What's cooking?

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
fredatinsch
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby fredatinsch » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:26 am

Thanks for that Leedarkwood, took the spelling to Shops but sorry Crossey still couldn't find the Pearl Barley. You may have to try one of the people selling UK foods.
Does anyone, that cant read Bulgarian use a Cyrillic keyboard to translate recipes from Bulgarian Foodie Magazines! If the answer is yes did the recipe turn out OK with the translation.

I have found what looks to be good recipes in a Bulgarian Magazine and would like to have a go.

Thanks

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
VickyC
Super User!
Super User!

Postby VickyC » Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:05 pm

Its been snowing all day and freezing and now windy. Made a huge pot of leek and potato soup this morning and have a large pan of chicken rogan josh simmering away with fresh chillies, ginger, garlic mmmmmm smells great!

So tonight a lovely spicy curry with fluffy basmati rice, nan and poppadums and watch a new dvd.

Oh and a cold kaminitsa to wash it down.

Vicky

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
gillette

Nutty as a Fruitcake!

Postby gillette » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:41 pm

How to make a fruitcake!:
———————————
1 C water
1 C sugar
4 large eggs
2 C dried fruit
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 C brown sugar
Lemon juice
Nuts
1 FULL bottle of your favorite whisky

Directions:
——————–
1. Sample the whisky to check for quality.
2. Take a large bowl. Check the whisky again to be sure that it is of the highest quality.
3. Pour one level cup and drink. Repeat.
4. Turn on the electric mixer; beat one cup of butter in a large fluffy bowl.
5. Add one tsp. sugar and beat again.
6. Be sure the whisky is still okay. Cry another tup.
7. Turn off the mixer.
8. Break two legs and add to the bowl and chuck in the cup of dried fruit.
9. Mix on the turner.
10. If the fried druit gets stuck in the beaterers, pry it loose with a drewscriver.
11. Sample the whisky to check for tonsisticity.
12. Next, sift two cups of salt. Or something. Who cares.
13. Check the whisky.
14. Now sift the lemon juice and strain your nuts.
15. Add one table. Spoon. Of sugar or something. Whatever you can find.
16. Grease the oven.
17. Turn the cake tin to 350 degrees.
18. Don’t forget to beat off the turner.
19. Throw the bowl out the window.
20. Check the whisky again. Go to bed.

Who the hell likes fruitcake anyway?

:lol:

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
gillette

Dundee Fruit Cake Recipe

Postby gillette » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:17 pm

I actually love fruit cake, so here is the proper recipe. This is a lighter version of fruit cake as compared to the type served as Christmas cake. I don't particularly like mixed peel and usually add more cherries, you can replace any of the fruit you don't like providing you keep to the same quantities. I hope you enjoy it.

Traditional Dundee Fruit Cake

Ingredients:

5 oz Butter
5 oz Caster Sugar
3 Eggs
8 oz Plain Flour
1 tsp. Baking Powder
6 oz. Currants
6 oz. Sultanas
2 oz Glace Cherries (Roughly chopped)
2 oz Mixed Peel
3 oz Ground Almonds
2 oz Whole Blanched Almonds (For decoration)

Pre-heat oven to Gas Mark 3, 170 C , 325 F

Method:

Beat butter & sugar until light and fluffy.

Whisk eggs and beat into the creamed sugar & butter. (A little at a time to prevent mixture curdling.)

Fold in flour & baking powder to keep air in the mixture.

Fold in all the fruit & ground almonds.

Put the mixture into a greased 7”-8” cake tin, lined with greaseproof paper.

Decorate top with the whole almonds. Don’t press them in or they will sink, just place them gently on top of the mixture.

Bake for 2 – 21/2 hours or until the centre is firm and springs back when touched.

Leave to cool in tin. This cake keeps well and will mature in flavour if you leave it a day or two before cutting.

Enjoy!

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
fredatinsch
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby fredatinsch » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:24 am

Made Pork Coffyns yesterday, old fashioned pork pie's, will put in the gelatine today now they are cold.

Today I am going to do a Boston Baked Beans.
Dried Haricot beans, soaked over night. onions, celery, carrots, Dijon mustard, muscovado sugar, black treacle, tomato puree and Belly of pork. Not cooked this before, so see how we go.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
fredatinsch
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby fredatinsch » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:32 am

Did not like the Boston Baked Beans, It was nicely cooked and the beans were soft. but the texture of mouth full after mouth full of the beans. No couldnt eat it. Leonard ate all of his and the dogs loved it.

Corned Beef hash last evening. Spag Boll to night. Took the Pork Coffyns up the bar they dissapeared very quickly. Still practising with the Hot Pastry, think the art in success may lie in the gentle kneeding and the 20 min rest in a warm place.

Will have to make something to go with Salad, have twenty odd Lettuce waiting to be used, and a few spring onions.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
eyebright
Super User!
Super User!

Postby eyebright » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:50 am

Im still in Spain at the mo with my sis and she is doing most of the cooking yiipppee, however last night we had pigs trotters and tonight its boar roast. Maybe I should see if I can find a tin of soup in the cupboard just to restore a bit of normality back into my diet.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
jinx57
<b>Property Finder</b>

Postby jinx57 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:32 pm

lovely cake recipe gillette - nice touch to substitute extra cherries for mixed peel.
To stop them going to the bottom leave them on a cloth to dry up a bit then roll in flour before adding them to mix - the syrup weighs heavy so the dryer they are the less likely to sink. Any collected syrup can be added to the mix anyway so nothing is wasted.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
weefrankie
Super User!
Super User!

whats cooking

Postby weefrankie » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:11 pm

Just had one of the most unhealthy meals we have had in ages. A fry up, slice of steak, bacon, square sausages & potato scones. On the healthy side the sausages were grilled!! Absolutely delicious, although not to be made too often.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
fredatinsch
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby fredatinsch » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:04 am

Cottage Pie for me last night, the top nice and crispy by the time we had finished rotovating the veg plot. Got Pork Chops tonight, so if its another day in the garden will do them in a casserole with a tangy sauce and do some Baked Potatoes to go with them.

I love a fried breakfast, Weefrankie.
But Bacon we have been getting from Kaufland has turned especially salty, so we no longer buy it. I have been buying what looks like a slab of streaky bacon and slicing it , a wee bit more expensive, but not as expensive as having to throw salty bacon awa. Himself likes square sausage between two slices of toast with Dijon mustard and a mug of tea. We ring the changes, with this important meal of the day.

Scrambled egg, with a chopped tomato and grating of cheese.

Boiled Eggs and soldiers.

Oatmeal or Porridge with Honey, another favorite. This morning I will be having a lovely large pink grapefruit.
Eyebright - sounds like you are trying lots of new things. How were the pigs trotters cooked, roasted! boiled! Have fun with your sister.

Return to “Whats Cooking”