What's cooking?

Moderator: Moderator

troyan
Super User!
Super User!

Postby troyan » Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:37 pm

Mat wrote:Aren't the leaves getting too tough by now? Once the leaves are cooked you can also slide a sharp knife over the to cut off the veins

we are at altitude here Mat so tend to be up to a month behind......... there are actually fresh leaves still growing although the grapes are all formed

MIK_bg
Super User!
Super User!

Postby MIK_bg » Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:56 am

As fresh cauliflowers are available I suggest to chose a small/medium one, perfect without signs of spoil, wash it carefully in a bol with becarbonate. Then cut a cross in the stem and steam it for 2 minutes from the point the pressure cooker reaches the pressure mark and then swich off the stove.

Let cool down and chop it roughly and dress it with extra virgin oil, aneth, basil,kalamata olives, a fresh red paprika pepper, mild chili pepper, white onion, garlic, a tomato.....just ate one and if it wasn't that I have to eat first broccoli I would be out to buy another one. :roll:

Dell

Postby Dell » Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:12 pm

Instead of vine leaves try using spinach or chard with pork mince/rice stuffing, very tasty. Also cabbage leaves work. This is what the Greek Cypriots use sometimes as an alternative to vine leaves. Delicious.

troyan
Super User!
Super User!

Postby troyan » Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:26 pm

Todays dinner

Chicken thighs in beer with pulses

6-10 chicken thighs cook fairly quick in Extra V olive oil, just for a few minutes each side adding onions as you go, probably one very large one,with a teaspoon of turmeric ( куркума) which gives a lovely colour to the dish

I like to course chop one onion,and a leek and parsley

after about 6 mins add beer, I used shumensko today about just over half liter

then add any type of beans, tinned or fresh, I am using the yellow runner beans that are around but butterbeans or cannellini work well

Also depending on taste I add the very small stubby chuski, quite hot and spicy

half a maggi chicken stock, but add no salt as the beer and stock cube have more than enough

couple of bay leaves and simmer for 45 mins very low.......

add lemon juice to preference optional.

Serve with whatever you fancy,on its own,goes well with crusty bread, rice or potatoes your choice

MIK_bg
Super User!
Super User!

Postby MIK_bg » Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:16 pm

Dell wrote:Instead of vine leaves try using spinach or chard with pork mince/rice stuffing, very tasty. Also cabbage leaves work. This is what the Greek Cypriots use sometimes as an alternative to vine leaves. Delicious.

In this case you put the biggest leaves in the bottom and sides of the pot to protect your stuffed cabbage leaves, pack them very closely and cook at medium low temperarure adding water to avoid the bottom to burn. At the end when water is consumed you can finish your masterpiece with avgolemono...a mix of egg lemon and broth...
You shake very well and pour it over your stuffed leaves letting cook for just few minutes and then swich off the stove and let it covered for a while...delicious.

Dell

Postby Dell » Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:10 am

Agree MIK_bg, delicious. Also plain yogurt is served with gobebia (dolmades) in Cyprus. When in Plovdiv last year I ordered dolmades and surprised when yogurt was served automatically.

All this talk about lovely food is making me hungry....better get cooking :lol

troyan
Super User!
Super User!

Postby troyan » Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:28 pm

Eggs

ive noticed that eggs from supermarkets vary in quality and some are very watery and always break up when cracked

I am now buying eggs from the market from individuals who obviously are selling eggs from their smallholding, i bought some last week from a Roma woman and they were fantastic.

MIK_bg
Super User!
Super User!

Postby MIK_bg » Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:58 pm

All brands of eggs in.supermarket I tested were of very low quality and mostly old (yolk breaking, watery white).

Harmonica organic eggs are okay...while quite expensive and always check they are not sitting there for long time because of their price. I get 6 organic eggs for 3.60 levs in italy...here they are 5.50 levs.

I was used to buy almost everything organic and here in bg I had to adapt as food quality can vary of great degrees. I concur you can find good products but you have to check them yourself and also make an act of faith.

Same with product at the market. But you could buy beautiful color butter correctly made and stored, from the milk of free cows grazing spring herbs... plated with heavy metals on the side of the roads.

There is not coscience about environmental problems and hazards nor about food security or any.

Who is fortunate to have garden and yard should invest some time on gardening and rising hens. My balconies seem a tropical jungle...sure my neighbors laugh at me.

Need to find/build an heated greenhouse asap.

Keegan
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Keegan » Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:56 pm

Does anyone know if theres a market in Bourgas selling veg?

troyan
Super User!
Super User!

Postby troyan » Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:10 pm

Chicken fried rice

Bowl of precooked an refrigerated rice long grain or basmati

cooked chicken breast, 4 spring onions, egg turmeric, chillis. flakes soy sauce

First the egg strips, beat an egg or two and fry in a large frying pan to make a very thin omelette or make two in a samaller pan......cut into strips.set aside

Heat a frying pan add oil and rice sprinkle with turmeric, gives a nice colour, add spring onions finely sliced and cook on fairly hot heat, add a very small amount of soy sauce at this stage and chilli flakes.do not add salt at any stage.

When the rice is heated through add the chicken breast cold and the egg strips and just fold in,no need for any more cooking

Add more soy sauce to your taste, I prefer Kikonaman soy but any soy sauce will do.

Return to “Whats Cooking”