when do we change tyres?

Discuss here anything that does not already have its own Forum.

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
qwerty
Super User!
Super User!

Postby qwerty » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:42 pm

I can personally testify this is the best/fun way to drive on snow/ice.

http://www.youtube.com/user/45vienna#p/ ... f9AesBpNpQ

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Moscow_Wolf
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Moscow_Wolf » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:43 pm

spantrout wrote:as i said earlier on the other deleted thread, i regularly drive 60kn on summer (or what I'd call normal) tyres and never had any problems if ur sensible and don't do 100km/hr

don't know if it's compulsory to have them though, chains are not compulsory

if you are driving on "pure" ice, then 6mm or 15mm of tread on your tyres makes no difference really!

We need someone like Gimlet to show us the exact law which I am sure he will. :wink:

However, as far as I am concerned, on a 2x4 vehicle it is COMPULSORY to carry them, but not to use them until you get stuck. I seem to recall reading on here somewhere where someone said that the KAT officer not only checked that the driver had the chains in the boot, but that they were of the correct size.

Saying all of that, I've never carried them in the Niva, but I ought to as even my mud and snow tyres won't go through really deep snow. I've had to dig myself out on deserted motorways here in the dark and it is no fun, but that is all covered in another 'long' story. The morale of the story is, carry the snow chains compulsory or not and add a retractable shovel as well. :wink:

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
seathrift
Super User!
Super User!

Postby seathrift » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:48 pm

It's my understanding that chains are only compulsory when there is a sign on any particular road that they are so. I carry a set during the Winter months just in case, but living near Borgas I have never had the need to use them. The major problem in my area is drifting snow but even then I have only had to turn round once in 4 winters living here. That was because I declined to dig my way through a 4' high drift, just outside my village. moscowolf would, no doubt, have dug through it in seconds. ( no slur intended, just admiration!)

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
spantrout
Super User!
Super User!

Postby spantrout » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:50 pm

and he never crashed qwerty! :lol:

the simple answer is to phone the police in your area before you travel to see if roads are open

if not stay home, and if open be sure to be back before weather closes it
Last edited by spantrout on Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
qwerty
Super User!
Super User!

Postby qwerty » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:54 pm

I asked all my neighbours and googled at great length last year when we first arrived in Bg.

The consensus of opinion was tyres advisory and chains compulsary...Also having been stopped many times (10 -12) by local plod last winter all they checked was documents and I had a few nice telling offs for lights and speeding slightly, never did they look at my tyres or check for chains.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
owain
<b>Property Sales</B>

Postby owain » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:54 pm

It IS compulsory to carry Snow Chains in your car between 1st November and 31st March. I've only been checked once for this in 7 Years but it is a mandatory requirement.
Winter tyres are efficient in cold weather due to rubber compound and tread pattern.
Although not mandatory, if you have an accident in the Winter while driving with Summer Tyres, the Police will deem your car as unsafe.
If you get stopped by KAT in the snow/ice and you are using Summer tyres, they will give you problems.
Summer tyres are efficient in temperatures above 9C due to the rubber compound, you may as well use bald tyres if you use them in freezing temperatures.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
qwerty
Super User!
Super User!

Postby qwerty » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:59 pm

Just as an aside, the best tyre grip I had last winter was when I was trundling along with 250kg of plasterboard on the roof, it was like she was on rails!!

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Samche

Postby Samche » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:19 pm

Never once been told we need chains- and this includes friends who are policemen. Never been asked if we have chains in the car on the few times we have been stopped in winter. Our winter tyres are 'squishier' than the summer ones and help 'grip' fresh snow or frozen rutted snow- useless on ice of course.

Having driven behind a car where the owner had fitted chains- I'd rather have winter tyres. He was not making good progress at all.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Balchikgirl78
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

when do we change tyres?

Postby Balchikgirl78 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:50 pm

another thing to consider not every car can be used with snow chains,so if it is compulsory what do the thousands of cars that cant use them do?
my hand book states-never fit chains to the vehicle,and i can see why the space between the tyre and inner wing is minimal.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Samche

Postby Samche » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:58 pm

I agree- the winter tyres on our car are like tractor tyres- not even sure we'd get chains to fit them and not scrape the wheel arches off.

Return to “General Discussion”