British Airways to Varna 2010

For advice, tips and information on new travel routes/prices to Bulgaria or needing internal travel advice? This is the right Forum!

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
shebry
Super User!
Super User!

Postby shebry » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:27 pm

parkersd wrote:British Airways is canceling its flights between the Bulgarian Black Sea city of Varna and London, the company official has announced.

"The reasons for this decision are simply commercial. The route turned out to be unprofitable," said Emil Delibashev, British Airways Sales Manager for the Balkans.

He added that the company will continue to offer flights between Varna and London for the same price. However, the flights would be carried out by the company's partner Malev Hungarian Airlines from Varna to Budapest and by British Airways from Budapest to London.

Passengers, who have already bought tickets, would have three options – to fly on another route with British carrier, to fly with Malev or to receive their money back.

British Airways started performing year-round flights on the route Varna-London four times a week in 2006. In 2008, the flights were carried out only during the summer season and in 2010 the company decided to fly only twice a week on this route.

Delibashev has stated that the company is reconsidering its whole policy on regional flights. The routes from the Turkish cities of Antalya and Izmir to London will also be suspended.

With the debt's that BA have I would have thought that all their flights were and have been unprofitable, and perhaps they should look at how they have lost millions over the last year due to cabin staff strikes
Who would want to fly via Budapest and on some flights taking up to eleven hours. Not for me thank you very much
My next flight to Varna is on Wizzair for £79.98 return. Perhaps they have not got a Willie Walsh to pay and keep to the high standard of living that he is accustomed to

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Tonyt

Postby Tonyt » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:20 pm

Just to confirm some fears, I have just learnt my return flights for June 2011 are cancelled, have managed to get same dates with Wizzair, but £30 dearer than British Airways. Tonyt

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
chrisarvor
<b> Pool Supplier/Installer </b>

BA

Postby chrisarvor » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:41 am

I am gutted they are not flying direct to Gatwick because i love the legroom on BA,
and i will never get on another Bulgarian air plane due to there attitude and cramped seating ,being only 6foot ish is quite normal but the seating does not allow for extra long legs
After using Wizz this year thats the way we will go if we ever go back to the UK and its something we have decided not to do now for personal reasons
But Wizz air was good

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
bulgy

BA suspends flights from London to Varna

Postby bulgy » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:47 am

Luckily I always travel Wizz Air, Maybe its because of the competition that Wizz has given them since they started their varna flights?

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
brianj42
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby brianj42 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:14 am

BA, Ryanair, Easyjet and Whizz are ALL now reviewing all their routes and basically chopping any that doesn't make them money. But they are replacing them with routes "they think" will make them money.

If you take this down to the lowest level of any business, if an item ain't making you money for whatever reason (costs, numbers, fuel, airport taxes) then you stop selling it. Airlines are not in the business of subsidising peoples travel as much as hotels in Sunny Beach don't open if there's no customers.

Unfortunate reality.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
houseman
Super User!
Super User!

Postby houseman » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:43 am

Shebry has hit the nail on the head: BA is in financial turmoil having over-invested when competition was about to step up from so-called low-cost airlines, remaining mired in long-standing personnel contracts paying way more than the going rate.
I don't agree that they are being greedy as such, they are just desperate to balance their books without going into meltdown.
When this does not work, they will file for bankruptcy and be sold off piecemeal to financially stronger operators - if there are any!

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
spantrout
Super User!
Super User!

Postby spantrout » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:52 pm

My mother just also had her BA flights for May next year cancelled. Going via Budapest is around 30-40% more expensive. Now, to my surprise she suggested travelling with AirBG despite having had a nightmare with them this year, but, having just looked on AirBG website (which as usual is as helpful as the staff) came back with the message "no flights available at this time". I then looked at Varna Airport website which also seems to show that there are no direct flights to Gatwick anymore with AirBG, despite my mother having flown the route this May.

I know this is drifting off topic slightly, but, can anyone confirm AirBG still flies direct to Gatwick from Varna? If this route has also been dropped then options of direct flights from Varna to UK seem to be drying up very quickly.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Tonyt

Postby Tonyt » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:16 pm

air.bg or Bulgaria Air, whatever you want to call them are the carriers for Balkan Holidays from Gatwick to Varna, (only used them sept). Now go onto Balkan holidays website and do a dummy package deal to either Albena or Golden Sands using Gatwick as your departure point, it shows nothing avaiable. Bgh flights (Balkan Holiday Charter planes) are still going to Bourgas from Gatwick, but not much help if you want northwards of Varna. The in answer at my friends travel business is a possibility of a tie up with balkan and wizzair (from Luton) when we can unearth the true answer, I will post. Tonyt.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
parkersd
Super User!
Super User!

Postby parkersd » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:14 pm

Spantrout, if I read the article properly it says that the flight via Budapest should not cost any more money so I would query that.

I have been onto the Bulgaria Air website & their flights for next summer are going via Sofia with a 6 hour wait at Sofia outbound from UK and 4 hours the other way....either way,those of us in the north east of Bulgaria who wish to travel to Gatwick are stuffed!!!!
:(

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
football

Postby football » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:29 pm

Yesterday the "Sofia echo"had the headline"Expansion in Bourgas Airport",so it looks like the demand is more for that airport,than for the one in Varna.(They must have done some kind of market research.)

Return to “Getting to & travelling in Bulgaria”