treatment of dogs in bulgaria ~ pt 2

Discuss here anything that does not already have its own Forum.

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Griswalds

treatment of dogs in bulgaria ~ pt 2

Postby Griswalds » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:37 pm

This discussion continues from:
http://www.mybulgaria.info/modules.php? ... 251#222251

On my last visit to bulgaria a young boy ridden his bike into our neighbour's dog, the dog yelped in pain it was awful the boy was laughing, there was bulgarian people watching but no one shouted at the boy, is this normal practise to be cruel to dogs ? i thought they would be respected after all they guard there animals, this is my only dislike about bulgaria. :cry:

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
mickw
Super User!
Super User!

Postby mickw » Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:14 am

Dogs, an immotive subject on this forum. Brits having been brought up in a society that pampers and adores dogs cannot cope with the fact that most continental countries don't have the same attitude.They are regarded as tools and most are chained to a 40 gallon oil drum to "guard the premises or livestock."not so they are there because they have aquired them for free, if they had to pay for them they wouldn't have them Most of the villagers I know will tell you they keep them to guard, but like a car alarm in the UK they go off 24/7.and after a while they are ignored. I have been in friends houses when the dogs have started(I say dogs because most families have at least two).and they don't even check to see what has caused the barking. They are not barking at an intruder they are barking to keep in contact with each other and for attention.Stick you head out of the door in any village at any time of the day or night and you will hear them, thank god for double glazing. The last rise in bread prices saw a marked increase in stray dogs, because that's what most are fed on, plus any still born pigs etc;.Bread is due to rise again to 2 levs a loaf so there will be more turned out.That's the attitude they have and no one is going to change that attitude.My home is guarded by a flock of Geese, that only go off when someone or something is about.

Mick

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
millomgirl
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby millomgirl » Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:57 am

I am going to have geese, too, although I do have two dogs who will be coming over with me. They are very much pets, though, and will be kept in the house, with the run of the garden. I think the Bulgarian way of keeping dogs outside and chained up will take a lot of changing, although I have seen many people with pedigree pet dogs walking around VT, and there seem to be quite a few pedigree dogs on sale in the pet shops now.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
goodlife

Postby goodlife » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:13 am

Geese are vicious birds, i would not like to tackle them, Your right if they are lucky they get fed bread, they dont care for their animals like we do. What I find is that Bulgarians will not come into your garden if you have a dog they are scared of them and even if they are chaned up they still wont venture into the garden, my dog roams free, I hate the thought of having to chain him up

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
7RED
Super User!
Super User!

Postby 7RED » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:13 pm

Hi,

Mickw is spot on.

The difference between Brits and Bgn's is that in the Uk dog owners pick up their dogs ****.

7red

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Adolf
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Adolf » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:37 pm

My home is guarded by a flock of Geese, that only go off when someone or something is about.

Absolutely right. Saved ancient Rome from the Gauls.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
scot47
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby scot47 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:43 pm

Personally I am more concerned about how the dogs treat humans. Have we forgotten about the recent death ? I will do what I can to make sure that there are no packs of feral dogs that can threaten us in our village.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
peterhart
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Postby peterhart » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:45 pm

Ghandi quote: "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
leedarkwood
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby leedarkwood » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:51 pm

From the editorial of a recent Sofia echo

"FROM THE EDITOR: Stray dogs
17:00 Fri 07 Dec 2007

It has taken a tragic death to return the problem of Bulgaria’s stray dogs to public attention.

Because in the Nedyalsko case the victim was a foreigner, British expatriate Ann Gordon, the problem has got more attention than usual, with coverage outside the borders of this country. Within Bulgaria, few cannot be aware of the maulings in recent years that have left victims young and old severely injured.

Probably more by coincidence than by design, a few days after the Nedyalsko tragedy, Parliament approved new legislation on animal protection that includes measures to impose serious fines on people who abandon or are cruel to their pets.

Abandoning a pet’s young will mean a fine on conviction of up to 3000 leva. If homes cannot be found for an animal’s young, the offspring of the pet should be neutered, the law says. Rather than being abandoned, pets should be formally put up for adoption.

At the same time, Parliament approved clauses providing for fines of up to 1000 leva for cruelty to animals, 1500 leva if the perpetrator is a veterinary surgeon.

On the face of it, there is no serious shortcoming in the new legislation, which in any case Bulgaria had been pressured to approve to come into line with European Union law. However, this is yet another case of new legislation being the sole response to a problem in Bulgaria, and authorities apparently smugly feeling that something has been done. It may well prove that this law, like many others - think of everything from forfeiture of assets acquired through crime, to the mandatory wearing of seatbelts and the ban of using mobile phones while driving - will either hardly be enforced or end up being diluted into meaninglessness.

It is difficult to quantify the problem of stray dogs in Bulgaria, or in any of its cities in particular. Various quarters offer various figures. Nor is there consensus on the way to deal with the problem. Some believe that systematic neutering is sufficient, while others hold that only systematic and widespread euthanasia will work to reduce numbers significantly.

Compounding the problem is that, apart from the work done by a few NGOs, consistent action by municipal authorities has been scant. Dealing with stray dogs is a potentially dangerous, expensive and fairly thankless task. This is the case in major cities, and so much more so in towns and villages with scant resources. The stray dog issue tends to be raised only around the time of municipal elections or after a serious attack.

It is most appropriate that municipal authorities are the ones to be held accountable for stray dog attacks, and it is not beyond the bounds of possibility that the family of a victim may take court action for compensation. Perhaps having to pay substantial damages could focus the minds of local authorities. At national level, rather than approving legislation which may never be enforced - it is difficult to imagine police and prosecutors following through cases of irresponsible pet owners who allow indiscriminate breeding - it could prove more effective to penalise irresponsible municipalities, which after all are large-scale and static targets. Either way, all of those who travel by motorcade should occasionally glance out of the windows to notice that not all streets are safe for those who do not."

Lee

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Adolf
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Adolf » Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:32 pm

As far as I can see, under Bulgarian law everything is ok if the animal that rips your throat out has been spayed.

Bulgaria generally seems quite a rational place so I'm surprised that the no-kill policy (of cats and dogs) seems to be unquestioned.

There was a germ of a suggestion that some enterprising people were willing to kill stray (and maybe not so stray) Bulgarian dogs. I bet the animal rights loonies were upset by this story.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml%3Bjsessionid%3D?xml=/news/2005/12/18/nfur18.xml

Return to “General Discussion”