L/Rover Discovery trip FEB 2012

For advice, tips and information on new travel routes/prices to Bulgaria or needing internal travel advice? This is the right Forum!

Moderator: Moderator

njw
Super User!
Super User!

L/Rover Discovery trip FEB 2012

Postby njw » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:17 pm

Hi Guys, i have been a member of My BG for some 6 years now and have buiilt a cpl of houses in the Rhodopi Region in a village called Momchilovtsi.
Although having visited BG dozens of times i have never had cause to drive there by car although always wanted to [free time being a factor mostly]. Well this year "Feb" i am taking a Land Rover out there with a mate and leaving it there [The car not the mate] .
Now i know that there are many posts on here about the routes and regs etc and i have read some of them over the years and some recently BUT As most posts are older ones now ,can anyone tell me the best route to go and what we need to do to be totally legal.
1/. We intend driving over as owner of the car and leaving it in BG with the new owner.
2/. We have to watch the money side of things as usual, so most expensive route not a good idea.
3/.We are up for an "interesting "drive and we have 5-6 days to complete the return journey.
4/. Is it best to make the journey with stopovers and B&B it for a night or crash on thro no stopping .
5/.Are there any "things" we can take to sell to help towards our petrol costs.

Any suggestions about this subject will be greatly appreciated .
We will be doing a diary of the trip to post on here when back so keep yer eyes peeled.
Cheers guys and a Happy New Year to you all and good luck.

teddiebear
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Postby teddiebear » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:34 pm

one BIG tip on the driving front is,undiluted screen wash in your bottle,and carry plenty of spare screen wash,cause if its freezing outside the diluted screenwash will freeze and you are in the poo

brianj42
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby brianj42 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:00 pm

Uk through Europe to Venice, night in Venice then Ferry to Igouminista in Greece, then drive through Greece to Exochi and up to your place. Will take about 4 days and avoid the icey snowey regions, nice warm Greece. Couple of days at home and then back to Sofia airport.
Last edited by brianj42 on Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

owain
<b>Property Sales</B>

Postby owain » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:02 pm

If time & money are the main concerns then you have 2 options really. The "Serbia" Route or the "Hungary/Romania" route.
The Serbia route is the quickest and easiest but there is always the question of your vehicle being insured to drive through Serbia.The requirement to hold a green card is no longer in effect from 1 January 2012 but you are advised to confirm that your insurance company recognises that your policy covers Serbia.
As you're travelling in the Winter months,you should also check the laws of some of the Countries you're travelling through. In some countries, winter tyres are mandatory so it's worth fitting these before you leave, though you will have to inform your UK insurer of this as it's seen as a modification to the car :roll:
The Hungary/Romania route isn't that bad if your crossing into Bulgaria via Calafat/Vidin. It's further than the Serbia route but the cost is around the same, you also have less hassle than you do with the Serbian border police.

LNGroup
<b>Property Management</b>

Postby LNGroup » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:12 pm

Good timing!....I have just arrived back in Bourgas 2 days ago from the UK driving a Land Rover Discover,having travelled over to Scotland just before Christmas!!

I travelled back from the UK across the Channel, Dover to Dunquerque, 44 Euros, with DFDS Seaways, then my route back was Belgium, Germany, Austria,Hungary, Serbia, very simple route and motorway all the way to NIS in Serbia which is around 100km from the Bulgarian Border.

You will need a green card if you are going the Serbia route, I have done the Romanian route but find it longer, the roads in Serbia are excellent.

As the other poster said plenty of screenwash, the UK stuff doesn`t really have the strength so use undiluted, I also treat the glass with RAIN X from Halfords which is really helpful, and carry several bottles of water in the car.

You will need high vis vests,(must be within reach when in Austria) warning triangle, spare bulbs, shovel, snow chains, fire extinguisher and first aid kit, there are different rules in each country but that will cover everything.

I also carry spare belts for the engine, spare wheel bearing kit and a spare waterpump, these items are the most likely to go on a Land Rover Discovery and they are really cheap to have in the back just in case.

I also have euro breakdown cover too just in case.

I would also invest in a cheap satnav, it`s a simple route but less stressful with satnav help.

There are Vignettes to buy for Austria, it`s a sticker, for Hungary, you pay and get a receipt, keep the receipt!, the cost is Austria 13 Euros for 10 Days , minimum and Hungary 4 Euros, you can buy both from virtually any petrol station near the borders.

There are loads of rest areas for the entire journey and lots of motels by the motorways many around 10 - 15 euros a night.

The motorway in Serbia has three toll sections which works out around 15 euros in total, there is no other vignette to pay, if you go the Romania route you will need a vignette there anyway.

If you want any more detailed info pm me and I`ll be happy to give you more info.

LNGroup

Postby LNGroup » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:14 pm

cheers Owain, didnt know that about the Green card, the border Police were excellent both times,straight through, I never get any hassle doing this route, looking at other posts it seems to be people with vans full of all their worldly goods that get stopped and checked.

brianj42
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby brianj42 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:19 pm

On top of which I see mentioned sat nav. Get a second hand one off ebay but make sure it has Petrol stations, restaraunts, ATM's & Hotel finder on it. We found this invaluable en-route as you just ask it to find nearby hotels and it gives you all the options. Safer than waiting till its dark and then driving aimlessly looking for somewhere.

njw
Super User!
Super User!

Postby njw » Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:25 pm

Thanks for the replies guys ,keep em coming. LN,what was your overall costs roughly for the trip .We reckon we shud get about 30miles to the gallon so not too bad

Moscow_Wolf
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Moscow_Wolf » Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:31 pm

I don't think you mentioned whether the DISCO is petrol or diesel. If the latter, I would buy some fuel additive for freezing conditions.

I only experienced this once before in a DISCO in Russia. It is like you cannot get enough revs or power to pull away. It cleared eventually, but I had to 'hip-hop' back to base. After that lesson, I bought and added the diesel stuff. no more problems.

Some folk will say you can add some petrol to the diesel, but you need to know how much and when hence, my advice, if you're driving a diesel in the Rhodope Region during February, but the additive.

LNGroup

Postby LNGroup » Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:34 pm

Was getting average 34 to the gallon, just me in the car, not too much luggage average speed 100kph, taking it easy all the way, fuel costs vary between 1.08 GPB and 1.26 GPB per litre....fill up just off the motorways, much cheaper!

Only other costs were the vignettes and tolls....it`s a great journey, much easier than you would imagine.and passing some interesting areas.....I tend to travel through or close to Brussels, Munich, Vienna, Budapest....which has very confusing and poor signs in the city centre....Belgrade, etc

Return to “Getting to & travelling in Bulgaria”