cost of living in bulgaria permanently

Discuss here anything that does not already have its own Forum.

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
sueian1
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

cost of living in bulgaria permanently

Postby sueian1 » Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:49 pm

This may seem a silly question but i read all the time about people who now live in bulgaria but have always wondered how they do it. I'm 30 so financially i cannot afford to move out to my house in bulgaria, Are you all retired or do you have jobs in bg i would love to know any stories of how you have come to move there permanently, Thanks, Ian.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
bullador
Super User!
Super User!

pension

Postby bullador » Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:57 pm

Hi Ian in answer to your question my husband and I are going to move over and live on his pension. Its not a great deal as he took early retirement at the age of 54, we could not live here on it but over in bulgaria we will be able to manage nicely. A young couple that I met over in bg had sold their house here, bought one over there and were living on the profit that they made. I dont know what they will do once all the profit has gone but at least they will have enjoyed quite a few years of living somewhere that they love.

Pat.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
booboo
Super User!
Super User!

Postby booboo » Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:08 pm

Not sure where my reply disappeared to, but here goes again

I am 24 and my G/f 20, both british

We now live on the edge of Topolovgrad (kind of nearish to Elhovo, Ian, to answer your question)

I trade shares on the stockmarket, and will not risk giving you info on the website where I do this, on the chance my post will not appear, so I will pm you more info if you need, and needless to say, not for the faint hearted.

Here the above average bulgarian, earns about £100 per month. I look to make about £100 per week, which results in 1100 leva, and a good living and money in the bank.

Happy to let you know more

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
sueian1
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Postby sueian1 » Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:11 pm

Hi Pat,

Are you not worried about health issues in bg as you get older, i know the nhs isn't great but what is it like in bg? would you move out there indefinitely if not could you afford to get back on the uk property market when you return,
Ian

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
booboo
Super User!
Super User!

Postby booboo » Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:12 pm

Health issues, and I know this was not to us, but making a living, and putting money in the bank, plus potential property profit means...

One hell of a deposit if we should ever return, and I have done the stockmarket trading for 7 years, so would do the same, be it Bulgaria, UK or otherwise,

but work harder in the uk

And not to forget the lazy afternoons here drinking beer in the sun, and just lately also true for winter

I found this when I searched the General Discussion forum heading that you may also find useful for comparison:

http://www.mybulgaria.info/modules.php? ... 62&start=0

MOD :wink:

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Villi
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

HEJ IAN

Postby Villi » Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:17 pm

:) Hej Ian,
Are you sure that you wanna come to live here permanently :)

What most foreigners prefer to do is to work in their homecountries and then come for a couple of months to spend their money on bg pleasure.

You see, coming here at such a young age is not very wise, since the rates of unemployment are very high ( for now).

The best you can do is to ask your company to transfer you here, but make sure that they will pay you what you earn now ( or more ;) ) If you have business of your own search the market here and see whether you can enter it.

Whatever you decide - don' hope to find a well paid job here - there is a SHORTAGE

:)

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
hev
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Postby hev » Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:21 pm

Hi everone,

this is a very relevant question which applies to me and my husband at this particular time. It was only last evening we were contemplating moving across to Bulgaria in June next year. We should be owners of our house within the next few days and are fed up of should we/ can we afford to move next year. If someone can give some idea of costs it would make it much easier to decide. I am looking at modest living with a little luxury now and then. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

regards

Hev

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
sueian1
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Postby sueian1 » Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:30 pm

I'am very jealous of people going to live there but it is also a very scary decision, One that needs to be thought out very carefully. The way i feel our country is heading i think i will be joining you all! do you think you will holiday here instead :lol:

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
luna2
<b>Building Services</b>

Postby luna2 » Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:35 pm

We were actually discussing the very same thing a couple of days ago. A British couple who own their own apartment in Varna City = 1000 - 1200 leva, living basically not alot of luxuries, a British couple with a four year old child living in a village 15km from Varna = 1700 - 1900 leva, a couple living in a neighborhood in Varna with 3yr old child 800 - 1000 leva.

So I would say the average of about 1200 leva per month should give you a basic living with the odd luxury / night out / restaurant meal. Including annual insurances, medical, car repairs etc...etc...

Hope that gives an idea.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
leedarkwood
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby leedarkwood » Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:41 pm

Look for posts by Dusty to get some ideas about living costs. But it is hard to give a firm answer, I live in the UK on very little, but down go out very often, or spend more than I have to on clothes for example. Someone else will need a lot more if those things are important to them. Are we talking about being able to take foreign holidays? Will you fit into a village lifestyle and rear your own food? Will imported fags and brands be important to you?
We are moving out at 46 and 50 but taking our internet business with us, we only need to do a small percentage of our uk sales to live well in BG.
If you have enough equity in a house here, you could sell, buy one in bg and live on the interest of the amount left.

Lee

Return to “General Discussion”