Bottled Gas?

Discuss here anything that does not already have its own Forum.

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
DANNIA
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby DANNIA » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:36 am

Thankyou Seathrift for your further information, i didn't know about the static electricity, and this is really worrying me now :?
The bottle is outside in an open barn right now is it going to be safe to DRIVE it away from the village to the fields as MW suggests.
Maybe the washing up liquid is the best way to go first, but I am scared stiff of this potential bomb waiting to happen right now!

Our BG friend was at a pig killing yesterday and was using one of the smallest gas cannisters like a blow torch to burn the pigs skin, and it exploded backwards up his arm and into his face burning his arm, face/lips area. He is very lucky as it sounds like it could have been much worse, but very scary stuff indeed.

Nikki

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
VickyC
Super User!
Super User!

Postby VickyC » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:26 pm

Happy New Year everyone,

Not been on here a while as too busy with the kennels, but I do have a question:

On the subject of bottled gas, we have a bottle inside the kitchen cupboard next to the cooker for 2 rings on the hob (other 2 are halogen). We bought the bottle from someone in BG and think it was either a British bottle or British connector. It is blue and has a blue valve on top. there is a sticker on saying it was filled in Varna.

We did get a leak when first installed and it hasn't leaked since...thankfully. But I rarely use it as the gas burns with a yellow flame at the ends and it makes the pots all black.

Can anyone tell me why it is doing this???? I use it if the electric goes off so is quite handy, but annoying that it is not burning properly. I hope it is safe being in the house as we live upstairs so it can't go outside.

Vicky

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
paul-alice
Super User!
Super User!

Postby paul-alice » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:36 pm

Not 100% sure on this but you get 2 types of bottled gas, butane for the blue bottle, and prophane for the red one, maybe worth trying the red one but get some advice before you do.

Regards Paul.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
THEGEORDIE
Super User!
Super User!

GAS

Postby THEGEORDIE » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:27 pm

it more likely needs a good service when was the last time it was serviced

BUT CHECK YOU ARE USEING CORRECT GAS FIRST

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
VickyC
Super User!
Super User!

Postby VickyC » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:42 pm

No idea when last serviced and I have hardly used it in past 2 years due to the problems I stated.

What is the correct gas and where do I get it serviced please?

Vicky

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
bullador
Super User!
Super User!

Postby bullador » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:54 pm

Vicky this was happening to my cooker as well, it was the jets that were to blame and not the gas. We had to change the jets, very easy to do because they just screw out and then screw the new ones in. The jets can be found on the cooker rings. Hope this helps. Do check to see that you are using the correct gas as well though, just in case its not the jets that are the problem. This cured our black sooty problem with the pans though.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
VickyC
Super User!
Super User!

Postby VickyC » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:12 pm

Hi Bullador,

Could it be the jets if it has been happening from day 1 with a brand new hob? How do I find out if I am using the right gas I wonder...does anyone else use the blue bottles for their gas hob?

Vicky

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
THEGEORDIE
Super User!
Super User!

gas

Postby THEGEORDIE » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:33 pm

try and find the data plate it should say on there along with jet sizes
also check the pipe that runs from the jets to the burner and make sure the air hole and pipe are not blocked with dust etc gently push thin flexilbe
straw in and blow down straw as it goes in

IF IN DOUBT DO NOT DO IT

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Moscow_Wolf
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Moscow_Wolf » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:50 pm

VickyC wrote:Hi Bullador,

Could it be the jets if it has been happening from day 1 with a brand new hob? How do I find out if I am using the right gas I wonder...does anyone else use the blue bottles for their gas hob?

Vicky

Because most new hobs you buy are fitted with jets for mains gas. When using bottled gas, you need to change the jets for such. Ideally, if you cannot ask at the place you bought your hob then, get the name and model number, find the maker's web-site and email for information.

You're just not get the right air to gas mix at the moment and that is why it is burning yellow and smoking your pots.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
doberden
<b>Property Sales/Rental/Management</b>

Postby doberden » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:56 pm

VickyC wrote:Hi Bullador,

Vicky

Hi Vicky

We use the blue gas bottles for our 4 ring gas hob with no problems.
The hob came fitted with standard jets for mains gas, but also in the box was 4 jets for bottled gas, put them on when fitting the hob, adjusted gas levels with screws under nobs and works perfect.

just surprised that jets for bottles didnt come with it.

Return to “General Discussion”