Crossing EU/Non EU Borders, Driving Someone Else's VEHICLE

For advice, tips and information on new travel routes/prices to Bulgaria or needing internal travel advice? This is the right Forum!

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
spantrout
Super User!
Super User!

Postby spantrout » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:45 pm

within BG what i said above is actually fact

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
owain
<b>Property Sales</B>

Postby owain » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:12 pm

I've driven different peoples cars to Greece before and after BG's entry to the EU and I've never had any problems. I did drive a clients car from BG to Holland last year and was advised to have a Notarized letter done but it was only the Serbs who checked it. It's the insurance that they're more concerned about if they do check.
But if your just thinking of going to Greece, you wont have any problems now, they haven't checked any car paperwork with myself since 2007 and I go across 10 to 20 times a year.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Loobs

Postby Loobs » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:09 pm

I've driven friends and relations vehicles from the UK to Spain (Spanish registered) and Italy (UK registered, LHD) for them, with not a jot of paperwork other than being a named driver on the insurance, so not across the Greek border. For Italy, we pre-bought the Swiss Toll badge. I have never been stopped on any of my trips (just wait now) in hire cars or otherwise. If it is an EU border, I would be surprised if they stop you.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
ciuccati
<b>Property Sales/Transport Services</b>

Postby ciuccati » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:10 pm

FACTS:

You will sail through EU borders: Greece / Romania

Some non-EU borders like Turkey and Serbia (also Montenegro which you mention in your last post) will ask for POA if the car is not in your name

(green card has nothing to with this as the question is proving ownership or authority to drive the vehicle)

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
haddockman

Postby haddockman » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:22 pm

Would such a letter be needed for a car registered to a Bulgarian company where the company director is driving it?

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
ciuccati
<b>Property Sales/Transport Services</b>

Postby ciuccati » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:55 am

haddockman wrote:Would such a letter be needed for a car registered to a Bulgarian company where the company director is driving it?

There's nothing on your vehicle documents showing you are the company owner so, if asked, you must prove you own the company which owns the vehicle.

For Turkey you should have your company certificate as well which should be in English or Turkish.

Serbia has on occasion asked me for this too though never a translation.

Macedonia never.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Moscow_Wolf
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Moscow_Wolf » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:23 am

Thanks for the replies. I guess that I should have titled this thread, Crossing EU and NON EU Borders using someone else's Vehicle.

Not sure if I can edit it now, but will try.

Cheers.

EDIT. Topic Title now changed.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Simonita
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Simonita » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:23 am

This enterprise sounds a bit risky to me. The owner won't give POA, which sort of suggests he doesn't approve. Does he even know of the proposed use? What happens if there is an accident - what will he say then? Whatever the documentary requirements, seems to me that you could be making yourself hostage to the owner's whim.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
MarkMc
<b>Language Tutor</b>

Postby MarkMc » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:33 pm

I've driven my bg registered car several times to Ukraine which is in my company name. They have never asked for proof that I own the company and all i've done is handed over the green card and 'talonche' to the border guards. I remember about 5 years ago at Ruse border they wanted to see my company Bulstat card, but since then ive crossed into Romania at least 20 times and never been asked for more than my 'talonche'/car ownership document

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Moscow_Wolf
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Moscow_Wolf » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:09 pm

Simonita wrote:This enterprise sounds a bit risky to me. The owner won't give POA, which sort of suggests he doesn't approve. Does he even know of the proposed use? What happens if there is an accident - what will he say then? Whatever the documentary requirements, seems to me that you could be making yourself hostage to the owner's whim.

There is NOTHING risky here nor have I suggested that the owner 'WON'T' give a POA. Just saying that they have NO motivation to do so. Please stick to the topic which is about crossing EU & Non EU Borders when driving someone else's vehicle.

Thank you.

Return to “Getting to & travelling in Bulgaria”