Did only THICK people vote LEAVE

Moderator: Moderator

Mat
Mega User!
Mega User!

Re: Did only THICK people vote LEAVE

Postby Mat » Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:51 am

johndoe3 wrote: On the other hand to escape from the clutches of the European Union is priceless.

This was the whole point - the political elite (and me too frankly) didn't think the population would accept a permanent reduction in living standards in exchange of being free of the EU. They were wrong. Just look at the glee of the people that all the banking jobs are leaving. Now the EU are going to make us pay 80 billion just for the right to leave. I imagine negotiating that one is going to be a successful as Cameron's Chamberlain moment...

MarkieB
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Postby MarkieB » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:22 pm

banjo wrote:The Value of the pound has nothing to do with brexit

The plummeting value of the pound has everything to do with Brexit, and even if it makes a minor stuttering recovery from time to time its long term downward trajectory will continue. Not to mention creeping inflation and wage stagnation eroding living standards - but hey, this is a small price to pay for taking back control and getting our country back from those evil faceless Brussels eurocrats. :lol:

alfandalma

Postby alfandalma » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:35 pm

As the value of the pound against many other currencies is stronger than before June 2016 it has to be the EU interfering and devaluing the pound. I also have a house in Uganda. In October 2011 the rate was 4000 UGS to the pound. It fell to 3200 during 2013-15 and is now at 4487. Hence the pound is very strong.

MarkieB
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Postby MarkieB » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:28 am

alfandalma wrote:As the value of the pound against many other currencies is stronger than before June 2016 it has to be the EU interfering and devaluing the pound. I also have a house in Uganda. In October 2011 the rate was 4000 UGS to the pound. It fell to 3200 during 2013-15 and is now at 4487. Hence the pound is very strong.

Great news if you're spending your £'s in Uganda - not so good if you're thinking of visiting a Eurozone country, the US, Canada, Switzerland, Australia, Japan, any country whose currency is pegged to the $ or €, or pretty much any major currency where the £ has taken a significant hit since Brexit.

Mat
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Mat » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:19 am

alfandalma wrote: has to be the EU interfering and devaluing the pound.

Wot? I'm in Uganda at this very minute as it happens. And all currencies are stronger against the shilling because its the shilling going down the toilet. Nothing about the pound being strong or the EU somehow intervening. That's not even technically possible, the ECB has no mandate to buy or sell sterling.

Villages with more churches also have more pubs therefore all Christians are alcoholics. Its this kind of post truth logic mangling that got us into the whole Brexit crapper in the first place.

johndoe3

Postby johndoe3 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:12 am

Well , I guarantee that tomorrow the sun will rise and in the evening the sun will go down and re-appear the next day.
I'm just musing on some of the financial crises which have brought so much doom.
Why are the financial pages in most British papers, next to the horse racing pages?
Why do the Chinese Market boards turn green, when they are "losing" money, but turn red on gains?
Does a barrel of oil burn longer than a 20 dollar note?
Can you eat gold, platinum or even silver, or even a barrel of oil and a 20 dollar note.?
My solution would be to hike up interest rates to 5%, then that should cool the British economy down.

Can anybody remember the "Gnomes of Zurich"? Apparently their tooth fairy used to leave a gold tooth under the pillow, courtesy of the neutral Swiss government during more difficult times.
On a more cheerful note,https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xvm2xN0yJFs :roll: 8O

glenda

Postby glenda » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:05 pm

No, it's gathered one or two others did too.

alfandalma

Postby alfandalma » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:52 pm

Wot? I'm in Uganda at this very minute as it happens. And all currencies are stronger against the shilling because its the shilling going down the toilet. Nothing about the pound being strong or the EU somehow intervening. That's not even technically possible, the ECB has no mandate to buy or sell sterling.

I should have given a full and in-depth explanation for someone who thinks I was stupid enough to only compare the Ugandan Shilling with the British pound. As you are there you will know that the US$ is the currency that expats are paid in as the UGS is unstable. My statement was based on looking at the ex rate of the UGS against the £ and then the $. I did this back in July when the £ fell by 25% to the Bulgarian Leva and the BBC was saying how the American tourists were flooding London.

So if the £ gains against the UGS but the US$ doesn't that equates to the fluctuation against the US$ in Europe is false and if it is not the EU doing this with no doubt the Deutch bank. You may be correct about the ECB so how come a few days after a referendum when NOTHING has changed the £ falls dramatically against the Euro. Can you explain these two irregularities without resorting to abuse please.

This has also been the case with other currencies.

Mat
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Mat » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:56 pm

alfandalma wrote:. You may be correct about the ECB so how come a few days after a referendum when NOTHING has changed the £ falls dramatically against the Euro. .

Sure - its was the world collectively crapping itself on the economic cataclysm of Brexit and selling the pound. There's no conspiracy, its merely common sense and the markets reacting. That's what markets do, the individuals involved in them come to a collective understanding of what will probably happen in the future and act on it. Of course, they are only experts and we all know how useless they are so maybe they're all wrong and we're looking forward to a world of sunny uplands, skipping lambs and the greatest economic prosperity of our times.

Or not.

johndoe3

Postby johndoe3 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:33 am

Mat,
I apologise for the use of language, but as most "grown ups know", management is founded on bulls**t and rumours.
That is why there were 20 year old "traders" running around Stock EXchanges", buying and selling things that they did not own.
By the way I worked for a construction company which "made" £55million on construction work, then lost £560 million on
foreign exchange "gambles". :lol:

Return to “Politics non Bulgarian”