registering and insuring a UK car in Bulgaria

For advice, tips and information on new travel routes/prices to Bulgaria or needing internal travel advice? This is the right Forum!

Moderator: Moderator

Liliputian

Re: registering and insuring a UK car in Bulgaria

Postby Liliputian » Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:23 pm

Just an update which might prove useful for someone in the future. I ended up keeping it on UK plates and insuring it Europe-wide, and crucially the policy allowed me a 7-day window to regularise it - basically get it MOT'd and taxed in the UK. I got the car checked out and serviced in Bulgaria before driving it back for the pre-booked MOT, and had no problems on the journey. Thanks again for all the advice.

mememe
Super User!
Super User!

Postby mememe » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:09 pm

Liliputian wrote:Just an update which might prove useful for someone in the future. I ended up keeping it on UK plates and insuring it Europe-wide, and crucially the policy allowed me a 7-day window to regularise it - basically get it MOT'd and taxed in the UK. I got the car checked out and serviced in Bulgaria before driving it back for the pre-booked MOT, and had no problems on the journey. Thanks again for all the advice.

Thanks very much for taking the trouble to report back in with the final outcome. It's always interesting and good to know and as you say, the info could be useful to someone else in the future......

Although it got you there safely, I'm pretty dubious about how (although you very sensibly got the vehicle serviced) a European-cover insurance policy can side-step the requirement for the vehicle to be proven to be roadworthy and, additionally, obviate the legal requirement within Europe to show this by having a current and valid certificate of roadworthiness from the country of the vehicle's registration.

Certainly you can, in theory, 'loophole' your way across the UK on arrival for a 'pre-booked MOT test', but I am pretty certain that the same rule doesn't apply in other countries in Europe when in transit. It would only need one awkward, informed and international - or even one disbelieving UK policeman to cause you some problems, I fear.

Thankfully though, all my concerns remain untested as you (presumably) neither got stopped, nor had an accident en route. That's very good news... :-)

All the best!

truckyboy
Super User!
Super User!

Postby truckyboy » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:57 pm

i usually drive uk - bg, and return every year, and the only documents are registration document for proof of ownership, never been asked for mot or other documents apart from a passport.

Return to “Getting to & travelling in Bulgaria”