speed cameras in Bulgaria???????????

For advice, tips and information on new travel routes/prices to Bulgaria or needing internal travel advice? This is the right Forum!

Moderator: Moderator

7RED
Super User!
Super User!

Postby 7RED » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:46 pm

Hi Scotties,

I was just about to post Podslon :lol: re that accident and that Sunday morning, some friends were driving in from SZ to the golf course in Sliven and saw 6 wrecks on route.....

Tis the season to be wary..........

7red

bigal66
Super User!
Super User!

Postby bigal66 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:39 pm

hi ,i know in the last couple of years around varna there seem to cameras every where,every set of traffic light speed cameras on the outskirt of every road and police with hand held devices.
most signs say 60km but there all wrong and only allowed 50km.regardless.
plus the other 50,000 signs they have put up.
a bl--dy nightmare know ,much prefered the racing track.
problem is you never know when your supposed to do 90, 60 ,or 50.
only been stopped once when apparently went through a stop signal on a roundabout,that was behind a tree on the wrong side to see with no road markings and nothing else on the road.(also trying to avoid the road bollards and a very big hole)with somebody 2ft behind.
also the problem is most of the signs are wrong with stop where it should be giveway and giveway where it should be stop.
i think they must have got a cheap container ship load!!!

neilburns

Postby neilburns » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:03 pm

what I dont understand is that in BG anyone can drive the car in your name so who gets the fine? How do they know who was driving it at the time? What if the car is in your company name?

maybe its better not to think too much sometimes but I am a procastrinator at times

shebry
Super User!
Super User!

Postby shebry » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:22 pm

bigal66 wrote:hi ,i know in the last couple of years around varna there seem to cameras every where,every set of traffic light speed cameras on the outskirt of every road and police with hand held devices.
most signs say 60km but there all wrong and only allowed 50km.regardless.
plus the other 50,000 signs they have put up.
a bl--dy nightmare know ,much prefered the racing track.
problem is you never know when your supposed to do 90, 60 ,or 50.
only been stopped once when apparently went through a stop signal on a roundabout,that was behind a tree on the wrong side to see with no road markings and nothing else on the road.(also trying to avoid the road bollards and a very big hole)with somebody 2ft behind.
also the problem is most of the signs are wrong with stop where it should be giveway and giveway where it should be stop.
i think they must have got a cheap container ship load!!!

Here is a true story
On my last visit two weeks ago I was caught on a radar trap coming out of Dobrich. I was clocked doing 74k in a 50k limit, mind you the equipment looked old, like an old London parking meter. I was asked to get out of the car and produce my documents, which I did, well I thought I did, but no he didn't want the hire car documents, he wanted my personal ones with which I produced my driving licence. After that he said no your passport. I said, sorry I do not have it with me even though I did. He then asked, who is that woman in the car is she Bulgarian. I said that woman happens to be my wife and no she is not Bulgarian she is Scottish (I don't know if he thought I had just picked her up on the Dobrich bypass) He then said I must phone my boss at Dobrich headquarters because you have a big problem. I said I agree, bigger than you know about. He then asked me for my address in Bulgaria, I replied I have not got one because due to fraud and organised crime by one of your fellow citizens called Dimitar Teoharov. This is the reason why I am here and in a hurry to get to my lawyer. With that he gave me back my documents and waved me good bye
My wife said on me getting back in the car, what a nice man, I think we have had a bit of luck at last :)

neilburns

Postby neilburns » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:25 pm

your very lucky, a lot of Police will make you a problem for not carrying your passport as they dont accept a UK driving licence as proof of identity.

However I have heard of some very naughty Brits when stopped in the street with no passport and asked to produce documents who show theyre driving licences saying they are UK ID cards!

shebry
Super User!
Super User!

Postby shebry » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:47 pm

neilburns wrote:your very lucky, a lot of Police will make you a problem for not carrying your passport as they dont accept a UK driving licence as proof of identity.

However I have heard of some very naughty Brits when stopped in the street with no passport and asked to produce documents who show theyre driving licences saying they are UK ID cards!

Who are all these naughty Brits that you have heard of. I don't think you have got all your facts correct because the new style driving licences are acceptable and as for being very lucky, after what we have been through in Bulgaria I don't object to a little justice coming our way

Sozopolsteve

speed cameras

Postby Sozopolsteve » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:23 pm

Regarding the speed cameras in bulgaria, There are 2 cameras on the way from Burgas to Sozopol and they both are working, there are also warning signs, if your following the traffic everyone slows up.
The radar warning signs are normally just to warn you the radar cameras and police are active, but the bulgarians normally give you a flash on the lights to let everyone know, unlike the drivers in the uk!

stevetheyorky
Super User!
Super User!

Re: speed cameras

Postby stevetheyorky » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:23 pm

Sozopolsteve wrote:Regarding the speed cameras in bulgaria, There are 2 cameras on the way from Burgas to Sozopol and they both are working, there are also warning signs, if your following the traffic everyone slows up.
The radar warning signs are normally just to warn you the radar cameras and police are active, but the bulgarians normally give you a flash on the lights to let everyone know, unlike the drivers in the uk!

As a fellow steve from sozopol I must say that the cameras near the naval base/Atia turn are working but I did not think the other one was functioning - unless they have mended it recently

steve

scasparz
Super User!
Super User!

Postby scasparz » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:28 pm

Not a speeding fan, car fuel costs a lot of money our days. However it is my understanding that speed limits on straight line motorways -that is the places where such speed traps are in most cases located- seem to be a rather ineffective means in preventing road accidents.

The following is an excerpt from the 'how to run a state for dummies' publication: :twisted:

The very purpose of speed cameras et all, aims to increase state revenue. In addition they provide politicians with the opportunity to spend public money to finance the purchase of the required gear.

Looks either is good for them.

cheers everyone

brianj42
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby brianj42 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:16 pm

I can recommend the Cobra camera detector at Technopolis for 60lvs. Its paid for itself probably 100 times over. :D

Return to “Getting to & travelling in Bulgaria”