A change in culture

Discuss here anything that does not already have its own Forum.

Moderator: Moderator

mugshot

A change in culture

Postby mugshot » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:30 am

Does anyone think that now Bulgaria has become part of the EU the culture will change?

By this question I mean the fact that business models will probably change causing a positive impact on income meaning people can afford more luxuries, and the fact that the government will have alot more money available to reduce poverty.

The roads and pavements in Plovdiv are already being resurfaced/repaved.

CBB47

A Change in Culture

Postby CBB47 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:32 pm

Hi, Mugshot,

In my opinion - it will take a fair amount of time before the "Culture" in general changes.
From my experience of Portugal - I would say that EU money will most likely be spent on improving the infrastructure, particularly the roads (and that will be welcomed with open arms by the majority of the population). I imagine that prices will rise in the holiday areas on the coast first, and will be led very much by the measure of "if and when" BG adopts the Euro.

Assuming that this goes ahead (and I confess to not having any real idea of how close this scenario is) - prices will definitely rise. However, if the majority of the population doesn't have the income to accommodate the increases; then the sale of goods will drop again, and rise more slowly after that.

As to general attitudes, I can only say that the people of a country change only slowly - and the Portugese people I knew prior to EU entry haven't changed much at all in their attitudes. They do tend to moan about prices - much as I recall doing when Britain went decimal! Oh dear - now I've given my age away!

adrianomeara
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Postby adrianomeara » Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:16 pm

We were in Portugal when they changed over to the Euro. Because the amounts were so different to what the had before it was really complicated for them (much more than us because the denominations were similar to sterling).

Every night we went to the same bar and the prices changed...for the better....they got lower every time :D

mugshot

Postby mugshot » Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:43 pm

I believe the EU has said that Bulgaria has to adopt the Euro by January 1st 2010, my plan is to be estabilished in Bulgaria before this date as I see much changing after this.

I heard about the issue in Portugal, my friend was there and said that many places just change the prices like for like 1 - 1 and this caused extremely high prices. My friend said aot of this was due to lack of information about the change by the government, but like you said many people slowly reduced the prices to a more reasonable level.

scot47
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby scot47 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:33 pm

The decison about adopting the Euro is not a decision for Brussels. This will be decided at national level - just as the British will decide whether to adopt that currency.

Shadow_lands

Postby Shadow_lands » Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:35 pm

I'm glad to hear that! I don't like to think that anyone has been forced into anything!

DAVEH

Postby DAVEH » Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:27 pm

I hope it does not change too much I for 1 like BG as it Is

calm and charming

D

ardleystar
Super User!
Super User!

Postby ardleystar » Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:05 pm

BG has to join ERM-2 as a precusor to adopting the Euro, the fact that the BGN is pegged to the Euro should help facilitate the process; between 2010 and 2012 seems a likely timescale. Will be more interesting to see how they treat VAT on provisions, currently 20% :twisted:

mugshot

Postby mugshot » Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:54 pm

Scot47, unfortunatley Bulgaria is not in the same situation regarding the Euro as the UK. The UK was part of the EU prior to the Euro becoming a currency so has the right to say no to using it as a national currency, Bulgaria became part of Europe after this so has to adopt the Euro within a specified period as part of its joining agreement..

sundayafternoon

Postby sundayafternoon » Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:27 am

ardley

will the vat rate be reduced to 17.5 % ?
like in the uk.

sundayaftermoon

Return to “General Discussion”