Need some travel advice

For advice, tips and information on new travel routes/prices to Bulgaria or needing internal travel advice? This is the right Forum!

Moderator: Moderator

Tubs
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Need some travel advice

Postby Tubs » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:59 am

Hi all
Im travelling back to the uk to pick up xmas gifts off family for my kids. I need some advice on the most cost effect way of getting there. On the way here we stopped of a few times camping, this was in the summer though. The route will prolly be Romania - Hungary - Austria - Germany and France. Any input about where to stop over on the trip with secure/safe parking for the van and cost cutting ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
Tubs

B52
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby B52 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:16 am

Could try Cleverhotel about 10km from St Polten, north of the E70, west of Vienna. Going the Romania route we usually stop around that area. Look thru http://www.booking.com

We usually only do the one stop and then get the overnight ferry from HoH or, if Calais/Dunkirk, stay in a hotel near the ferry and get the first one in the morning.

bigbulg
<b>Legal Services</b>

Postby bigbulg » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:49 am

http://www.booking.com/hotel/ro/kalypso ... tAodMVwL2Q
I have used this place in Arad, Romania, a few times now, its close to the border, clean, friendly and has secure parking, 25 Euro too. Its about a days drive from BG so its perfect.

Tubs
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Postby Tubs » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:15 pm

Thanks guys, i gave http://www.booking.com/ a look, seems to be the right kind of thing i need, need to spend more time looking through. I was hoping to get close to the Austria/Hungary border on day 1, might be pushing it a bit though.

jinx57
<b>Property Finder</b>

Postby jinx57 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:48 pm

On the Romania Hungary border there's a service station and a lodge house and a restaurant. Have paid in there with UK credit card and they were happy to take it. If we take the long Europe route back we head for there for a stop. Then there's a Resthoff in Austria just before you get to Vienna

You should make the lodge house on the border late if you start early in BG and don't stop to do interesting things on the way through Romania!

qwerty
Super User!
Super User!

Postby qwerty » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:41 pm

I slept in the car both there and back, no better security and no cheaper hotel....I will just add that I am a man and dont care too much how disheveled I become after a few days of sleeping in a car, I understand it not for everyone, BUT makes for a really cheap trip :lol:

Tubs
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Postby Tubs » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:17 pm

I would sleep in my van if its safe to do so, you here stories of people getting turned over while they sleep which puts me off a little

qwerty
Super User!
Super User!

Postby qwerty » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:07 pm

I slept in the car both there and back, no better security and no cheaper hotel....I will just add that I am a man and dont care too much how disheveled I become after a few days of sleeping in a car, I understand it not for everyone, BUT makes for a really cheap trip :lol:

jinx57
<b>Property Finder</b>

Postby jinx57 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:22 am

qwerty wrote:I slept in the car both there and back, no better security and no cheaper hotel....I will just add that I am a man and dont care too much how disheveled I become after a few days of sleeping in a car, I understand it not for everyone, BUT makes for a really cheap trip :lol:

have slept in the car in Romania and Germany when driving alone - for safety pull into a truckers stop

k9uxl

travel advice

Postby k9uxl » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:30 am

hi
like the other guys have mentioned you can make the trip as cheap or expensive as you like my next trip will be my 41st in all types of vehicle and ive always done the romanian route as you mentioned .
my house is about 60miles from the ruse crossing and i do the romanian leg of the trip in one go about 10to 12 hours total only stopping to refuel proberbly the once
then after crossing in to hungary stoping at the 1st motorway services usualy for 5 or 6 hours rest ive never encounterd any problems parking up in service areas i avoid the unlite parking pullins and depending on day of week and times you will find most entrances blocked by trucks i also try and time my long breakes before major rush hours when going round the major citys ie budapest wein frankfurt brussels
my last trip was last week leaving 930am last wednesday arriving home in the nw preston 5pm friday this may be slow to some drivers but about average for me i droped a freind of in yorkshire so made a detour and the slowest part of my trip was up from dover via the a1 good luck with your journey be safe

Return to “Getting to & travelling in Bulgaria”