water

Discuss here anything that does not already have its own Forum.

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Fannyarbuckle

water

Postby Fannyarbuckle » Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:28 pm

Hi everyone.

Can anybody tell me if the tap water in BG is safe to drink

Regards FA

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
sheffieldm
Super User!
Super User!

water

Postby sheffieldm » Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:31 pm

we buy the large mineral water has the other taste differant and fills kettles with limescale very quickly

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
tedthered
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby tedthered » Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:34 pm

Our appartment is in Ravda and we find the tap water ok, we clean our teeth with it and boil it for coffee, we use bottled water out of the fridge because it is cold

Ted the Red

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
gushter
Super User!
Super User!

Postby gushter » Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:42 pm

In general the tap water is fine to drink in Bulgaria. I only drink mineral water in larger Bulgarian cities (because the water often tastes highly treated), everywhere else in smaller towns, villages, mountains etc I drink from taps, as well as from the "cheshmi" (water fountains) that you find all over Bulgaria. I have spent most of the last 20 years travelling round Bulgaria and have never yet had any stomach problems. The majority of clients who come on my walking and wildlife holidays also drink the water from taps and fountains and never report any stomach problems caused by doing so. Many actually comment that it is a pleasure to travel somewhere where the tap water is so good!

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
stevek
Super User!
Super User!

Postby stevek » Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:46 pm

Does anyone know where the water in different areas actually comes from and what's in it? We noticed that the water in Albena and Kranevo (neighbouring towns) tastes the same, its drinkable but with quite a distinctive taste, which I guess is mineral content? it does however give a strange taste to tea and we used bottled water to brew up. Am I right in thinking its Minerals that give it the taste or is it chemicals??
Steve.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
DANNIA
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby DANNIA » Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:54 am

we use bottled water for tea as we end up with a scum on top of it otherwise. It also stains the cups far worse than in the UK.
Our friends in the vilage have one of those small instant water heaters under their kitchen sink, they have only been in their house since July 06, and before Christmas the water flow had got down to nothing, so they checked all the pipework to find it blocked up with limescale.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Villyman
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Villyman » Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:39 am

Hi Dannia,

Is limescale a problem all over BG, as I was also going to fit an undersink heater this summer.

Only just got kitchen built so haven't had the opportunity to boil a kettle yet to find out. I'm near Dobrich.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
DANNIA
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby DANNIA » Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:54 am

Hiya Villyman
am unsure but I think so yes. Our friends who have been in the same vilage for 2 years, have been through 3 large boilers!

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Villyman
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Villyman » Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:58 am

Thanks Dannia,

Well it looks like some research is the order of the day to keep limescale damage to the minimum. I don't fancy changing boilers that often.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Fannyarbuckle

Postby Fannyarbuckle » Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:54 pm

Hi all,

I'm glad I asked the question about water because I have read so many diverse opinions. Now we are talking about limescale, which is all part of the water problem.

here in Spain where I live we have terrible water, at first we were told it was ok to drink but after someone decided to get it tested we reverted to water from a spring in a village nearby which is straight from the mountain.

However we still get limescale especially in the kettle and we have tried everything including putting a cork in the kettle which is supposed to collect the limescale.

On our water inlet pipe we have an electronic Scalemaster which is supposed to keep particles in suspended state, we also have a water filter which is horrifying when you see just how much dirt and muck is in the water.

So does anybody have an answer to a maiden's prayer (!!!) how can we make sure that we have clean water.

Will also add that we have boiled bottled water and got the same furring in the kettle although it did take longer,

regards FA

Return to “General Discussion”