouting remains moderate speeding...........And if anyone can put their hand up and say "I never speed" on Bulgarian roads, there's a free Beer on the house.

bagpuss
Super User!
Super User!

Postby bagpuss » Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:37 pm

Thanks Kazz for your understanding reply.

Seedy, I do know the speed limits in general 50, 90, 130 km and where else there is lower speed limit, but I certainly don't do "blithely driving around" and as for me this is my lively hood and I mostly have the kids in the car when in Bg, so will not risk their lives against the numpties in BG that think they might be the next schumaker. I was merely saying that signage is far and few between and signs go up and down from 90-40 kms in a blink of an eye in places if indeed there is a sign

As for no line markings, I doubt very much that BG has the latest digital technology if the police are still using dodgy hand held radar guns and drive around in Ladas. Perhaps they are not just switched on yet. surely EU laws somewhere must state certain things like lines or signage within a distance to the box and the legal requirements, it doesn't even tell you which way or both ways in the direction of travel.

I was just raising the issue as alot of people travel from Sofia -Sliven/Bourgas areas late at night with the flight times at Sofia and not know that they are there or not as they are painted grey to blend in to the background

neilmay
Super User!
Super User!

Postby neilmay » Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:54 pm

In some ways i think speed cameras would be a good idea here.
But perhaps safer driving would be a better idea.

My car is MOT'd, Insured in Bulgaria and has Vignette. My law flouting remains moderate speeding
from brianj42.
Well if your resident than you have broken the law only 6 momths to reregister in the EU.

If as EU citizens we when change here for the better, Then if it is speeding or reristering your car the we shold obey the laws.

brianj42
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby brianj42 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:11 pm

Bulgaria is flouting EU law by having an import tax on EU cars, which it has already been taken to boot on and admitted it is in the wrong. I will wait until 2010 when the 9000lvs illegal import tax on my car will be abolished.

So, to summarize, I am breaking the law because Bulgaria is breaking the law.

Weird.

neilmay
Super User!
Super User!

Postby neilmay » Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:16 pm

Two wrongs don't make a right.

Return to “Getting to & travelling in Bulgaria”