Perseids Meteor Shower

Discuss here anything that does not already have its own Forum.

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
tedthered
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby tedthered » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:20 am

millomgirl wrote:So, did anyone get a good view in BG last night? I was up around 3am in the UK, and was lucky enough to see a few between the clouds. Apparently they didn't manage to see anything around the Manchester area, but we had a few breaks here and was fortunate. :lol:

Us folk from Manchester are allseeing, and we see plenty of showers so what is so special with this one, seen one seen 'em all

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers

Ted the Red

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
jangee

Postby jangee » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:37 pm

didn't see anything in Nottingham area :cry:

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
bgcarl
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby bgcarl » Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:00 pm

Not a brilliant display last night, only a few across the sky in a few hours.

It was warm and the red wine was rather pleasant though!

Cheers

BGCarl

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
balkankiwi
Super User!
Super User!

Postby balkankiwi » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:13 pm

[quote="millomgirl"]So, did anyone get a good view in BG last night? [quote]

We did - went up onto high ground above Troyan, it's a park but of course the lights don't work any more so was nice and dark. Got up there about 9.20, put mats on the asphalt, got horizontal, looked up and waited to be impressed. Which we were over the next hour - saw 12 clearly and a few others faintly (in the light of the waning gibbous moon, no less - learned about that on wikipedia). A couple were truly amazing - relatively slow moving with a long visible tail which lingered after the meteor spat the dummy.

Also observed several satellites passing over - never saw that before - all in all, a fantastic experience :)

And we had it all to ourselves.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
thedichingang

'the sky at night'

Postby thedichingang » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:52 pm

the past few nights have been very very good with displays appearing from all directions! the main debris trail is found looking roughly north-east.

i have received a mail from an old mate who is close to the famous one 'sir Patrick'. i asked him to explain the cause of the showers ( in simple layman terms and this is what he told me.... i for one will not be around in August 2126

"what it is, is err the earth throughout its yearly orbit path around the sun occasionally moves through paths which other celesteal objects had travelled and left debris behind such as the dust trail of a comet the one that causes the perseids (which is refering to the area of the night sky where they will been seen at ) well the comet responsible for that is the 109P Swift Tuttle. which has had some good press in the not so distant past in fact it was a candidate for a probe only a few years back and some very recent studies have in fact indicted that in 114 years time its going to collide with the earth You heard it first here mate!!!!! eta august
16th 2126 the year pity we wont be here for that one"

after that i am off to bed!

Last edited by thedichingang on Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
millomgirl
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby millomgirl » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:56 pm

Balkankiwi, that sounds amazing! Would have loved to have seen the Perseids as well as that - you were so lucky! I have often seen satellites going over. Used to see them a lot when I was in BG, as there was a lot less light pollution that here. :lol:

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
balkankiwi
Super User!
Super User!

Re: 'the sky at night'

Postby balkankiwi » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:42 am

thedichingang wrote:the comet responsible for that is the 109P Swift Tuttle ... some very recent studies have in fact indicted that in 114 years time its going to collide with the earth You heard it first here mate!!!!! eta august 16th 2126 the year pity we wont be here for that one"

According to wikipedia (the font of all knowledge ...), the "2126 impact" is no longer considered viable:
This information and subsequent observations have led to recalculation of its orbit, which indicates the comet's orbit is very stable, and that there is absolutely no threat over the next two thousand years.

And this:
A close encounter with Earth is predicted for the comet's return to the inner solar system in the year 4479, around Sept. 15; the closest approach is estimated to be 0.03-0.05 AU, with a probability of impact of 1 x 10-6.

That impact probability stat is comforting, don't you think? 8O

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
balkankiwi
Super User!
Super User!

Postby balkankiwi » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:23 am

Ah yes brik, but who knows who might be - even now - manipulating Swift-Tuttle's orbit for their own nefarious purposes ...

Return to “General Discussion”