UK out of the EU..still allowed to live in Bulgaria?

Moderator: Moderator

hopkin
Super User!
Super User!

Postby hopkin » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:34 am

Moscow_Wolf wrote:
lyn wrote:Anni, I can sort of understand a Caribbean Island receiving EU funding if they are a protectorate of a member state, but several years ago we were in Fiji and the new Sigatoka bridge was being funded by the EU. I can see no logical connection at all to Fiji's right to funding. :smt102 Do the EU dish out funds to any country who asks for them???

:lol: I am in the process of declaring the village of San Stefano as UDI (Ian Smith style) not only leaving Bulgaria, but the EU as well. We envisage a blockade, but after the storm has subsided I SHALL be asking the EU for suitcase loads of cash and other subsidies. What's my chances. :roll:

In a word? . . . . . . SLIM[/b]

gimlet
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby gimlet » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:54 am

lyn wrote:Anni, I can sort of understand a Caribbean Island receiving EU funding if they are a protectorate of a member state, but several years ago we were in Fiji and the new Sigatoka bridge was being funded by the EU. I can see no logical connection at all to Fiji's right to funding. :smt102 Do the EU dish out funds to any country who asks for them???

You'll probably find that these places are parts of Metropolitan France or self governing overseas territories included in the EU.

The only place a British person can live as of right in North America is the French Islands of St . Pierre & Miquelon, off the coast of Newfoundland. By way of contrast Canadians can only stay for 3 months.

British people might adapt quite well to these wet, foggy and small islands! But there are French and Dutch possessions in the Caribbean which are warmer though possibly with unpleasant insects.

Britain took Gibraltar into the EU in the same way. It might have been smart to add the Falkland Islands as well.

hopkin
Super User!
Super User!

Postby hopkin » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:01 am

Shame the Channel Islands didn't make it, have you phoned home on a mobile from there? it's about a pound a minute!

Anni
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Anni » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:04 am

Seems Fiji was granted independence from Britain in 1970 so I'm guessing that like the Caribbean it has something to do with the terms of the independence.

OK MW - what sort of immigration laws will you impose? I might apply :lol:

gimlet
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby gimlet » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:22 am

No, it's to do with the EU's development strategy, which started off with the Lome Convention back in 1975.

Unfortunately EU rights of residence do not apply in French Polynesia so Tahiti, New Caledonia, etc are off the menu.

lyn
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby lyn » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:27 am

We are getting well off topic here but if you get residency for France you can live in New Caledonia. I don't know about Tahiti as we couldn't afford to live there anyway - but New Caledonia - I'd love to!

Simonita
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Simonita » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:47 am

Definitely Martinique. 8) More generally, one of the things that Mr Murdoch doesn't tell you about the EU is that it will spend about EUR 56 billion on development and other global projects in the period 2007-2013. This figure doesn't include the European Development Fund. Does make you wonder why Cameron wants to spend so much on overseas development in addition to our contribution to this 56bn.

leedarkwood
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby leedarkwood » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:19 pm

The thought occurs to me, that if the UK leaves the EU, then maybe our pensions would be like British pensions in Canada, and not index linked?

seathrift
Super User!
Super User!

Postby seathrift » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:46 pm

Lee,
Britain has not left the EU and is not likely to do so. Too much depends on UK ability to trade with Europe and vice versa. So pension changes not really something to worry about. What to me is much more of concern is whether any or which of the Banks/Countries go bust. If that should happen big time, then you won't have a pension of any kind to worry about. At least here, one can be relatively self sufficient if the need should arise.
If the UK did leave the EU then I think the Government would find it very difficult to change the status quo retrospectively, especially given the vast number of pensioners living abroad in countries like France, Spain and Greece. Hoards of financial refugees returning to the UK dependant on Social Security is not a prospect any Minister would want to contemplate.
When all is said and done the Erozone is going nowhere at the moment and the current discussions are very far from having any positive direction.
So the strict answer to your question is that, no one has any idea about the future of pensions or anything else with regard to finance.

gimlet
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby gimlet » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:01 pm

Possibly, it depends whether there are any other conventions that guarantee equal treatment. Council of Europe, International Labour Organisation for example.

A lot also depends on the attitude of the other state involved. UK pensioners in the US get indexed pensions presumably on the basis of a bilateral agreement.

Hyperinflation, exchange rate risk - could make staying at home look more attractive.

Return to “Politics non Bulgarian”