Electricty and water Payment of Bills

Discuss here anything that does not already have its own Forum.

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
johnx689
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Electricty and water Payment of Bills

Postby johnx689 » Tue May 29, 2007 11:54 pm

Can anyone advise please as to the easiest way of paying utility bills on Village holiday homes. Have discovered that a Bulgarian Direct Debit is less than perfect as it apparently has to renewed at the end of the Calender Year . (I foolishly set one up at start of december!!!) . The water bill in my place is apparently metered which the water company can't gain access to as the prenmises are locked . I am told by others that neither utility send a paper bill in any case ???

Would just like general advise to try to make this simpler for the future, also any general advise on how quickly elecctricty or water companies would try to disconnect.

Am based in GENERAL TOSHEVO TOWN but any general solutions for making this simpler from those in other areas would be much appreciated too.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
philr68
Super User!
Super User!

Postby philr68 » Wed May 30, 2007 4:38 am

HI Johnx,

The situation for foreigners trying to pay utility bills is ludicrous.

The normal method of paying is to go to the village post office or the utility company offices once a month and pay over the counter. Paper bills are not issued.

The direct debit system does work, but is expensive. Usually the charges for the transaction cost more than the bill.

I cannot speak for your region, but in Yambol, our clients do the following:

1. Leave money with a friend in the village to pay the bills in their absence.

2. Wait until they return to BG and then clear the bills and have their electricity reconnected (the cost for this is 15lv as opposed to 18lv per month for direct debit).

3. Set up Direct debits.

The water company will not disconnect your supply. In Yambol however, they insist on on a direct debit for payment.

The electricity company will disconnect the supply without any warning if the bill has not been paid within a few days of the due date.

BR

Phil :)

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
varnaman
Super User!
Super User!

Postby varnaman » Wed May 30, 2007 8:08 am

Without wishing to criticise this particular poster,i think it shows the need to make friends and integrate rather than just having a holiday home. Perhaps a local person could even be employed to pay the bills,or use a property company.
Surely there are enough Brits in the General Toshevo area for a local resident to take care of things as a business---or would nobody want to pay for this ?

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
philr68
Super User!
Super User!

Postby philr68 » Wed May 30, 2007 8:36 am

Hi Varnaman,

I completely agree, integration is the best way forward.

As you can see that is the first thing on my list.

And just to clarify, my definition of "friend" covers all nationalities, creeds, races etc.

BR

Phil

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
johnx689
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Utility Bills

Postby johnx689 » Thu May 31, 2007 9:30 pm

Thanks for the feedback.

Couldn't agree more about integration. Just used the 'Holiday Home' tag to make it clear I (like I suspect the majority of British House Purchasers in Bulgaria) am not there the whole year. Deliberately bought a semi detached house in a small town so we were not cut off in our own little enclave.

Have just about got the matter sorted both though my solicitors and my maintenance company in General Toshevo. I simply thought that things were becoming overly complicated to pay a small bill and I thought I might have misunderstood something or be missing out on an easier solution and thus wanted to swap notes with others .

Phils comments have helpfully clarified that the system does indeed appear to be a complex for a non resident (especially so as the Electricity Office in General Toshevo has just been shut down)

The good news in that they do not seem half as fast to cut off where I am as in Yambol as despite accidently letting my original Direct Debit lapse I had no supply problems.

Regards

John

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
blowpipe

Postby blowpipe » Thu May 31, 2007 10:02 pm

i employ a accouant she pays the bills and the tax for me no hassle cost me 400 euro a year

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
hijack06
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Postby hijack06 » Thu May 31, 2007 10:28 pm

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
mike4727
<b>Property Management</b>

Postby mike4727 » Thu May 31, 2007 10:28 pm

I suspect that you have an extremely happy accountant :lol: willing seller & willing buyer etc :lol: :lol:

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
oldtimer
<b>Prop Management/Transport/Sales</b>

Postby oldtimer » Thu May 31, 2007 10:43 pm

400 euros 8O as Phil said the best way is to make friends with your neighbour who can pay the bills on your behalf at the post office for you when they pay there's and say thank you by giving them a small gift when you return each time.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
philr68
Super User!
Super User!

Postby philr68 » Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:06 am

400 Euro !!!*@!@*!

Is there glass doors on your accountant's offices? :D

BR

Phil :)

Return to “General Discussion”