BEWARE mosquitoes @ sunny beach etc

Discuss here anything that does not already have its own Forum.

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Nessie
Super User!
Super User!

BEWARE mosquitoes @ sunny beach etc

Postby Nessie » Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:34 am

More discussion re mosquitoes can be found at:
http://www.mybulgaria.info/modules.php? ... c&start=49
Thanks. Mod 8)

Hi just come back from Sunny beach area. Great weather, nice people but Beware of the mosquitoes at night. take insect repellent and bite spray, Dont know if increase in mosquitoes had anything to do with sunny beach promenade getting flooded last week ending 7/07/06 (people were wading up to there knees in water) all is ok there now, back to normal apart from mosquitoes. Locals said they were more than normal.

Nessie

ps the mossies are very attracted to The Body Shop coconut Body Butter!
Last edited by Nessie on Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Happyeater

Postby Happyeater » Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:22 pm

Just back from Vlas/Sunny Beach this morning and the place is infested with Mozzies. I've been eaten alive by the little beggars.

Anyone going out there, take repellent with you and something in case you get bitten. Some great advice in the 'General' section.

Hell, I'm itchy!

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
drainman

Postby drainman » Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:53 pm

Hi all
The southern end of SB used to marshland which is a breeding ground for mozzies and I assume that during the flood the marsh would have been disturbed and distributed along SBI have also heard that some people who have bought apartments built on the old marshes suffer from the little beasts.
I think that the marsh starts around about where the old Red Lion used to be and along that side towards Nessebur'
Anyone confirm for me ?

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Cookoid_0
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Cookoid_0 » Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:29 pm

Looking at google earth that looks like it could possibly be true the land to the south of the Hadjiyska river is very low lying and looks like it might once have been marsh. But if they are now drained will the mossys still breed there?

If it is true, ohh ****ing joy we are staying at an apartment south SB main road near the stadium in two weeks time for 5 days to see our renovation. The missus suffers terribly from mossy attack. 8O

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
magoo
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Postby magoo » Sat Jul 15, 2006 2:34 pm

Yep I just got back from a week in Sunny Beach and there were loads of the little b**ger. Best way to avoid them is don't wear shorts in the evenings and go inside early evening, cos that's the time they like to feed. Keep windows closed cos once they get inside they're a b**ger to catch, I had one in my room for 2 days biting me every night till I caught him! in the daytime you won't see so many about.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
BREEZE

Postby BREEZE » Sat Jul 15, 2006 2:35 pm

We were in Vlas at the start of the month and to be honest we never had a problem, maybe one or two buzzing around the balcony at night but nothing more.
It sounds to me like there could be a connection between the flooding and the mossies because there has never been a problem in the past.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
feebib

mosquitoes

Postby feebib » Sat Jul 15, 2006 3:37 pm

Invest in a bottle of AVON skin so soft spray. I got very badly bitten in the far east 6 years ago and am paranoid when I'm abroad now. I always take this and touch wood no problems.

Feebib

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Josie

Postby Josie » Sat Jul 15, 2006 3:53 pm

Hi Guys

We too are just back having spend from 1 July for 9 nghts in St Vlas/SB and we watched the storm from our balcony. No mozzies got us.

However, we drove up to Kavarna (North of Varna) and I was bit and bit and bit. Used up one small can the pharmacist recommended on bites and ran out on the last night. Russ and Karen said that they don't like lemon so I bought a lemon and squeezed it all over me. Seemed to work ok.

Last week in the Daily Mail there was an article about the best 5 repellents, Boots coming out on top.

Still scratching like hell though.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
sainty100
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

insect bites

Postby sainty100 » Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:51 pm

do you know those sticky fly papers you can buy ? i take those with me they attract all those little b**ger , i dont get bitten at night while i sleep ?

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
LUCI
Super User!
Super User!

Postby LUCI » Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:56 pm

if the sticky fly papers work they are widely available in Bg cos last year I bought loads and brought them back to the UK where I havent been able to buy them for years

Return to “General Discussion”