renewal of driving licence when you reach 70 yrs old.

For advice, tips and information on new travel routes/prices to Bulgaria or needing internal travel advice? This is the right Forum!

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
gimlet
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby gimlet » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:21 pm

This you should do anyway as your british licence is technically invalid if you are resident in another country over 6 months

Don't think that holds good for EU. My understanding was that you can keep your EU home country licence as long as you want until you hit a medical test age. The problem will come when it runs out as only the country of residence can issue a licence.

DVLA say that you can drive cars on an EEA licence until aged 70 or for three years after becoming resident, whichever is the longer period. A moment's thought will show that if you move to UK at 67 years of age you can drive for three years (because the periods are the same length). But if you move the the UK at 70 can you drive for 3 years? It would seem so because there is only one period. If you move to UK at 20 years of age and your licence is valid till 70 you can on the authority of this DVLA statement drive on it for 50 years.

This EU page provides yet another reason for not taking up residence in Bulgaria (apart from keeping the generous "grandfather" UK entitlements) http://ec.europa.eu/youreurope/citizens ... dex_en.htm

Driving bans (revoked licences)

I live in Spain and recently received a driving ban there - on my Belgian licence. Can I still use my licence in Belgium?

NO - A driving ban issued by the country in which you have your normal residence, applies in all countries, worldwide.

I recently received a driving ban while on holiday in Spain. I live in Belgium, where my licence was issued - can I still use my licence there?

YES - A driving ban issued by the country you were visiting, only applies to this country. When you leave, the authorities must return your licence to you.

So if you think you are more likely to be banned in BG than UK don't take up residence in BG !!

It has to be said that the legal infrastructure for recognition of Community wide bans may not be wholly in place, but that's not much help when your licence is in the Officer's grubby mutt and he won't give it back. My general policy is to have an International Driving Licence wherever I am on the basis that it costs only a tenner and gives the officer something to grab in his grubby mutt. It's got lots of foreign writing on it as well.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
leedarkwood
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby leedarkwood » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:23 pm

Oooh I hadn't thought of that. I noticed that most people here only had licenses that were 'b' and that I had a lot more letters on my license. Time to go and ask locally.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
BROWNIE
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Postby BROWNIE » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:40 am

My husband is 70 later this month - we did it all on line - cheated a bit and put my sisters address so - change of address and 70 years old - no problems whatsoever - thought we might have to have eye tests etc but no - it arrived at my sisters house 2 weeks after applying - we are going to England very shortly so will pick it up then but could just as easily have my sister post it to us - it is only valid for 3 years buit that is because his photo is then 10 years old and has to be renewed again - I also believe that you cannot change an English licence for a bulgarian one if it is about to run out so if we have done it 4 years ago when we arrived here it would have been ok - may well change it to a Bulgarian one when we get back from England

Return to “Getting to & travelling in Bulgaria”