Back to pets again

For advice, tips and information on new travel routes/prices to Bulgaria or needing internal travel advice? This is the right Forum!

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
millomgirl
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby millomgirl » Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:50 pm

We are thinking of driving over with out dogs. I have heard of several people who have done this, but I just wonder how easy/difficult it would be at border crossings etc. :roll:

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
leedarkwood
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby leedarkwood » Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:50 pm

I think Bulgaria air costs about 8 quid a kilo of total weight of pet and carrier. You need an approved carrier, and I am told the best way to get them is to shop online, making sure that your pets can stand and lie down in comfort. I think the cats can travel together in same container. Provide the handling crew with a bottle of water and some plastic containers, and they should water them before they load them. You will almost certainly have to ship them via Sofia I think. You will need export licenses from defra but not pet passports.

Lee

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
leedarkwood
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby leedarkwood » Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:52 pm

Fingers crossed at the moment the borders are easy. They are just raising the money for veternary control posts, and these will be built later this year if it goes to plan....

We are hoping to drive over soon with 3 dogs and 2 cats

Lee

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
millomgirl
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby millomgirl » Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:55 pm

Let me know on the forum how it goes? I don't really want to send my dogs over on the plane, and would much rather have them with me, even though the journey will take a lot longer. Best of luck, anyway

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
millomgirl
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby millomgirl » Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:56 pm

Let me know on the forum how it goes? I don't really want to send my dogs over on the plane, and would much rather have them with me, even though the journey will take a lot longer. Best of luck, anyway

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
rgawith
Super User!
Super User!

flying over...

Postby rgawith » Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:58 pm

Think we have decided to fly over and hope to fly on same plane. Fugired this will probably be less stressful than 3 day drive. Plus cats and dog in same space = world war three!

How do you do it on your own - contact BA or what?

Rachel

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
leedarkwood
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby leedarkwood » Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:10 pm

Yes, contact (or look on website) for all airlines flying non charter flights to bg. Then do some sums comparing total costs of tickets and pet deal. It'sbill did this last year and we went to the airport to give him a hand, it was a doodle. The airport staff couldn't be more helpful. He went Bulgaria Air from manchester. You need to get forms from defra, and make sure your vet is an approved export vet, if not your vet will be able to tell you who in your area is. You need tests for brucellosis which may take some time and your general vaccinations need to be up to date. Pets have to be microchipped as well. All in all, nothing too hard to do.

Let me know if you need any more info

Lee

Return to “Getting to & travelling in Bulgaria”