British Airways to Varna 2010

For advice, tips and information on new travel routes/prices to Bulgaria or needing internal travel advice? This is the right Forum!

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
benson

Postby benson » Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:34 pm

could not agree more. Always used to book with BA, always got shafted by BA, and BA could not give a fig about it---its all in their rules ya know---read the small print - basically they can screw with you as much as they like--shame really....well that is my humble opinion based on my experiences...then again I guess that is what small print is for!

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Nessie
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Nessie » Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:44 pm

Well we must have been one of the lucky one's then because we have had no trouble with BA with our flights to Varna last year and the year before.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
juliea

Postby juliea » Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:49 pm

We have never had a problem with BA either.

Just booked one way Varna to Gatwick for 75 euros on 6th April, a fraction of the price crummy old wizz air want.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
parkersd
Super User!
Super User!

Postby parkersd » Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:57 pm

We've never had a problem with BA,flown with them several times over the last 3 years although my son,wife and grand-daughter are due out in May and they cancelled their flights which they then re-booked at a cheaper price for a few days later...we are flying Airbg in June (134GBP return)& they've already changed the flight time once and Balkan holidays have changed my cousins' flight times for June too (only just booked)...so it seems to me that all flights coming into Varna are 'subject to change'!!!!

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
B52
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby B52 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:42 am

Well, having used BA from Gatwick earlier this year and having been met by an obnoxious BA baggage handler who demanded to know where my return ticket was (it was my return journey as I went to the UK with Wizzair) and having to "prove" to him that I lived in Bulgaria, I decided that I wouldn't fly with them again.

Being a cheapskate though, I thought I would look to see what sort of fares they were offering now, in case they were cheaper than Wizzair. Now, we have the ludicrous situation of them displaying a choice of outbound flights, via Budapest, to Gatwick or Heathrow and the same for the return flights. However, it won't let me book Varna-Gatwick and Heathrow-Varna. I guess I can try two single fares but, lol, I thought that modern travel was all about flexibility and, if they want to compete for the travellers' money....

Lol, I have also discovered that, for the dates I am interested in, in choosing Heathrow return, they are charging 286 euros whereas by getting a single to either Gatwick or Heathrow and a single from Heathrow, for the same dates, it totals 235 euros. How can they justify that?

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
parkersd
Super User!
Super User!

Postby parkersd » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:41 am

Hi B52,

The BA flights via Budapest are their normal winter schedule unfortunately.

I questioned BA a while ago about their pricing structure as a flight from Varna-Gatwick is quite a bit more expensive than going the other way on the same plane!!!! Their response: A phone number to call somewhere in Hungary,as they are the people who deal with Eastern European flights!!!!!

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Tonyt

Postby Tonyt » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:00 pm

Sorry, but I am no good at the copying and pasting lark, but if somebody could look at novinite news where it has just been announced British Airways to suspend Gatwick to Varna as from 28th October. Cheers Tonyt

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
parkersd
Super User!
Super User!

Postby parkersd » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:04 pm

British Airways is canceling its flights between the Bulgarian Black Sea city of Varna and London, the company official has announced.

"The reasons for this decision are simply commercial. The route turned out to be unprofitable," said Emil Delibashev, British Airways Sales Manager for the Balkans.

He added that the company will continue to offer flights between Varna and London for the same price. However, the flights would be carried out by the company's partner Malev Hungarian Airlines from Varna to Budapest and by British Airways from Budapest to London.

Passengers, who have already bought tickets, would have three options – to fly on another route with British carrier, to fly with Malev or to receive their money back.

British Airways started performing year-round flights on the route Varna-London four times a week in 2006. In 2008, the flights were carried out only during the summer season and in 2010 the company decided to fly only twice a week on this route.

Delibashev has stated that the company is reconsidering its whole policy on regional flights. The routes from the Turkish cities of Antalya and Izmir to London will also be suspended.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
mandyjeancole
Super User!
Super User!

Postby mandyjeancole » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:20 pm

I find the decision by British Airways reflects the utter deterioration of air travel in general , I believe British Airways half cocked attempt to bring reliable and reasonable priced air travel to the black sea City of Varna has been a unmitigated disaster, Along with Bulgaria Air its fare structure never reflected the financial position of the bulk of its clientele with fares as ridiculous as 200 GBP one way-to London.'

As regards to air travel.... that little bit of Britishness that linked Varna to London has now been severed.. not by lack of demand but by.. Good old fashioned Greed. MJC

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Tonyt

Postby Tonyt » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:25 pm

I do believe there is worse to come. try dummy booking a package holiday with Balkan flying from Gatwick to Varna, shows nothing available. they have used Bulgaria Air for past two seasons. Manchester to Varna using BGH prefix is okay, this being the balkan Holiday Charter flights. Tonyt.

Return to “Getting to & travelling in Bulgaria”