Winter wood supplies

Discuss here anything that does not already have its own Forum.

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Jezebelle

wood deliveries

Postby Jezebelle » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:06 pm

We arrive in VT on Jan 23 and are wondering how easy it is to get wood the same day or next day? What is delivery like? New to the winter and keeping warm. Last year stayed in town, this year hoping to stay in our house. Any help would be great.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
tamarisk

Postby tamarisk » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:53 pm

Hi Jezebelle
How far from VT is your house?
I live quite near to VT and could show you where we get our wood if you do not live too far out.
Regards
Tamarisk

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
seathrift
Super User!
Super User!

Postby seathrift » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:39 am

23rd Jan. is a Sunday so unless you are very lucky I would say no chance of same day. Delivery on a Monday should not be a problem if you get to the wood yard early, subject always to how much snow has fallen around that time.
The wood is likely to be quite wet so be sure you have sufficient kindling for your needs.
I have no idea what you will have to pay but for certain you will have to pay cash, so have plenty of leva when you go.
My apologies if the above is "teaching Grandmother to suck eggs", but better to be safe than sorry!

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
ChrisF
Super User!
Super User!

Postby ChrisF » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:56 am

If you have your own transport you could buy wood in Praktiker to keep you going until you get a delivery

Chris

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
scot47
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby scot47 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:24 am

If the roads are clear you can probabl;y have a delivery on the Monday. It is better to get this done through a Bulgarian friend or neighbour. It is also prudent to get your supplies in the summer, when prices are lower. If you are in a village ask the Mayor about deliveries. That way the wood comes direct from the Forestry Department, cutting out the middlemen.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
leedarkwood
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby leedarkwood » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:54 am

Ask for dry wood and be prepared to pay more for it, most wood at the wood years is 'new' and won't burn well. It need at least six months stacking before use. Be aware if you burn non seasoned wood it will produce more soot and creasote in your flue. If you only need a few days supply I would buy from a neighbour.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
eyebright
Super User!
Super User!

Postby eyebright » Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:41 am

You could always get a bag or two of coal and/or briquettes to tide you over. Often the 'hardware' store in your village will keep a few bags of briquettes at least.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Jezebelle

wood deliveries

Postby Jezebelle » Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:41 pm

Thank you all so much for your replies and help. We do have a little left from Oct when we were last out but will only last a couple of days. We do live 16km from VT but have transport and are more than happy to travel to buy wood as realise the time of year and good old 'supply and demand!' Will look in June to buy for next winter, thanks for the tip.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Moscow_Wolf
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Moscow_Wolf » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:47 am

I cannot speak for all parts of Bulgaria, but I think that most would agree that in South East Bulgaria, that the weather has been fairly mild so far and a lot of you have not used as much firewood as in other winters.

As this is my first winter in the new house as opposed to being in a caravan for the last one, I am still learning how best to regulate my 'Petchka' which also provides me with hot water (in addition to an electric immersion heater element). Being in an ECO house, I don't usually light the fire until around 5-6pm and my wood supplies are my own cut Plum tree and Willow some of which has not had time to dry out completely as it should have, but it is free except for the cost of my chainsaw fuel and maintenance.

I use about a small sackful of chopped wood per evening minimum and the fire is always going out or gone out by around midnight, but this is enough to warm/heat the house depending on outside temperature. I'm just wondering how much wood (in sackfuls as opposed to cubic metres) you use to keep your house heated on a typical day. Do you keep your home fire burning 24/7 or just light it as required? Just trying to get a measure for next winter on how much wood I might require on a daily basis.

I understand that there are numerous factors to take into account and that it might be perceived as a general how long is a piece of string question, but just trying to get some rough idea.

Cheers.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
theweeton
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby theweeton » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:58 am

Was going to ask how big your sack and piece of string were :?
For a mark3 russian type house (insulated) I use about 10 cube/winter which works out between half a barrow and one and a half standard wheelbarrows a day (depending on temp) the fire is in 24/7 hope this helps (I always have 5 cube in reserve for the bad winter that will happen)

Return to “General Discussion”