when do we change tyres?

Discuss here anything that does not already have its own Forum.

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
owain
<b>Property Sales</B>

Re: Winter tyres

Postby owain » Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:33 pm

Greenjacket wrote:Hi all,

Just been told by a Bulgarian, that we now need to put on car lights at the start of September and put on Winter tyres at the start of October, true of false.

ta John

False :wink:

It is not mandatory to change to Winter tyres but it is advised to change them from November 1st. But it is compulsory to have snow chains aboard between 1st November and 31st March.
If you are involved in an accident without Winter tyres and have no Snow Chains,KAT may say that your vehicle isn't safe for the conditions.

Vehicle Lights must be on at all times from November 1st until March 1st.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
jinx57
<b>Property Finder</b>

Postby jinx57 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:40 pm

November 1st headlights and winter tyres on
April 1st headlights and winter tyres off (remember to put summer ons on tho!)

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
owain
<b>Property Sales</B>

Postby owain » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:00 pm

Winter Tyres: Not Mandatory
Snow Chains:Compulsory to Carry them November 1st to March 31st
Vehicle Lights:November 1st to March 1st
:wink:

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Spiralbg
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Spiralbg » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:10 pm

jinx57 wrote:November 1st headlights and winter tyres on
April 1st headlights and winter tyres off (remember to put summer ons on tho!)

That is exactly the way to do it. Although, my winter tyres will be going on this weekend due to cold mornings and freak snow storms.

Anyone thinking you can get away with not putting winter tyres on your car will have the nasty surprise of seriously hurting themselves or someone else on the road.
For the sake of half an hour to change them over and the few hundred levs every few years for new tyres, it's not worth risking lives.
Even 4WD vehicles need winter tyres, or at least mud and snow.

Stay alive this winter people!

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
owain
<b>Property Sales</B>

Postby owain » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:17 pm

Not saying it's not advisable,it definately is, but it's not mandatory. Also lights can be turned off on 'Baba Marta' March 1st.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Samche

Postby Samche » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:25 pm

Never been told that we need chains in winter- and not seen that on the news either. As was mentioned earlier only seen chains suggested for when using some of the higher mountain passes. Always been told that we need winter tyres. Can't imagine trying to drive with only summer tyres even on snowploughed roads.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
spantrout
Super User!
Super User!

Postby spantrout » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:24 pm

as i said earlier on the other deleted thread, i regularly drive 60kn on summer (or what I'd call normal) tyres and never had any problems if ur sensible and don't do 100km/hr

don't know if it's compulsory to have them though, chains are not compulsory

if you are driving on "pure" ice, then 6mm or 15mm of tread on your tyres makes no difference really!

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
qwerty
Super User!
Super User!

Postby qwerty » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:33 pm

Winter tyres are not compulsory only advisory, you know how they advise you to change your tyres before the canvas shows.

I do believe that tyre chains are compulsory though, threw mine in the back today...Having never bothered to having a practice go at fitting them, I think I would be more inclined to either walk or thumb a lift than to try fitting chains in -20c

I did learn this though last winter, its the tread pattern that makes a huge difference not the tread depth!!

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
spantrout
Super User!
Super User!

Postby spantrout » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:40 pm

qwerty that's fine about tread patterns if there is liquid on the road surface, if it's minus 20C and there is only ice on the road then i doubt a pattern will help you, more likely your driving skills will allow you to move about though.

i have to say i doubt chains are compulsory, as less than 1 in maybe 200 cars have them in our area. if wrong i stand corrected, but i doubt it.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
parkersd
Super User!
Super User!

Postby parkersd » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:40 pm

I was told last week that the legislation changed this year and that it is a legal requirement to have winter tyres on from the 1st November....snow chains only needed on mountain passes where the 'chains' sign is shown, and not obligatory to carry them unless you live in mountainous areas where the signs are!

Return to “General Discussion”