What's cooking?

Moderator: Moderator

leedarkwood
Mega User!
Mega User!

What's cooking?

Postby leedarkwood » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:32 pm

If you are living in Bulgaria on a low income, or indeed in the UK on a low income(!), one way to save a load is to cook more from basic ingredients. I thought I would start a 'what are you cooking today thread' for people to exchange ideas etc.

What I am cooking today? Today was damp and misty and I didn't want to do any work outside so I have been cooking. I had a container of 'clabbled' milk, milk that had gone sour but not bad, it had seperated but didn't smell bad. This is just perfect for baking with. I made up bread dough, and added raisins, spice and butter to make fruit loaves, I have three raising now by the oven. Then I made up more plain dough for a pizza, with a cheese, tomato and salami topping, that is in the oven right now. I also made a batch of cheese scones earlier. There is big stewpot of salted mutton in a veg broth on the top of the stove, it is a lot more salt than I bargained for, even though I soaked it first, so I am taking the broth off it and adding more water, until the meat gets desalted. It is tasty just too salt, but I will keep adding potatoes to it, as they are good at absorbing the salt. I also have my new dehydrator going, with fruit leathers, and fruit slices in it.
So what is on or in your stoves?

Lee

Seedy
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Seedy » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:58 pm

Here in deepest Lincs, my small oven is going with a banitsa baking slowly and my version of "Russian" bread risen and waiting its turn in there.

Tonight's dinner is Kashkaval Pané, Shopska and a glass (or 2 :wink: ) of the last bottle ( :cry: ) of Mavrud left after Xmas.

Incidentally, in case anyone in the UK doesn't know, Morrisons sell Zagorka these days....

Dusty
Super User!
Super User!

Whats cooking?

Postby Dusty » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:05 pm

Good thread Lee. Our local shop has now got many more products for sale including frozen fish, chicken and mince. Good old mince. Out of a 500grm packet I can get 3 meals for two. Yesterday I made a tasty mince using some of my bottled tomatoes and a few carrots and pumpkin plus herbs and seasonings. I made some dumplings to go in it last night and served it with boiled potatoes. Tonight it will be the mince with baked jacket potatoes and cyrene cheese and yoghurt. I will then let it down a bit with more tomato sauce and serve with spaghetti and garlic bread. Most of my cooking is done on my woodburning stove so I cook lots of stews which can cook away for a long time without costing a penny in electric or gas. I also make my own burgers or meatballs mixed up with breadcrumbs which make the meat go further and lighten them too. I love cooking and experimenting and adapting recipes from books and TV programmes. I find some of my most creative cooking happens when I have exhausted most of my ingredients and don't want to shop and blow the budget. I find this fun and fills in many hours in the winter. Summer is a different matter with lots of salads and sandwhiches. Need I mention that I nearly always have a soup on the go for quick lunches in winter! I waste nothing and should there be any leftovers my animals are greedy takers. :D
Just remembered another cheapie tip: Should there be a little mince left but not enough for a full meal, make a yorkshire pudding batter and instead of putting in sausages for toad in the hole, put in small spoonfuls of mince providing its not too runny. Makes a little go a long way.

trailertrash

Postby trailertrash » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:15 pm

hi seedy.
my you do live well in the deepest south.here in the north of lincs it is baked beans with fried eggs [done as a decker] this is a slice of bread or toast wih egg on top then another slice on top then another egg .then you top it all with the beans,oh did i forget to say i am a yorkie in exile so that may explain it.my favourite tipple is kamanitza ,tesco used to have it but not anymore
steve[trailertrash]

leedarkwood
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby leedarkwood » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:36 pm

how do you cook your kaskaval pane, Seedy?

ardleystar
Super User!
Super User!

Postby ardleystar » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:42 pm

For winter I like to make a large batch of Chilli Con Carne and freeze individual portions in oven roasting bags which I can microwave later.

CHILLI CON CARNE

Brown 500 gms of minceneat in large saucepan with olive oil and butter.
Add 830 gms Ratatouille (Storko Gjuvech Extra - Metro - near the tinned tomatoes)
Add two heaped tablespoons of Cumin plus two heaped tablespoons of Paprika and one tablespoon Chilli Flakes plus 3 chopped cloves of Garlic.
Add two tablespoons of Tomato Paste and a little Cinnamon.
Allow to simmer for about three quarters of an hour.
In the meanwhile prepare 250 gms of rice (Boil in the Bag - Metro) or any Basmati variety.
Rinse two 400 gms tins of Red Kidney Beans to remove any sediment and add to simmering ingredients and continue to simmer for a further 15 minutes.
Drain cooked Rice and add to contents.

You're done.

Good on it's own or especially as a topping with baked potato.

Bon appetite!

grunty
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Postby grunty » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:05 pm

Good thread

Down in sleepy Devon I have just put some spuds on so I can have veggie bangers and smash with smelly ( next day He He!!) sprouts and gravy.

There will be enough left over to have squeaky with eggs and beans for breakfast.

A good bottle of red wine will I am sure wash it down

Grunty

Seedy
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Seedy » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:10 pm

Easy-peasy, Lee!

Slice it about 1cm thick, coat it with flour (with some salt & pepper mixed in), then dip in beaten egg and then in matzoh meal. I get my matzoh from Tesco's kosher section - I prefer the fine one as I find the "medium" is a bit too coarse and absorbs too much oil. I know that some people like to do the "egg/matzoh dipping" twice...

Then I fry it in olive oil in a small, seasoned, cast-iron skillet - small is best as it uses too much oil otherwise :wink: You can use corn oil etc but I prefer the taste of olive oil and it's pretty cheap at Lidl (a LOT cheaper than in BG!!)

fredatinsch
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby fredatinsch » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:11 pm

today I made sausage rolls, some I baked the rest I have frozen, I made extra pastry to cook on its own, then freeze so I have pastry squares to go with a beef casserole. I made a lamb hotpot, with lots of sliced carrots and onions and potatoes in layers, seasoned well with pepper and what herbs came to hand. I baked a loaf to eat and some rolls to freeze.

I have started my Orange Marmalade, with very large ugly looking oranges I bought at the market in VT. I always have a Jam sponge or fruit cake on the go.
Yesterday I froze eight portions of chicken soup made from a carcase, all but picked bare. From the Chicken meat, we had sweet and sour chicken with rice, and curried chicken which once again I have frozen.

Seedy
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Seedy » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:12 pm

Sorry - forgot to say "Cheers!" as I'm eating it right now! :lol:

Return to “Whats Cooking”