RHD Minibuses Commercial Use

For advice, tips and information on new travel routes/prices to Bulgaria or needing internal travel advice? This is the right Forum!

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
brad

RHD Minibuses Commercial Use

Postby brad » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:48 pm

Having compared prices of LHD minibuses in Germany and Bulgaria with RHD minibuses in the UK it would make sense to buy one here in the UK and drive it over to use for airport transfers etc.

Question is would this cause any problems with registration or any other compliance issues? Or is it very straight forward?

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Loobs

Postby Loobs » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:51 pm

There's loads of threads about re-registering UK vehicles on here, just use the search box.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
brad

Postby brad » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:56 pm

Thanks Loobs i have done that and understand the procedure of registering vehicles for normal use but this is a commercial vehicle for commercial purposes and want to know if it is allowed to be done. Has anybody else done it?

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Loobs

Postby Loobs » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:00 pm

Ah ok, apologies.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
brad

Postby brad » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:03 pm

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
cruicky50
<b>Transport Services</b>

Postby cruicky50 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:29 pm

Hi Brad,

you will not get a licence to have fare paying passengers in a RHD bus as the main doors will exit onto on coming traffic, however if its for a guest house or hotel where there is no charge or its inclusive it should be ok.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Hippyboy
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Hippyboy » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:29 pm

Well I would have thought that having the passenger entrance doors on the wrong side of the vehicle might cause a problem . I wouldn't have thought that a responsible licensing agency could sanction a vehicle where passengers might be expected to get in out from the middle of the road . Tim .

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
brad

Postby brad » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:45 pm

There would be no fare paying passengers as it is an all inclusive package from airport to complex car park, but i do understand the dangers of the door on the wrong side.

Just checked the Mercedes Vito as side doors on both sides so this could be a solution

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Nick666
<b>Property Developer/Management</b>

Postby Nick666 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:15 pm

You will still need to be registered as you state this is a commercial venture and as such requires you by law to have hire and reward insurance.As you have said the transfer represents part of the inclusive fee and therefore is commercial.I know lots of expats who do transfers without being registered which firstly pisses off the legitmate operators and secondly if they have an accident the insurance will be null and void.I can't speak for other airports but i know burgas will soon be operating a system to stop this illegal practice by using the cctv to capture unregistered operators.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Hippyboy
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Hippyboy » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:20 pm

Maybe the Vito might be OK then , but I don't imagine there's a special category only for airport transfers , so they'd have to license the vehicle to carry passengers on other routes as well , which would be iffy without a door on the right side . Tim .

Return to “Getting to & travelling in Bulgaria”