UK out of the EU..still allowed to live in Bulgaria?

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
reiver

UK out of the EU..still allowed to live in Bulgaria?

Postby reiver » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:41 pm

It's early days of course........ but quite possible that the UK could leave the EU in the near future. a Euro sceptic government in power in England, much apathy amongst the population, allied with a generally europhobic media - the main ingredients are there.

If outside of the EU, would UK passport holders still have the right to live, work and own property in other EU countries, including Bulgaria?

Strange and unpredictable times we are in. Maybe there would be a rush for Bulgarian passports for those UK citizens already living there :)

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
devondumpling

Postby devondumpling » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:45 pm

Well, we bought here before Bulgaria wasin EU, so that shouldn't be a problem. However, health costs could be seriously difficult unless covered in other ways.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
qwerty
Super User!
Super User!

Postby qwerty » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:52 pm

One would hope that calmer heads would prevail and this current spat with the EU will pass as other spats have done so over the years. As a precautionary measure I think I will keep my company going forward and not dissolve it on the 1st January.

Might just wait and see how this pans out over the next few months, we are living in very strange times at the moment.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
seathrift
Super User!
Super User!

Postby seathrift » Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:03 pm

With the EU in place or not trade will still need to go on. Most likely the current spat is purely to have in place someone to blame when things go wrong with the Euro. I think it unlikely that the eurozone will succeed, but I doubt life will change that much with regard to living in a foreign country. Agreements will be set up for Health Cover and the like, because there are just too many British expats in Europe and vice versa to consider abandoning them.
I would expect to see a European Union as now but with each operating it's own currency in a few years time. Quite how that will be managed is another matter and one hopes that there will not be too many Banks and Countries going bankrupt in the process. If this last happens on a large scale it will not matter where you live with regard to having any money to spend. There just will not be any.
Strange times indeed, but I do believe that most of the current pronouncements are just hot air and are being wound up by the media. Very few of them have anything to do with actually keeping the Euro stable. So I am going to sit back and watch the fireworks till somebody actually does something positive.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Pascalcho

Postby Pascalcho » Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:29 pm

qwerty wrote:One would hope that calmer heads would prevail and this current spat with the EU will pass as other spats have done so over the years. As a precautionary measure I think I will keep my company going forward and not dissolve it on the 1st January.

Might just wait and see how this pans out over the next few months, we are living in very strange times at the moment.

Did I miss something? Is it already final you don't need a company for land?

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
ABCPropertySurveyors
<b>Transport Services</b>

Collapse

Postby ABCPropertySurveyors » Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:36 am

Couldn't really think of a better place to be than BG when it all goes wrong.Remember,They have been through it once.Nothing really happened here for 10 years after the fall of communism.It may be an idea to stock up on jars for preserving and start stocking up on rice,beans and tinned goods.12 months supply is ideal so that we have enough time to grow food in the garden.It won't go to waste as you just replace as it's used.Water can be obtained from springs and we have wood from the forest.Might have to start nicking it like the villagers if there is no money about! There will be panic when it all goes wrong.There will be a run on the supermarkets and petrol stations closely followed by looting and anarchy.The governments will already have plans in place to deal with different scenario's.This is when the Police and Army will get the big boy's toy's out.The US police already have military hardware at their disposal. Wouldn't want to be in the UK or the US when it happens.......... :( Don't start me off about what'll happen when it kicks off in Syria and Iran!

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Moscow_Wolf
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Moscow_Wolf » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:05 am

seathrift wrote:With the EU in place or not trade will still need to go on. Most likely the current spat is purely to have in place someone to blame when things go wrong with the Euro. I think it unlikely that the eurozone will succeed, but I doubt life will change that much with regard to living in a foreign country. Agreements will be set up for Health Cover and the like, because there are just too many British expats in Europe and vice versa to consider abandoning them.
I would expect to see a European Union as now but with each operating it's own currency in a few years time. Quite how that will be managed is another matter and one hopes that there will not be too many Banks and Countries going bankrupt in the process. If this last happens on a large scale it will not matter where you live with regard to having any money to spend. There just will not be any.
Strange times indeed, but I do believe that most of the current pronouncements are just hot air and are being wound up by the media. Very few of them have anything to do with actually keeping the Euro stable. So I am going to sit back and watch the fireworks till somebody actually does something positive.

Whilst I do not disagree with what you have written, history has away of repeating itself. We 'Jonny foreigners' would lose all protection that the EU affords us, we would be at the mercy of our Country hosts as to whether we are allowed to stay and under what conditions. However, without intentionally trying to scaremonger, there might be some with their greedy eyes fixed upon some of those lovely renovated properties that they could get their hands on, if they could only force us out. :roll:

I've only ever once been refused Permanent Living status in a foreign country before and it is NO fun. You have days to leave and sort out your personal affairs leaving property behind and so-forth to try and deal with it from beyond the country's borders.

Worst case scenario (that I don't personally foresee), but imagine an Idi Amin type figure that decides we 'foreigners' are bleeding the country dry and kicks us out Ugandan Asian style. You wouldn't have much rights as a non-EU citizen and I cannot see Her Majesty's Foreign Office doing much more than spouting rhetoric. If you have a Bulgarian spouse or child then, your chances would be much better.

Every leader during times of trouble needs to find a scapegoat to direct the citizen's anger and frustration. Not much fun being an ethnic minority. :wink:

Moscow 'Tongue in Cheek' Wolf. :wink:

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Painter
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Painter » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:13 am

There is no talk of Britain leaving the EU, even hard line little Englanders in the Tory Party will be informed that the UK has too much trade with the other nations to be outside it (mind you whether they can actually grasp it is entirely a different matter).

David Cameron had a tough nut to crack, what with all the pressure exerted by the City of London, not wanting to their laissez-faire little club broken up whilst at the same time realising that most of the UK revenue actually comes from different industries from all over the UK.

As other posters have pointed out best to wait for it to all calm down and try to avoid the media hype. Even with the worst scenario the Euro will not simply vanish as Euro zone countries realise that individually they are not large enough to cut it on the world stage.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
brianj42
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby brianj42 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:31 am

OMG.... trips to Romania and Greece for the C & D visa's again. Those were the days :lol:

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
carriemc
<b>Rental Agent</b>

Postby carriemc » Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:12 am

Qwerty - 'As a precautionary measure I think I will keep my company going forward and not dissolve it on the 1st January'

Can you expand on this?

Return to “Politics non Bulgarian”