warning to all newbies, going to varna.

Discuss here anything that does not already have its own Forum.

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
PCVrach

Pickpockets

Postby PCVrach » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:44 am

The Cathedral is famous for it!

I agree with thorney tho, crime is not exclusive to Bulgaria sad to say!

Please be careful folks, wherever there are tourists you will find these people too!

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Hoowster
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Hoowster » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:15 am

Varna is prone to holiday season pickpockets (as anywhere)....Be careful in any tourist areas as well as on the buses, stations, underpases, and in queques etc.....

Normal method involves about 3 proffesional people all well dressed & probably gypsies, one knocks or engages you in conversation (or they crowd around you on the bus) others take your valuables. 409 to Golden Sands favourite place for a team of 3 well dressed but distinctly Gipsy girls...
If harassed start shouting at them...
They dont like the publicity.... :wink:

8)

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
jinx57
<b>Property Finder</b>

Postby jinx57 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:26 am

what ever carry item you use, the opening needs to be tucked close to your body where you can see it.

A 'bum bag' with the bag bit at the front or at your side with your hand resting on it as you walk is ideal

shoulder bag that crosses your body wiht the bag bit to the front /side is fairly safe

back pockets of jeans etc a no-no

Back-packs are asking for trouble

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
varnagirl
Super User!
Super User!

Postby varnagirl » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:56 am

Hoowster wrote:..
8)

I did that the last time it happened to me....also gave her a black eye..she didn,t like that either !!
they got my xmas money off me 6yrs ago ...they will never get another stotinki , if i can help it !

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Biker
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Biker » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:44 am

Disagree about the visible bum bag, especially if you are a woman and easily targeted by crowd or over powered, on underpass.

The bum bag draws attention to the fact that you are a tourist and that you may be carrying more than the normal Bg out for the day or lunch.

When wearing one we spotted two men eyeballing us as we headed for the underpass at the Cathederal, They moved to follow us so we quickly changed direction and used the crossing instead.
Also we were constantly approached by money changers when wearing this.

ladies carry an ordinary handbag like the Bulgarian ladies

Perferably with little to no valuables in.

If necessary cover bumbag and keep hidden.

Once we stopped wearing bum bag, most money lenders stopped approaching us.
Before that it was constant in Varna.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
houseman
Super User!
Super User!

Postby houseman » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:03 pm

They can spot Brits a mile off, bumbag or no. :?

Standing behind a Bulgarian in a queue last week, he pulled a wallet from his trouser back pocket and OMG I haven't seen so much cash in one place since The Italian Job.

I wouldn't risk a few leva like that, let alone all those thousands! 8O

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Hoowster
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Hoowster » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:59 pm

varnagirl wrote:
Hoowster wrote:..
8)

I did that the last time it happened to me....also gave her a black eye..she didn,t like that either !!
they got my xmas money off me 6yrs ago ...they will never get another stotinki , if i can help it !

Good work....Youre truly a STAR!

They (the three girls that is) were crowding around me on a bus into Varna so I got my wallet out and waved it at them....They shouted at me and got off the bus... :lol: The passengers all shouted at them too by the way!....

But they dont go home.... they just get on the next bus!
The clippies know them but they are scared of reprisals if they intervene.

Someone else who knows Varna might like to comment on the police standpoint..... :wink:

8)

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
PCVrach

Italian Job

Postby PCVrach » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:00 pm

houseman wrote:OMG I haven't seen so much cash in one place since The Italian Job.

Ahh............. so you're the one that got away? :D

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
varnaman
Super User!
Super User!

Postby varnaman » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:22 pm

Hoowster...I actually came up behind one of the girls one day and looked in HER bag which was over her shoulder . You should have seen the look on her face ! Many of them recognised me after a while as I used to wait until they were near tourists at bus stops and I walked in front of them offering my phone or camera, so I chose one of the younger 'trainees', who looked a bit friendlier than the regular hard faced ones. Next time she saw me she actually smiled and looked a bit sheepish,so I don't think she lasted long.
Anyway, the thing is that I have a photo of a few of the regulars being spoken to by a policeman at a bus stop on Slivnitsa, and I wondered if it would help any newbies to recognise what to look for.
I am not going to post it here even if allowed (Which i doubt) as you never know who might be reading, so I wonder if..
a) anyone thinks it might help
b) anyone has an idea how they can be posted somewhere legally with no comeback

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
mememe
Super User!
Super User!

Postby mememe » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:34 am

Hi!

Just my opinion Varnaman -

a) I would suggest that any would-be targets would be better advised just to be as alert as possible to where their possessions are and of who might be too near to them, rather than focusing too much on one possible group who might try to rob them. However, it could be useful as long as it doesn't overly focus people's attention on one group to the exclusion of all others.

b) I would think you could probably upload it to a file sharing site such as Rapidshare (http://www.rapidshare.com/) without too much risk of comeback. File download would only be possible by those who knew the direct download link, which you could supply on PM request. This would restrict download only to registered members who had also been 'vetted' by yourself.

A couple of words of warning though: Blatantly looking in someone else's bag, (be they criminals or not) could easily be misconstrued. You could even find yourself on the receiving end of summary justice by others holding the same views about stealing as yourself! I also wouldn't get too brash in doing things such as 'offering' your chattels. There are still some 'snatch and run' criminals out there too!

Return to “General Discussion”