The "Right to Roam" in BG??

Discuss here anything that does not already have its own Forum.

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
stevek
Super User!
Super User!

The "Right to Roam" in BG??

Postby stevek » Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:06 pm

Hello, I wonder does anyone know what the attitude is in BG to people walking over land, I clearly do not mean cultivated fields etc, but near to Kranevo there is the tail end of the mountains/hills and it all looks like a very interesting place to walk. Is walking considered a pastime in BG and are we likely to hear the BG equivalent of "Get Orf My Land?
Steve.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
loz
Super User!
Super User!

Postby loz » Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:03 pm

Vel and I walk for miles through forests, mountains and open country and have never been stopped or questioned. Last summer we'd walked about 15km and came up against a rather sturdy metal fence which had been erected across the our track. We ended up squeezing underneath the fence and walked through the VT regional waterworks!. Vel was disgusted that we weren't stopped, as she said, we could have been terrorists with explosives or poison to wreck the water supply of the region.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
gushter
Super User!
Super User!

Postby gushter » Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:07 pm

In general there is absolutely no problem wandering on any path or track in the Bulgarian countryside. The pastures, forests etc around most villages are traditionally used by the locals to graze livestock, gather mushrooms, herbs and berries etc, and no-one will mind at all if you explore the region on foot, as long as you avoid crops and of course lush grassy meadows which are going to be scythed. Access to nature reserves, hunting reserves etc has more restrictions, and these you should only enter along officially marked and designated hiking trails. The other types of region that have quite strict access restrictions are so-called "water catchment zones", special areas that are used as sources of drinking water for surrounding settlements. Most of these are strictly no-go areas, but they are usually signed and access tracks have barriers. Basicly if a path or track is clear and open you are likely to have no problems wandering along it.

Of course the interesting question is what will happen now more and more foreigners are buying properties and land in Bulgaria. Are "we" going to fence off "our" land, put up signs saying "private" and "no-entrance" on tracks and paths that run through them? Its a problem that has become all to common in some other parts of Europe with newcomers jealously defending their new little estates! Unfortunately it is already starting in BG. I am afraid I have already found that some of the lovely cliff-top and coastal walks I used to do are now inaccessible, and even in and around some mountain villages in the Rodopi, pastures over which I once freely roamed have now started to become fenced off and divided up into little parcels with signs appearing saying "private property". Are the new British land-lords going to bring with them their old "Enclosure Act" mentality"?

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
greenfingers

The Right to Roam

Postby greenfingers » Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:05 am

You will find that the Bulgarians are extremely keen on hiking/walking and generally exploring around.Chat around locally to you and I'm sure you will find a local group who would provide you with company and also probably introduce to places and routes that would take you years to find by yourself.
They would also introduce to the various lodges and sleepovers.I got invited to a really good evening earlier this Summer by one of the local groups in my area - wonderful plenty of food and drink and traditional live music too and then off on another route.

Regards
Steve (greenfingers)

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
sheffieldm
Super User!
Super User!

walking

Postby sheffieldm » Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:46 am

we have found a loverly man in our village who is a keen walker and as his family has lived here for 5 generations knows all the local history and tells us things about the village which we would never found out. he has introduced us to the old lady who lived in our house and she has given us the history of it all adds to the enjoyment of living here

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Hippyboy
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Hippyboy » Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:48 pm

Hi Gushter , I'd love to think that you're wrong , but it certainly wouldn't be the first place that the Brits have f***** up . I don't suppose that the Bulgarian powers that be are likely to enforce public rights of way even if they do exist , so no doubt the fences will go up all over the place and free roaming will become a thing of the past . Chau , Tim .

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
stevek
Super User!
Super User!

Postby stevek » Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:46 pm

Many thanks indeed for your replies, Im rather looking forward to doing a little walking, however I would not want to give the impression that were regular ramblers, but its nice to know that you can explore the area without getting shouted at,
Steve.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
mihangel
Super User!
Super User!

Postby mihangel » Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:16 pm

Hi Hippyboy,
If that depressing prediction starts to become a reality and fences do begin to appear then Bulgarian walkers will have to organise themselves into a BG Rambler's Association. British rights of way only exist because they were fought for in the 1920's and 30's. The powers-that-were-then took the side of the landowners, but people-power won in the end.
Hopefully things will continue much as they are now. I for one am certainly looking forward to wandering all over my local area on foot.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
scot47
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby scot47 » Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:49 am

Rambling (PESHEKHODEN TURIZM) has been a popular pursuit in Bulgaria since the 1890's. The national organisation which has local branches all over Bulgaria is the BTS Bulgarski Turisticheski Soyuz.

There is almost certainly a branch near you wherever you are in BG. They organise walking activities for all ages !

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
bgcarl
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby bgcarl » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:56 pm

A bit of a disappointing day today and I wonder if anyone can help me.

After spending over 4 years here roaming all over the place and especially the last two years in Odrintsi, I was approached today by a guy with an offical card saying he was from "Ministry of the Interior." He told me I was not allowed to walk in the forests, just around the village. Walkiing is one of my greatest joys here and one of my major reasons for being here. I will go an see the mayor on Monday to question this and raise some sort of complaint.

Does anyone on MYBG know of an effective higher authority whom I can contact to seek some sort of official view on this? It does seem strange that everyone around here has known for years that I walk profusely and suddenly I'm not allowed to.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Cheers

BGCarl

Return to “General Discussion”