neutering your own dog

Discuss here anything that does not already have its own Forum.

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
micky

Postby micky » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:54 am

We had our female puppy spayed before she had a first cycle, we have two boy dogs, so not possible to wait. She is 3 years old now, no problems, good thing we had her done as she is still a real tease to the boys. Cost was 70 leva.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Rosa
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Rosa » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:20 am

Oh my goodness! I saw this headline and had visions of people discussing various DIY methods, for 8 pages!!! Images of reindeer herdsmen in arctic regions popped into my head, castrating reindeer the traditional way - with their teeth!

You can delete this now, MOD!

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Moscow_Wolf
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Moscow_Wolf » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:08 pm

I'm wondering just how many of you have had your male dogs neutered/castrated and on what grounds, i.e. to stop them mating, stop their aggression or other medical reasons.

My eldest dog, (a Moscow street dog) only has one testicle that fell, the other is still located up inside somewhere, I forget exactly where, but the Bulgarian vet advised me to have him castrated around the 4/5-6 year mark as he has increased chances of developing cancer.

However, of late, he has being showing a lot of aggression towards his two year old son who is bigger and stronger but extremely well balanced and laid back. At first, the son would simply surrender and try to extricate himself from the fight, but now he stands his ground and gives as good as he gets.

The fights are becoming more common and the elder dog is showing stress that he is not happy with his son which in turn, is putting more stress on myself and my Wife as we're expecting another serious fight.

Now, I have read some of the leading works about the Dog's Mind and they say that castration does NOT always solve aggression in a male dog if was there to begin with. There are of course, many other factors and triggers that can initiate these aggression attacks and I'm having to re-think some of the things that we do around food time and other volatile times. However, it can be as simple as a stare in the wrong direction at the wrong time just like two drunken men in a bar.

So, my question after a long preamble is really how many of you have had your male dog castrated as a result of aggressive behaviour towards other dogs (not humans) and did it help?

Thanks.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Villyman
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Villyman » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:57 pm

Got our 2 village dogs "done" as soon as possible. Brother & Sister.

2 years later we got a Male Rottie Pup and as soon as recommended we got him sorted as well. This was done as we didn't want him getting out and running around the village doing the business with all the unprotected BG b***es.

Like MWs experience our BG vet could only find one testicle so don't really know if the job was successful.

He is a lovable dog around humans with no really bad habits and most of time a big teddy bear who just wants cuddles. Unfortunately he has had two major scraps with our other male village dog with fur flying and blood flowing.

They now give each other a wide berth but the 3 still co-exist on our patio and their own garden runabout. At night the 2 village dogs sleep together as they have done from birth and the Rotti on his own.

I should mention that the village bitch although looking like a Jack Russell with long legs and weighing a quarter of the Rotti's weight is the Boss and judging by the holes in the Rotti's ears, he has still to figure this out.

ps. The Jack Russell lookalike bitch also mounts the Rotti on occasion so there may also be a problem there with hormones.

Isn't life here wonderful.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
qwerty
Super User!
Super User!

Postby qwerty » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:09 pm

Neuturing your own dogs!!!! ....... God I thought I was tight, but even I paid the 30 or 35 lev to have ours done.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
banshee
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby banshee » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:30 pm

Yep .... had two males one older one younger .....they started to get aggressive to each other ....chop ....chop...or in your case MW ....just chop ....and then two big stupid non aggressive dogs .....worked a threat :D

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Villyman
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Villyman » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:30 pm

Obviously the missing testicle on our Rotti has made all the difference in his behavour. If we only knew where it was our life would be so peaceful. Mind you, he didn't like the stallion we had, but when the village vet came to do the gelding he could only find one testicle there as well. Maybe its a Bulgarian thing :?

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
leedarkwood
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby leedarkwood » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:38 pm

Having had a bitch with stress incontinence, I recommend considering six monthly injections as an alterative solution. She STANK all the time, and had to be bathed most days. We have just had our Krakachan boy neutered at 17 months, to try and calm down his fighting every dog in sight, it should take a couple of months for the hormones to settle down. I have two female cats to get done, the vet has begged me to wait until they are big enough that he can 'get in there and see what he is doing!' They are five months now, will probably wait until the new year.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Moscow_Wolf
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Moscow_Wolf » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:54 am

Villyman wrote:Obviously the missing testicle on our Rotti has made all the difference in his behavour. If we only knew where it was our life would be so peaceful. Mind you, he didn't like the stallion we had, but when the village vet came to do the gelding he could only find one testicle there as well. Maybe its a Bulgarian thing :?

Not all Bulgarian Veterinary Clinics have them, but the one I used in Yambol had the Ultra-sound scanner and was able to show me where his 'non-dropped' testicle is. Of course there is a good place and a bad place for it to be located, i.e. one operation is more complicated than the other and of course, my dog has to have his located in the more complicated place. :roll:

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Mat
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Mat » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:21 am

I had my Jack Russel male castrated at just over a year because he was fighting everything in sight, running after b***es and marking every single thing he could cock a leg on. It was either that or he'd be killed by another dog or squashed so after he'd gone straight under moving cars twice the girlfriend finally relented. He became a much better dog, although now slightly cowed towards large dogs and the male dogs all try and hump him. We don't get any territorial stuff in the apartment either. Every Bulgarian I meet is utterly gobsmacked that I castrated him saying that it removes his 'manhood'. I remind them he is not a man, he's a dog. Then when they find out he eats raw meat I get the nonsense that this will make him more bloodthirsty and likely to bite. And this is from the vet....

Incidentally, I have not yet met any non-castrated pet dogs here, only street dogs. No wonder there are so many unwanted animals.

By the way, if anyone wants a pedigree JRT a friend has just whelped 10. Quite why she did this without lining up buyers is beyond me.

Return to “General Discussion”