Page 1 of 2

renewal of driving licence when you reach 70 yrs old.

Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:59 am
by elaine48
My husband becomes 70 next month and his driving licence will need to be renewed. Does anyone out there have experience of applying for this renewal in Bulgaria as we live here full-time now.

Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:14 pm
by MOD
Hi elaine48, there is brief mention of this here: ... +70#381410

Can anyone expand on this conundrum further please?

Mod 8)

Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:09 pm
by mickw

driving licence

Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:18 pm
by alig
:cry: I believe, you also have to renew your picture licence, every 10 years, by filling in a form, sending an up to date picture and 20 quid!!! :roll:

Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:32 pm
by theweeton
As your british licence is still valid and you live here full time why not just excahnge it for a Bulgarian licence? which I believe you don't have to renew at 70 and you keep all your existing groups

This you should do anyway as your british licence is technically invalid if you are resident in another country over 6 months

Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:44 pm
by Sapper
How do you exchange a British licence for a Bulgarian one, has anybody done it? Jack
Elaine I have PMd you. Pat.

BG licence

Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:51 pm
by BigDanny
I looked into this last Winter as one Police Ossifer who had stopped me locally a couple of times pointed out that as I was here for over 1 year that I should have a bg card.
So went to KAT and asked them. They looked at me blankly and said "Don't know" and asked that I come back in a couple of days and would find out. So duly went back a few days later and was told that if I only wanted the Car driving bit then they could do it no problem. But I said my card has the small trucks up to 7.5 tons and trailers and minibuses on it. They said that would have to have medical certificate/examination AND a pschological test. I enquired if this was in English like their driving test is meant to be and got the reply that was only in bulgarian but I could take along my own translator. At this point I said that my translator could tell me the answers and they wouldn't be any the wiser. They just looked at me blankly. I even tried to argue that under EU rules I should get a straight swap but they said not. I don't mind the medical test but the psychological test where I have to provide my own translator is pushing it. So I said that would probably be best to leave it for now until they organised things a bit better. Ie test in English or they provide a translator. They agreed strangely enough.
So back to the original posters question. I guess if you provide a medical certificate you will get a standard licence to drive a car which is the norm in UK for over 70. But worth checking at your local KAT as they seem to make up the rules as they see fit and to fit the problem.
Hope this helps

Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:18 pm
by Sapper
Thanks for the info Danny, very helpful for me with just a car. Sorry you had all the problems though, don't blame you for making a stand. Jack

Driving licence

Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:18 pm
by croxleydog
Hi Guys,
Had to renew my licence as my photo had expired.Rather than send to UK taking many weeks, I exchanged mine for a BG one as I didnt want to be stopped without any proof.Checked with my friend the chief of KAT in VT and was told that a copy would not be OK,so I have given up my entitlement to 44ton truck driving(I am retired) for a Bulgarian class A,B,M or motorbike and car.Fairly simple, but needed to get the photo cert of long term residence before they would issue it plus a medical even though im not quite 65. Not a huge problem after 5 years here Im used to being in a qeau but normally the wrong one.Cheap as chips if you do it yourself.

Driving licence

Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:21 pm
by croxleydog
Sorry Folks,
Should have said my licence expires at 70, probabaly after me