interrail tickets BG to UK by train

For advice, tips and information on new travel routes/prices to Bulgaria or needing internal travel advice? This is the right Forum!

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
leedarkwood
Mega User!
Mega User!

interrail tickets BG to UK by train

Postby leedarkwood » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:39 am

It has been mentioned on another thread but has anyone done a trip from Bulgaria to the UK via interrail? You can't use it in the country that you are resident in but in Bulgaria you get a 50% discount to the border. We would plan to do a 10 days travels in 22 days starting at the nearest Greek railway station to us, which is Drama. Comments on surcharges would be helpful. Also what documents would prove in the UK that we were entitled to travel there, just our BG residency card or would a BG drivers license be better?

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
mememe
Super User!
Super User!

Re: interrail tickets BG to UK by train

Postby mememe » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:37 pm

leedarkwood wrote:Also what documents would prove in the UK that we were entitled to travel there, just our BG residency card or would a BG drivers license be better?

Sorry, Lee - but it's not quite clear what you're asking for here. If you were in the UK why would you need to prove you are entitled to travel there?

(Later) Ah - I have just reread it and it is clearer now!

I would guess that your BG card would probably be preferable.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
scot47
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby scot47 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:20 pm

You have to pay extra for sleepers and I know that in Germany Deutsche Bahn levy an extra charge on some trains. (ICE - Inter City Expresses)

I am still planning to get an Interrrail Card in BG and travel to UK using it.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
RICO
Super User!
Super User!

interail tickets bg to uk

Postby RICO » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:50 pm

can you get such a ticket to travel from uk to bg and then return,i am thinking of a friend who can,t fly, he has driven in the past, anyone got any idea of cost compared to driving?

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
scot47
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby scot47 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:54 pm

Dunno abt cost from UK to BG. If you buy the ticket in BG you pay 1050 Leva for 30 days.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
VickyC
Super User!
Super User!

Postby VickyC » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:13 pm

That sounds a fantastic idea. I did Interrail 3 times in my youth and spent time in the old Yugoslavia. Would love to travel by train all over Europe again from BG....maybe one day we will take an adventure!

Return to “Getting to & travelling in Bulgaria”