What's cooking?

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
peterpiper
Super User!
Super User!

Postby peterpiper » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:55 pm

I hope not 8O you don't want to be at the table if I've cooked. :lol: Best of luck with yours, Mrs Beaton would have been proud of us trotting out the old staples.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Liliana

Postby Liliana » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:57 pm

:o :lol: :lol:

One thing I have learnt in Bulgaria is 'throw nothing away'. After leaving the great throw away sociey in the UK, which I'd become accustomed to, I now have ways to really economise with food.

Had a 'food parcel' from England just before Xmas including 4 tins of Fray Bentos corned beef which I used to take so much for granted.

First I made a good old northern 'hash' with the dumplings but used a whole tin just for one meal for 2.

Second tin I decided to make pasties and only used half and the other is in the freezer waiting for next month.

It really is a challenge to make food go further and I am so glad that I have learnt from this culture that you do NOT throw anything away... :)

Any other tips?

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
pollypepper

whats cooking

Postby pollypepper » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:29 pm

I add a few brown lentils to mince meat dishes,cook the lentils in a small pan add to meat when cooked, no one has noticed as yet. Great if you do not have much meat and people turn up.
Also make vegi shephard pie with them for me

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
fredatinsch
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby fredatinsch » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:50 pm

The temptation of using all the tin is too muckle for us. Greedy little piggies. Yes Corned Beef Hash, Mmmmm, sliced thinly with chips and pickles, Corned Beef stuffed Potatoes or heated with onion and put into a croissants.....

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
scotcouple
<b>Property Management/Sales</b>

Postby scotcouple » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:43 pm

I make my doughballs without Suet as i tend find using it makes the dough balls too greasy.
You need self raising flour, pinch salt and pepper. and cold water mix all three until firm but slightly sticky dough forms, than shape into balls and bake in pan with mince for about 20 mins. Then serve with new potatoes and plenty of veg and enjoy mmmmmm

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
fredatinsch
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby fredatinsch » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:15 am

I bet this starts a debate about SR Flour, I am out of here for the time being. Time for another cuppa, I am thinking, with toast spread with Sundried tomato pesto and shavings of Parmesan Cheese.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
VickyC
Super User!
Super User!

Postby VickyC » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:03 am

I love making loads of different Indian dishes; rogan josh, madras, korma and tikka masala. In fact I just love cooking and one thing about Bulgaria is we can't get ready made food, but its a blessing as everything is home made and tasty.

We missed our favorite chinese curry sauce to go with chicken fried rice and my husband found this recipe and it is so like the takeaway version I thought I'd share it with you:

I use the new updated version with garlic and ginger powder as you get a smooth sauce.

http://debskitchencreations.blogspot.co ... sauce.html

if you search you can also find a chicken/beef fried rice or chinese chicken curry recipe to go with it.

I just strip chicken leftover from a roast (or you can boil chicken breasts and chop up) and stir fry with soy sauce and put to the side. Then in a very hot wok with oil do the onion in big chunks chinese style and add a half cup frozen peas, remove from pan and stir fry a whisked egg or 2 for a few seconds and remove, you can also stir fry mushrooms to add. Clean the pan and heat till smoking hot with a little oil and stir fry the pre- boiled rice (better if boiled and let go cold) I add some soy sauce and it goes nice and brown.

Then add all the other ingredients, stir together and serve with chips and curry sauce.

We had chicken fried rice and curry sauce last night and is in the fridge maturing for tonight.

P.S. Gus, going to try making my own nan and onion bhajis, samosas and pakora now to go with my curries.

Vicky

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Memsahib
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Postby Memsahib » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:17 am

fredatinsch wrote:Would like your chicken curry recipe please. There seem to be so many variations its good to try another. Nothing much happening here, got some broth on the go, but forgot to soak the broth mix over night!!!So going to give it a boil for a while, then when soft add to the chix and veg.

Stovies tonight, made with beef and beef dripping. For those of you that have the luxury of a HAGGIS, enjoy and after the Bard, toast us.

Well here it is:
Chicken Curry for 2/3

3 large onions chopped fine
4 large tomatoes chopped
2 chicken breasts diced
½ tsp Turmeric
1 tsp Coriander powder
1 tsp Chilli powder
1 tsp Garam massala
1 tsp Cumin
4 green Chilli peppers
Tsp sugar
4 tbls Oil

Heat the oil then fry the onions until golden brown, add the tomatoes and gently cook until soft. Meanwhile chop the Chilli peppers and put into a dish with the turmeric, chilli powder, coriander and mix well. When the tomato and onion gravy had softened add the mixture and stir well for 2 minutes then add the chopped chicken. Stir in the sugar and if the mix is a little dry add water until the chicken is covered, lower the heat and let it simmer until the oil rises to the top. I usually let it simmer for a two hours on a very low heat but if you are doubling the quantity it should cook for quite a while longer. Add the cumin and the garam massala and stir. Serve with rice and Gus’s Naan!
You can add a little yoghurt to the curry before serving but I put some in a small dish so people can add it themselves. It cools the heat of the chilli peppers. If you like curry a little hotter than up the quantity of the chilli powder or add another couple of chilli peppers.

Hope you enjoy it. There are so many different curry recipes but this is our usual Saturday night "takeaway" :lol:

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
pollypepper

Whats cooking

Postby pollypepper » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:19 am

Anyone know the bulgarian name for Turmeric as I cannot find it. When in Turkey last autumn I brought some Turkish curry mix its great very spicy but not to hot

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
fredatinsch
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby fredatinsch » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:40 am

Hi Pollypepper I think Turmeric is Kypkyma, wait a mo and see what the others think!

Return to “Whats Cooking”