L/Rover Discovery trip FEB 2012

For advice, tips and information on new travel routes/prices to Bulgaria or needing internal travel advice? This is the right Forum!

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
mrmike

lngroup

Postby mrmike » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:29 pm

how much did the trip cost all together excluding digs thanks mike

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
owain
<b>Property Sales</B>

Postby owain » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:37 pm

You can buy your vignettes online now if you prefer: http://www.tolltickets.com/country/products.aspx?lang=en-GB&mnu=c
ViaMichelin also gives you a good idea of the cost, break your trip up into stages when using the site,otherwise it will just give you a direct route:
http://www.viamichelin.com/

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
LNGroup
<b>Property Management</b>

Postby LNGroup » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:40 pm

I haven`t worked it out, wasn`t keeping tabs but you can check what route that you want to use on www.viamichelin.com and get the total mileage for the journey that you want to do and the car that you are travelling in then work out the cost from there

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
stewarty
drunken lout

Postby stewarty » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:33 pm

LNGroup wrote
The motorway in Serbia has three toll sections which works out around 15 euros in total, there is no other vignette to pay

Surely you went through Slovenia, going via Serbia route? Which has the most expensive vignette @15 euro for such a short distance!

Unless something has changed, anyone any updates?

stewarty

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
owain
<b>Property Sales</B>

Postby owain » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:26 pm

The Slovenian vignette is still 15 Euroshttp://www.slovenia.info/?faq=199&lng=2 but I think LNgroup entered Serbia via Hungary.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
LNGroup
<b>Property Management</b>

Postby LNGroup » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:01 pm

you are correct Owain I came across from Vienna to Budapest, then straight south towards Szged, I don`t go through Slovenia as it seemed a hassle looking through some other forum posts.....Austria`s vignette is only 2 euros cheaper than the toll system in Serbia so for Serbia it isn`t that bad really, also the road is excellent all the way from the Hungarian border through Serbia until the last 60 miles from Nis to Kalotina which is an A road.....there are a few road works in places but literally a few short stretches which didnt slow me down at all....even passing through Belgrade is simple and straight through.

There are literally hundreds of route options for this journey, it`s not a particularly cheap journey, its a long way and you will spend a lot on fuel, and personally I`m happy to pay 15 euros to go through Serbia for near empty well surfaced, well sign posted motorways with lots of petrol stations with rest areas, restaurants and clean toilets....it`s a real joy after the uk motorways :)

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
UKfoxy

Same trip

Postby UKfoxy » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:41 pm

I'll be doing the same trip in a diesel discovery sometime in march so it will be interesting to hear your tales!:roll:

I've sent you a PM :)

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
jadamwilliams
<b>Transport Services/Translations</b>

Postby jadamwilliams » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:06 pm

Moscow_Wolf wrote:I don't think you mentioned whether the DISCO is petrol or diesel. If the latter, I would buy some fuel additive for freezing conditions.

I only experienced this once before in a DISCO in Russia. It is like you cannot get enough revs or power to pull away. It cleared eventually, but I had to 'hip-hop' back to base. After that lesson, I bought and added the diesel stuff. no more problems.

Some folk will say you can add some petrol to the diesel, but you need to know how much and when hence, my advice, if you're driving a diesel in the Rhodope Region during February, but the additive.

Euro 5 diesel or Euro diesel standard is suitable to -25C (ie thats its freezing point) - any colder than that and it will be pretty difficult to start the engine anyway - l have heard stories of Russian truckers lighting fires under their engines to get them going - but probably not something that you will get away with in an Austrian service station...

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
RuthandPhil
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Postby RuthandPhil » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:59 am

Done the journey 3 times now (1st time in older Discovery) The Metropolis is petrol & we kept no account on how much it cost but we got home - from Devon to Bulgaria in 2 & half days. If you worry about the cost get a cheaper car!

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Manofross

Postby Manofross » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:41 am

Hi everyone
We are driving over at the end of March, does anyone know or recommend accommodation on route or how we can find what is available, eg. motels as we are taking our dog, or any other information you have as this will be our first trip by road.

thanks in antisipation,

Manofross

Return to “Getting to & travelling in Bulgaria”