treatment of dogs in bulgaria ~ pt 2

Discuss here anything that does not already have its own Forum.

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
mickw
Super User!
Super User!

Postby mickw » Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:21 pm

Hi Cherifa,

If you care to start up a new topic I can name you several wild animals that kill for fun or sport. But like MOD said not on this thread.

Mick

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
SillyYak
Super User!
Super User!

Postby SillyYak » Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:18 am

For me, the problem isn't the stray dogs in Bulgaria but the ones left forgotten for 4 days of the week (or more) with no food or water in either baking heat or like now.....ice water with no chance of defrosting for days at a time. It is heart rending. We had really bad weather about 2 weeks ago with strong cold winds and a continuous downpoor of rain, there is an alstation frustratingly out of reach tied on a short rope to the bottom of the stairs of a newbuild. No roof for shelter no food and water for days at a time. I can't get to it to help it.

I have adopted various village dogs through the winter months who are let off chains for the winter while their owners go back to their centrally heated flats in Bourgas. Frank and I ended up climbing over a fence last winter on a daily basis to feed and water the dog opposite. When the owner heard about it he asked me why. I told him the dog had had no water for 4 days as it had frozen, he said, "the dog will lick the ice" !!!! I told him i would continue to get water and food to the dog every day, he gave me a set of keys. Now 'Bandit' is off for a walkies every day for the last year and is looked after properly instead of going insane with boredom stuck on the end of a forgotten bit of rope.

This is a terrible scenario and totally usual. I have just come back from Turkey, not one road kill dog. The only stray i saw had an ear tag and the locals were gently coaxing it to give it food. I saw young boys running and playing with dogs, the best pasttime for both.

When i see the way dogs are treated here it breaks my heart, then i look at the way they treat the kids in the orphanages.......seems some attitudes will have to change here.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
rgawith
Super User!
Super User!

agree

Postby rgawith » Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:49 am

I agree SillyYak. At least the strays can run around and get food and water most of the time from somewhere. But there are all those poor dogs kept on chains all year round, never allowed to run free and usualy not fed daily and with only a barrel for shelter if they are lucky.

The problem of strays will never be got under control until the attitude to neutering changes. Bulgarians in general have this strange idea that neutering is cruel but to allow your dog to run around and s**g all the time, creating hundreds of unwanted puppies that are then just killed, thrown out or left.....this is what leads to such a problem with strays.

I have had all 4 of my dogs neutered and my cats. It cost 50 levs for a female dog and around 30 levs for a male dog. Alot of villagers I know but even if there was just a free neutering program for male dogs across the country it would help. I know there are in some places but better education is needed to change the appaling attitude to animals here.

Oh and as I understand from friends living near where the poor woman was killed by dogs, these were not strays but dogs in or near the gypsy area that were trained to guard and attack.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
scot47
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby scot47 » Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:14 am

I cannot speak for other areas but both Shumen and Dobrich have a programme for rounding up strays, neutering them and releasing them again.

I suspect that most areas of Bulgaria do the same. If I were responsible my techniques would be rather more severe.
Last edited by scot47 on Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
SillyYak
Super User!
Super User!

Postby SillyYak » Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:24 am

My 'techniques" would not be wasted on the animals, who after all, are totally innocent in all this. The irresponsible humans who create this situation need to be caught and heavily fined then maybe there will be a more responsible attitude growing and less suffering.

Animal rights do exist, people go to jail when they abuse them and quite rightly too.

Now BG is in Europe i hope to see an end to this barbaric practise of tying up what is by it's very nature a gregarious pack animal, and leaving it starving and helpless without shelter (sometimes) in what is literally solitary confinement and totally against this animals nature. I worry about the mental stability of these poor long suffering animals that never receive any mental or physical stimulation.

What really gets me is, a dog on a chain is not a deterent. A dog roaming free in its own grounds would make me think twice if i was a burglar. I can see no point in tying a dog on a chain at the furthest reaches of the garden when an intruder can walk in, grab what he/she wants and be off again without going near the dog.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
susiebes

Postby susiebes » Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:30 pm

Yes Silly Yak, the last point being very true indeed.
I have five dogs who constantly run free, they are extremely fit from playing and chasing each other all the time.
I am looking after a friends alsation that she rescued and was heavily bribed money to be able to rescue!! while she prepares to move over here for good.
This poor dog had been tied up for 10 years fed the usual gourmet of bread, she was unable to walk at all at first, lost the tips of her ears chewed off by mites and ticks.Just a toastrack with a few matts of fur horrific 8O
Now she is well on the road of recovery,vacinated,deflead wormed, clean, running about, and enjoying her life for once.
I have shown my close neighbours and friends the photo of Tessa, and in the last couple of weeks, 2 neighbours have freed their dogs from the chains, I know it may take forever here for people to respect animals and become compassionate, but what a joy to see four more dogs running free now.I hope others in my village will follow

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Biker
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Biker » Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:34 am

It is awful that any animal has to suffer pain and starvation and live out a dreadful existent. with no contentment.
But I think that in any society where such a situation is widespread it is indicative of the history of the suffering of the people. This problem, stemming from, a nation's attitude to the care of its animals, points to a recent time of difficult existent for its people, to a time when the choice was between feeding the child or the animal.
As a county's wealth improves and people have the means to support more than their own existence they will provide more for the animal.
But it always takes time, a couple of generations before new attitudes (of how animals can and should be treated) to take effect.
Most people are inherently good. The Bulgarians in the villages see nothing wrong with how they treat their dogs because this is their understanding of the way it is done, gained from their upbringing.
Life may be better now for some and more affluent, but it will take time for them to adjust their attitudes to how they manage their dogs and elevate them in their mind to a species of higher need.
It is only when the MAJORITY of a nations people have a full belly and heat and shelter and their needs fully met, that they can became an nation of animal lovers like in the UK, where we enjoy the privilege of being in the top 10% of the worlds population, who have at least one meal a day and shelter from the elements.
It is not only the dogs in Bg who rummage in the bins to forage for food but the pensioners who have no family to support them. Not only the dogs who freeze in winter but the children in the orphanages,
It is not an education in the care of their dogs that this nation needs but an eradication of the memory of the suffering of its people and then care of the animals will follow.
Widespread lack of basic animal care, I feel is founded in the suffering of people, and human poverty is never far away.
Biker

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
leedarkwood
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby leedarkwood » Sun Dec 23, 2007 6:47 am

Just a small note on this, in our area for some reason, dogs that are 'owned' often have the tips of the ears cropped off as puppies, one side, the other or both, I presume as a sign of ownership and to distinguish them from feral dogs. Looks odd to our eyes, but not to the Bulgarians. They might think a cocker spanial with his docked tail odd I guess.

Lee

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Biker
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Biker » Sun Dec 23, 2007 5:58 pm

Exactly Lee, and even more odd that people in the western world would pay to give their dogs a shampoo and Manicure.
The more wealthy we in the western world become the more our treatment of our dogs reaches or exceeds the standard of care of human beings.
Wealthy dogs in LA have a better standard of life than me.
Bulgaria is a poor country that is why we have all bought there. To avail of the property bargains and the slower pace of life of a poor economy. We cannot expect it to have the standards in all areas of a wealthy UK. We have to take the good with the not so good like the dog problem.

Reading this forum sometimes it strikes me that many people want the life that this country offers them as a relatively wealthy Person in a poor economy, but also want things to change to the UK standards. (The standards that come with a wealthy nation and also create the materialistic society that they wanted to leave behind).
Don't get me wrong I do not like to see these dogs suffer but it is an inescapably part of the culture in Bg.
This problem will slowly go folks but remember along with it will go a lot that you love about Bg.
However I think it will be a while yet before the Bulgarian villagers will be buying tooth brushes for their dogs or Jollys pet store, chain will be reaping profits from Bg.
Biker.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
mickw
Super User!
Super User!

Postby mickw » Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:08 pm

Lee and Biker have got it spot on, what you see in Bulgaria with a few exceptions are real dogs, not cosmetic makeups of a real dog.
Westerners have manufactured dogs according to their tastes,wants and convince. dogs that have bandy legs and can hardly breath Bulldog, Dalmatians a great percentage are deaf, dogs with no fur what's that about, something that will fit in your shopping bag, dogs that look like they have run into the back of a bus Pekinese, and dogs that can run almost as fast as a Cheetah,and then put it on a lead. This all promoted and condoned by the Kennel Club,and we call the Bulgarians cruel.

Mick

Return to “General Discussion”