warning to all newbies, going to varna.

Discuss here anything that does not already have its own Forum.

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Markone
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

warning to all newbies, going to varna.

Postby Markone » Mon May 28, 2007 11:23 am

Good morning all,

I have just returned from my first visit from varna, great trip great weather, lovely city.

I do not have a problem with gypsies, although i thought i should inform people about the gangs of gypsies that work around most money exchange booths, especially near the kentucky KFC and market end.

They work in groups of 6 or 7 and openly hustle tourists with the pretence of changing money for a slightly better rate than the booths, BE AWARE THAT THE CASH THEY CARRY IS THE OLD CURRENCY AND IS NO LONGER VALID.

WHILST DOING THE HUSTLING I PERSONALLY WITNESSED AN ENGLISH COUPLE GET ROBBED.
A YOUNG GIRL CAME FROM BEHIND AND WITHIN A FEW SECONDS TOOK THE ENGLISH GIRLS PURSE FROM HER BACK PACK. AND THE THE WHOLE GANG VANISHED INTO THE MARKET.

I CAUGHT UP WITH THE COUPLE AS THEY LEFT UNAWARE, THEY HAD ONLY BEEN IN BULGARIA A FEW HOURS, THEY LOST £1000 IN CASH ALL THEIR CREDIT CARDS DRIVING LICENCE THE LOT.

I have been watching this site for a few months, I have read about pick pockets but had never come accross this money scam anywhere on the site.

There are three gangs that I saw and they changed location each day, very obvious and they keep coming back???

The police are not that intrested and certainly dont try to stop it?

So for anyone new going to BG, just be aware AND HAVE A GOOD TIME.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Keegan
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Keegan » Mon May 28, 2007 11:43 am

Thanks for the warning Markone. I would however like to add beware in any big town/city anywhere in the world. Barry and I were badly mugged in Barcelona about 4 years ago and my sister had her handbag stolen in a very expensive hotel foyer in Madrid. So it just goes to show that vigilance is the name of the game.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Hoowster
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Hoowster » Mon May 28, 2007 1:19 pm

Yes dont get paranoid it happens everywhere :wink:

The last robbery I am aware of..... was US when we did the "A Place in The Sun" Exhibition in London at ExCel.
We had a laptop stolen from the foyer of the hotel we were staying at.
The guy taking it was caught on CCTV but the police didnt even show up to get the tape :roll:

We did however get to speak to "someone" on the phone :roll:

8)

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Trifonov
<b>Lawyer</b>

Postby Trifonov » Mon May 28, 2007 1:59 pm

Well guys,

Those gypsies are well known to the Police but not to you. If you move within a large group or have other people by your side you'd better take a photo of those thieves. If you then carry it to the LPD be sure that you'll face a refund within hours :D

Good luck (one always is in need of it) :wink:

Emil

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Mat
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Mat » Mon May 28, 2007 2:54 pm

Fortunately, most of the best Roma thieves and associated ne'er do wells are busy in the London Underground. I caught one the other day nicking a handbag out of a British tourists child buggy and, after giving the little scrote a thorough beating in the middle of the street much to the amusement of the loitering police, ran after the couple and handed it back. Guess what? She put it back in the buggy.

You make your own luck.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Anni
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Anni » Mon May 28, 2007 4:45 pm

You actually saw a police officer in London Mat? Rarer than hens teeth. Sure they weren't PCSO's?

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
ROCKETPOTTY

Postby ROCKETPOTTY » Mon May 28, 2007 5:44 pm

I am going to Varna on Wednesday on my second visit. Unfortunately I am travelling alone and don't feel safe in Varna, even in daytime. However, this might be a good tip for all : After a recent attempted mugging on me in Spain's Benidorm, I have learned to keep my wallet in my side pocket, with a SECOND wallet containing just a relatively small amount of cash in my rear pocket. The supposition is that if anyone successfully mugs me, then there is just enough in the rear wallet to let me off the hook, I hope !

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Magellan

Postby Magellan » Mon May 28, 2007 5:45 pm

Yes this money changing scam goes on in other places too. My bro-in-law got done in Nessebar, right next to the money booth in the centre near the green.
Couldn't believe he actually fell for it !

Gary.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
phoenix2b
Super User!
Super User!

Postby phoenix2b » Mon May 28, 2007 7:09 pm

and I think we are all aware of the ones that operate in both Sunny Beach and Golden Sands- advertising a price-which is in fact the rate of Levs they want for a £-not the rate they will give you-which is much, much lower-

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Hoowster
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Hoowster » Thu May 31, 2007 11:24 am

Spottytom put this in another thread but it belongs here so to help her and others I have cut & pasted it

Just arrived back from our second visit to our new apartment in Bulgaria and thought I would share my experience - in the hope that it might save someone else from going through the same.
Took my elderly mother with us this time. She is quite frail and we took a taxi into Varna for a day's shopping. Got out at the Cathedral and walked down through the underpass. Husband and daughter were a way ahead and mum was on my arm, walking slowely. We were surrounded by two men and two women (Gypsies) in their late twenties, cornered and mugged. We werent hurt, just shook up and they got nothing - as my husband was carrying our money. I fought back a bit, but was concentrating mainly on not letting my mother fall to the ground. My husband turned round, shouted and ran towards us and the four all ran off. They got hold of mum's bag, but I got it off them.
It hasnt put us off Bulgaria - after all similar could have happened in London etc, but we are now very careful and extremely aware of what and who is around us at all times.
I think they watch the taxis pull up, from the other side of the street, and then target the tourists and rush down into the underpass to intercept you. We went back the following day (left mum at home to rest) and saw them in action again!
Hope this might save someone else experiencing the same.

8)
Last edited by Hoowster on Thu May 31, 2007 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General Discussion”