LPG Heating

Discuss here anything that does not already have its own Forum.

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Delmar

LPG Heating

Postby Delmar » Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:22 pm

I and my wife will be moving to Bulgaria next year. Presently selling our property in France.
I have read through lots of the questions and answers on the various forums regarding heating but as yet have failed to find anything about LPG bulk tanks for domestic use. I believe Shellgas supply and fit them provided you contract to them for regular supplies. Has anyone used this system and if so could they give me a rough idea of costs.
We will be looking for a 3/4 bedroomed house in Elhovo area so will be requiring some fairly substantial heating for the winter.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
VickyC
Super User!
Super User!

LPG tanks

Postby VickyC » Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:33 pm

Hi

We are thinking of changing our wood/pellet burner to an LPG system and there is already one British family in Provadia with a large tank in their garden. I will try to find out where they get supplies and what it costs to run.

Our radiators and central heating system is brand new and compatible to LPG. We also have a glass fronted fireplace in the lounge for the 'real thing' and it is well worth it as it gives off a great heat.

The advantage of LPG is you can set on a timer and it is instant. No bulk supply and stacking masses of wood for winter and feeding the burner all the time. We are thinking that wood costs will eventually go up as the restrictions on cutting for ecological reasons. But how will the villagers survive as they depend on wood?

Will update you when I have more info

Vicky

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Delmar

Postby Delmar » Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:30 pm

Thanks Vicky, I have checked on the shell gas site and they operate in Bulgaria. According to web site they install tank for free ? and arrange supply. No details of costs though.
I would prefer this type of heating if at all possible, cleaner, more efficient, instant etc.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
MikeL
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Postby MikeL » Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:13 am

Glad someone else has asked this question. We are in same situation re selling our farm in mid France and looking to move to BG next year. LPG is our preferred option for a cooker and boiler to do under floor heating.

Are there many companies in BG that also do auto cut-in mains backup generators? I have been doing a lot of reading up on them and some of the slightly bigger domestic/commercial petrol powered systems (Honda do some very good ones) can be very easily converted (kit supplied or fitted by the manufacturers at time of sale) to run off PLG. As we are looking at building and running a largish B&B this is again my preferred option so that we and paying clients are not affected by any power cuts.

Rgds, Mike L

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
chappers
Super User!
Super User!

Postby chappers » Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:14 pm

Vicky,

Wood is renewable, gas is not. Does not take a rocket scientist to work out which one will go up.

best to have a bit of both :wink:

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
MikeL
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Postby MikeL » Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:04 pm

The statement that wood is a renewable energy source does not always stand the test of time.

As many countries have already discovered, as large tracts of woodland are felled to make way for large scale developments it becomes harder and harder to find areas in which to plant the replacements. This eventually results in a need to replace traditional trees with faster growing trees (such as pines) to sustain an increase in demand for wood.

The test of time show also shows that as wood sources are depleted the cost of this then rises quite fast.

The price of gas and oil fuels, I admit is far more dependent on external factors such as politics and war, but I do worry about people calling wood a renewable source of energy as it is only renewable until you run out of your source just like everything else on this planet.
:roll:
Rgds, Mike L

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
chappers
Super User!
Super User!

Postby chappers » Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:33 pm

Mike,

Wood is a renewable energy source full stop. It has provided energy for thousands of years and will carry on providing energy for thousands of years.
The argument of building flats over a forest is a poor one. Wind energy by your logic isnt renewable either because we could build a shed over the uk to stop the wind.

I agree a little common sense and effort is required, but wood is cheap, carbon neutral and renewable. It doesnt spoil the landscape and birds etc can live amongst our 'power'.

Not many other sources can claim this.

All the best,

Chappers 8)

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
THEPOSSOM

Postby THEPOSSOM » Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:13 pm

MICKL Don't think that just by having LPG as a substitute for elect, you have to think twice, as some thermocouple needs electricity to operate, thus you wouldn't be able to light the heater. :lol: :lol:

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
MikeL
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Postby MikeL » Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:16 pm

Hi Thepossom.

I am not considering using LPG as an alternative to electricity, the LPG is used for the houses heating system etc and to power the standby generator when it is required.

The type of auto standby generators that I am talking about do not need an electricity supply to start them. They have a sensor and switch, the second the mains goes down they sense that the pulse has gone and using their own rechargeable battery they cut in automatically and then provide the electricity for the property. As soon as the sensor detects that the main power supply has returned the whole system goes back into standby mode. Simple but effective non interruption (most commercial premises where constant power supply is essential use the same type of system).

I am talking about commercial level system (they are normally completely enclosed in a large metal cabinet) which will cost approx £4K and will easily run all the electrics for a small hotel for a few days with no problems at all.

Hope this explains the type of system I am looking for. If they are not available in Bulgaria (which I am sure they must be) there are companies in the Uk that will transport and install the system.

Rgds, Mike L

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Adolf
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Adolf » Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:56 pm

I think wood is only carbon neutral if it is being burnt at a rate no faster than it is being supplied by new growth. Historical deforestation shows that this generally does not happen. Probably the only way to live sustainably is to liquidate a significant part of the world's population, or alternatively the whole of the North American population and their associated flatulent cows and fields full of car fuel.

The eco-warriors will get round to suggesting this soon. They would do anything rather than go back to nuclear power.

Feel free to flame me if you think the atmosphere can take it :lol:

On gas boilers, I am pretty sure the thermistor is just a pressure device. It is the main gas valve that needs electricity to hold it open - this is low voltage, 12 or 24v, can't remember which. A battery will do it. Unless you've got a gravity circulation you'll need power for a pump, too. They are 220v in my experience, so that's the bigger problem.

Return to “General Discussion”