Crossing EU/Non EU Borders, Driving Someone Else's VEHICLE

For advice, tips and information on new travel routes/prices to Bulgaria or needing internal travel advice? This is the right Forum!

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
truckyboy
Super User!
Super User!

Postby truckyboy » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:14 pm

As a International trucker for over 30 years, we always carried an official document from the company stating that i had permission to driver vehicle registration blah, blah, blah..often i would get stopped ( cos of the gb plates ) and when checking my credentials, always asked for 1. registration document 2. Permission to drive letter.

In your circumstances, i like you,would possibly not be bothered driving in Bg...but i would never myself, attempt to take a vehicle out of the country without authorisation, and it looks like you dont have it. As you say, it would be madness to spend a large amount of cash, on getting the old girl working again, only to have it confiscated, for the cost of a piece of paper.
I personally, would persevere, and get the previous owner, to type a letter of authorisation, sign it, then post it, or e.mail it, that would solve all your problems and anxieties....good luck

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Moscow_Wolf
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Moscow_Wolf » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:37 pm

truckyboy wrote:In your circumstances, i like you,would possibly not be bothered driving in Bg...but i would never myself, attempt to take a vehicle out of the country without authorisation, and it looks like you dont have it. As you say, it would be madness to spend a large amount of cash, on getting the old girl working again, only to have it confiscated, for the cost of a piece of paper.
I personally, would persevere, and get the previous owner, to type a letter of authorisation, sign it, then post it, or e.mail it, that would solve all your problems and anxieties....good luck

SOUND Advice there Trucky and I agree with you. Probably going outside the confines of my own thread, but I was thinking that if the OWNER in the UK went to a Solicitor and with all the right details relating to VIN numbers, Registration plates, names etc. in letter form giving me the Right or Power to use or whatever this vehicle, got it stamped by the Solicitor and then posted it to me, that I could get that officially translated here and and a notary stamp this end on the official translation? Might be that I need to go searching for some POA Topic!

There is NO way that I can see the owner going to the Bulgarian Embassy in London to get some Bulgarian stamp and this is why I was saying that the owner is not motivated to help me.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
spantrout
Super User!
Super User!

Postby spantrout » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:22 am

As you said MW if you wanted POA on a BG reg car you would need an notarised document (which would need to be notarised in BG), quite possibly the owner would need to be present at that meeting.

More hassle than it's worth.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
booboo
Super User!
Super User!

Postby booboo » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:28 am

MW do you feel you own this vehicle? I mean what was the deal struck which amounted to you spending many thousands of lev to get it running? That is not my business but what I am getting to is would it not be an option to simply register the car in your name here in BG? Then problem solved. I know that will still require some paperwork in terms of the seller and yourself making an akt with the use of an advokat, BUT what occurred to me is if the owner does not officially sell you the car then the annual tax will continue to accrue under his/her name (perhaps company name).

Maybe you are paying the tax, I don't know, but if you explain that fines will accrue in their name you will perhaps find they find motivation to help you. For the actual fact as it stands right now, I would be AMAZED if you don't have any problems crossing Europe in someone elses car, and impounding of the vehicle seems the most likely outcome to me. BUT hey, who knows. In BG you have to carry your documents for your vehicle as far as I am aware, so any stolen car would probably be complete with documents in a similar fashion to the one you will be driving. Border Police will know this.

Good luck

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
haddockman

Postby haddockman » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:45 am

If the municipal tax is not paid, you won't be able to get a technical test done. That will open the door to the police taking interest in the car.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Moscow_Wolf
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Moscow_Wolf » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:20 am

booboo wrote:MW do you feel you own this vehicle? I mean what was the deal struck which amounted to you spending many thousands of lev to get it running? That is not my business but what I am getting to is would it not be an option to simply register the car in your name here in BG? Then problem solved. I know that will still require some paperwork in terms of the seller and yourself making an akt with the use of an advokat, BUT what occurred to me is if the owner does not officially sell you the car then the annual tax will continue to accrue under his/her name (perhaps company name).

Maybe you are paying the tax, I don't know, but if you explain that fines will accrue in their name you will perhaps find they find motivation to help you. For the actual fact as it stands right now, I would be AMAZED if you don't have any problems crossing Europe in someone elses car, and impounding of the vehicle seems the most likely outcome to me. BUT hey, who knows. In BG you have to carry your documents for your vehicle as far as I am aware, so any stolen car would probably be complete with documents in a similar fashion to the one you will be driving. Border Police will know this.

Good luck

Okay, I really did NOT want to go here, but suffice it to say, that I made a deal with whom I thought was the rightful owner to repair HIS van and buy it off him. The van was lying in bits in a garden of a place he was staying at. He didn't have the money at the time for the repairs so I got the van towed to a Renault garage in Yambol and told the Mechanic to give the vehicle a thorough going over and bring it to UK MOT test standard.

He (the Mechanic) fixed the problem for which the van had been lying in bits for months in a garden which was to replace a bodge-job alternator repair with a re-conditioned alternator from Sliven, but on fixing some other odds and ends including some tracking rods, he discovered that the Bosch Common Rail Pump was faulty. After numerous trips to Bosch Service in Burgas they eventually came to the conclusion that it was kapputt.

I was told that the price for a new one was circa 4k Lev (this is erroneous information, but I didn't have the opportunity or time to check) so then he/I went on along search to find another secondhand one. Eventually the Mechanic found one from a Megane and changed it together with four (can't remember the technical name now, but say the Igniter's for want of the proper word). The van got going, but I had a bill of 3500 Lev.

We reckoned at the time that the van was worth about 8-10K Lev, but then I had to pay for the Bulgarian MOT, Insurance and Road Tax which again was not a problem. The vehicle did and does however, require FOUR new or secondhand tyres as they're not UK road legal and so, in my opinion, they're not safe here.

Now, somewhere in all of this process, I find out that the 'owner' is not the owner because the documents are in his Wife's name and they're going through a break-up and she is already back in the UK. :( The guy who I thought was the registered owner who has lost his license here and is still awaiting the Court appeal can't drive it anyway and so tells me to just use it and we'll sort it out later. So, I use the van for my own purposes and look after it as though it is my own. Then this guy, returns to the UK as well and as far as I know, has little or no intention to return. Despite, numerous emails to him, he doesn't reply to any of them, BUT his Wife eventually does.

The van goes for a month or two and then, all the STOP warning lights come on. In short, the Yambol Mechanic tells me it is just the on-board computer that needs resetting, but the problem gets worse and the vehicle just keeps dying at road junctions with complete loss of power and is quite dangerous at night as all the lights go out too.

I eventually drive it to Burgas Official Renault Service and pay for the diagnostics and they tell me that the Bosch Common Rail Pump needs replacing and that it costs 1350 Lev plus labour. I drive it back to Yambol and tell the Mechanic to sort it out. He says that he can't, bring me the part and I'll fix it for free. I ask for assistance from the UK end of the ownership about getting the reconditioned pump for 200-300 Pounds and sending it out, no reply. So the van just sits at the Renault garage for nearly one year.

Only now, do I get around to trying to resolve this problem and the price of a new pump is now 1500 Lev plus of course, I don't know what else might have been changed or has packed up during this time. I guess the battery will need replacing, it still needs four tyres, tax, MOT, Insurance and of course, I find out that the vehicle is not even registered in the Yambol Municipality although, I can do this and pay the fines if/when necessary.

So, the whole point of my thread is, if I spend more money on this millstone, could I drive it across EU/Non EU Borders and it seems that I could have problems or, I might not.

I decided during the night as a result of the replies here to approach the legal owner of this vehicle again and ask if she will sort out some kind of a Power of Attorney for me (or someone else if I'm not trusted) to be able to transfer/sell this vehicle. I would just like to get all if not some of my money back, but to get this, the vehicle needs to in running condition otherwise, you'll get scrap value.

Now, I appreciate that the legal owner can read this and certainly will be informed of this post by folk that know her on Facebook. I have NO problem with that as I have nothing to hide nor, am I trying to rip anyone off. I would just like to get the damned thing sorted once and for all or, just walk away and leave the van to rot.

Now, there you have the explanation from my side and PLEASE DO NOT make comment to this post as it is outside the boundaries of the thread title and MOD will step in. If you have any comments to make for or against then please do it by PM.

Thank you.

Return to “Getting to & travelling in Bulgaria”