Marriage in BG

Discuss here anything that does not already have its own Forum.

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
millomgirl
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby millomgirl » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:25 pm

Good idea about obtaining copies of the marriage certificate, Mike. When I worked in Registration, we used to get loads of people coming in for copies of their marriage certificates for people who had been married abroad. They seemed to think that UK Registry Offices keep records for all marriages, and of course this is not the case, only for marriages which have taken place in England and Wales. :lol:

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
tufty200
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Postby tufty200 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:28 pm

do you still have to fill in a notice to marriage form at least 3 weeks before the notice of impediment form if doing everything at the embassy in Sofia?

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Slaphead
Pig Headed

Postby Slaphead » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:53 pm

tufty200 wrote:do you still have to fill in a notice to marriage form at least 3 weeks before the notice of impediment form if doing everything at the embassy in Sofia?

Yes, because this gives people 3 weeks to lodge any objections to your marriage :D In UK its the equivalent of "posting the banns".

I would also check with the municipality where you are hoping to get married because we have had to put in a declaration of intention to get marrried one month before the date although this probably varies as with everything else.

Don't rely on the embassy in Sofia to do anything other than issue your Notice of No Impediment and sworn Affadavit - the legalisation at the Bulgarian Ministry of Foreign Affairs is down to you to organise. This can either be done in person or via a licenced translation agency.

None of this is cheap, as stated earlier, so far we have spent 1000 lev which doesn't include travel and accomodation for 2 nights in Sofia but we do have all the documents now.

Mrs Slaps

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Slaphead
Pig Headed

Postby Slaphead » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:26 am

The ministry for Foreign Affairs, in Sofia, is close to the hotel Pliska.
In our case, we had 4 documents to be legalised (2 copies of each). Each document attracted a 40 Lev tax for processing. This tax has to be paid prior to lodging your docs with the ministry. The method of payment is via postage stamps which you acquire from the Post Office. The nearest Post office to the Ministry is a good 25 minute walk away and almost impossible to find, so get your stamps beforehand. You then stick 40 Lev of postage stamps to the back of each document. :P
If you manage to lodge your docs before 12 noon, you should be able to get the 'Express Service', i.e. same day processing and have everything over and done that day. If not, you'll have to return the following day to collect your docs.

Slaps.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
tufty200
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Postby tufty200 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:19 am

Thanks for the info Slaps, I am actually marrying a Bulgarian, the plan is to get the notice to marry form done early september (I have filled in one last year but marriage was put off to this year, so will have to do it again) This was 150 levs last year. Then in October more than 3 weeks after the notice was given, I would then go to the Embassy with my partner to fill in the Impediment form and then get it legalised. Then in November we plan to marry. My partner has already been in the civil registry place in Plovdiv to find out exactly what they need from us. Also her best friends mum is a doctor so getting the blood test done will not be an issue. So I guess the question is, is it actually cheaper to get all the impediment stuff done in the UK and stamped here or to do it in Sofia, I am over there anyway during the times I stated. Paul

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
cherifa
<b>Prop Management/Transport/Sales</b>

We got married on the 18th of July

Postby cherifa » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:00 pm

Hi there,

I'm French and my husband is Brithish and we live here, let me tell the hell of experience we had.

In February, I asked our municipality what docs we need, she said passeport and a doc for you that said never been married and your futur husband's divorce paper.
Then send me a word with our mayor saying you can't get married here, you have to go to Sofia to your embassy.
Called my lawyer who said "B...sh..", then called my embassy who said you can't get married without doing your docs with the French and the Brithish embassy.

So, we go to Sofia, my husband paid 360 Lev for 3 docs and me nothing but more papers to give to my embassy.

Then went called 3 weeks later to hear my embassy telling that it's not ready because they thought we changed our mind, she said you hesitated talking to me. Anyway scramed at her and got her to get the docs ready in 10 days.

We go to Sofia to pick them up, the girl says you need to legalize them now, we said OK where, she goes Ah you can't because they open only in the morning (keep in mind that the Brithish consulat opens only in the afternoon) so I started to have a fit, called my lawyer, she got me to get them legalized by someone in Yambol ( who send them to Sofia).

Anyway, we got our docs 4 days later and here i go to our municipality to give them the docs 30 days before the wedding date, got there and the same woman said live them with me.

Then send me word again with our mayor saying you cant' get married here you have to go get married in Sofia, then I was so upset, I went to the municipality and saw the mayor of the municipality in the hallway, he what you're doing here? I said I came to see you, he takes to his office, I told him the British consulat sait to me that 15 to 20 Brithish couple get married in BG so if they can then we can.

He called the lawyer of the municipality and another lady, they kept saying we can't'- get married here, I called my lawyer and said talk to this woman (the lawyer of the municiplity) the mayor was telling that they don't have any experience so that's why they really don't know what to do. then his lawyer turned off the phone and said to him Oh yes they can get married here, they have a business and a house, ( i would kill then) I said: Of course we live here every single person who works in here and the mayor himself knows that we live in Voinika for 4 years and the law said that we have to be living here 3 years, you could've asked. The the mayor started to yell at them to rush things so that everything is ready for the 18th of July.

We got married, then I had to translate and legalize the mariage certificat in French and in English and then legalize them, when the girls taking care of this was in Sofia, the ministry for Foreign Affairs said that the docs need the municipality stamp called something (i forgot). We had to make copies again (lucky me, the mayor and her secretary are my friends, it was their lunch time ) then went to the municipality and send them again to Sofia.

I didn't say every single hassle, it would take me 3 days to write eveything, but let me tell you that I had a lot of tears and stress for 2 month and lost 12 pounds.

Someone asked me about getting married here, i said it would cost you less money to get married in Las Vegas.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Moscow_Wolf
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Moscow_Wolf » Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:41 am

I have a question about BLOOD and Medical Health checks prior to a marriage here in Bulgaria as has been mentioned in some previous posts : -

Are these relevant for EVERY marriage in Bulgaria even if one NON Bulgarian EU member state member wants to marry a NON EU citizen?

Or, is this required when just wanting to marry a Bulgarian citizen?

I ask, because I have seen nothing about these tests on the British Embassy website nor, was it mentioned during a discussion with the British Consular Section in Sofia about the requirements of marriage.

Further, does the UK require same or similar or any other EU Countries as I would have thought this to be some invasion of privacy and probably contravenes some Human Rights legislation.

It all appears a little 'communist' to me and reminds me of producing the perfect specimen worker for the future. Don't get me wrong, I am used to all of this in Russia when I had to undergo HIV and other sexual disease tests, plus checks for TB, Leprosy and a host of other infectious diseases, criminal record checks, language proficiency tests, a list of documents as long as your arm and be fingerprinted. This was just over 3 years ago and just to obtain Temporary Residence, but there were/are no blood or medical checks for two individual to marry in Russia hence, it seems a little strange to see it mentioned here as a requirement.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Slaphead
Pig Headed

Postby Slaphead » Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:01 am

Moscow_Wolf wrote:I have a question about BLOOD and Medical Health checks prior to a marriage here in Bulgaria as has been mentioned in some previous posts : -

Are these relevant for EVERY marriage in Bulgaria even if one NON Bulgarian EU member state member wants to marry a NON EU citizen?

I ask, because I have seen nothing about these tests on the British Embassy website nor, was it mentioned during a discussion with the British Consular Section in Sofia about the requirements of marriage.

Further, does the UK require same or similar or any other EU Countries as I would have thought this to be some invasion of privacy and probably contravenes some Human Rights legislation.

It all appears a little 'communist' to me and reminds me of producing the perfect specimen worker for the future. Don't get me wrong, I am used to all of this in Russia when I had to undergo HIV and other sexual disease tests, plus checks for TB, Leprosy and a host of other infectious diseases, criminal record checks, language proficiency tests, a list of documents as long as your arm and be fingerprinted. This was just over 3 years ago and just to obtain Temporary Residence, but there were/are no blood or medical checks for two individual to marry in Russia hence, it seems a little strange to see it mentioned here as a requirement.

Hi Moscow Wolf

The best we can come up with is that it's a BG requirement and we understand it applies to BG citizens too.
The embassy probably don't mention it as it's not a requirement for UK.

Slaps.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
scot47
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby scot47 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:24 am

For anyone who is not resdient in Bulgaria and thinking of getting married hgere, let these posts be w warning about the bureaucratic complications.

If you can get married somehwre else - do that ! It will be a lot easier !

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
cherifa
<b>Prop Management/Transport/Sales</b>

Postby cherifa » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:23 am

Moscow_Wolf wrote:I have a question about BLOOD and Medical Health checks prior to a marriage here in Bulgaria as has been mentioned in some previous posts : -

The blood test is a must, but it's a real joke, we made a copy of it,
We went to a laboratory for the blood test, she gave us a half piece of paper that said we don't have siphilys, we bust out laughing, then the muinicipality said no, with a funny piece of paper to go to a clinic for medicat exam, we go to Yambol polyclinic, a woman gave us a tiny piece of paper with 5 room numbers, in each one we found a nurse who wrote some sort of results and a stamp, then at the end we took that paper to the municipality who didn't ask any question and that is your blood test.

It's for every single person who gets married in BG.

Return to “General Discussion”