WHAT WILL U MISS FROM ENGLAND WHEN IN BG

Discuss here anything that does not already have its own Forum.

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Andree
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Andree » Mon May 02, 2005 12:01 pm

Come on guys, this thread was just supposed to be a bit of fun, no need to try and make judgements on people who enjoy Branston pickle or Beef Madras or soft toilet paper, the question was what will you miss from the uk, I find it most interesting that the majority of postings are about certain foodstuffs and not family/friends etc. Have a good Bank Holiday Monday. I am off to a tradionally english village pub, for a typical english pint and lunch.

Bye :drinkers:

Andree

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
ani

Postby ani » Sat Aug 06, 2005 3:56 pm

From the UK I will miss lables on products that you can trust...for example if it says a 100% pure natural juice on the lable in the UK you know you`ll get that,and in Bg it`s very likely that you get a diluted juice...I went to Metro in Varna last time I was in Bg and bought lots of Queen`s 100% carton juices and my disappointment was huge when I opened one....

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
scot47
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby scot47 » Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:29 am

I miss decent tea and HOPKIN decent tea is NEVER made with teabags. Leaf tea is the ONLY way.

Incidentally ssome of us will not miss ANYTHING from England, being from a different country !

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
luna2
<b>Building Services</b>

Postby luna2 » Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:34 am

scot47 wrote:I miss decent tea and HOPKIN decent tea is NEVER made with teabags. Leaf tea is the ONLY way.

Incidentally ssome of us will not miss ANYTHING from England, being from a different country !

Here! Here! Scot.

I have just been trying to catch up a little on some of the threads, finally back online properly.

Unfortunately unable to remember my password under username Luna and have changed email addresses so cant use the reminder option, so have been renegated to Newbie (Boo Hoo!) As Luna2.

Oh Well, I have now been in BG permanently for 4 months and life is getting better, starting to adapt...

Things I will miss from SOUTH AFRICA are:
Vanilla Pods (Fresh) or Vanilla essence (Liquid not powder)
Woolworths Spice Rubs
Peanut butter, marmite / bovril
Mrs Halls Chutney
English Magazines
Live rugby matches - Go Lions!
All my friends and family

Hi Bo, Phreddy, Scot, German and all the Super Users I once knew and will get to know again.
:D :D :D
Regards,
Luna

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Echo

things I still miss

Postby Echo » Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:18 am

I've lived here for 12 years and still miss:
glossy magazines
The Guardian - its not the same reading online
people who smile at you on the street and say 'hi' without knowing you
custard powder
being able to cross the road without someone trying to run you down
my family

My children who were born here and have never lived in UK miss:
jelly
Marmite
Bovril
instant gravy

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
stevetheyorky
Super User!
Super User!

Re: things I still miss

Postby stevetheyorky » Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:38 am

Echo wrote:I've lived here for 12 years and still miss:

I presume you're not from the UK then. It's been a long long time since anyone I don't know in England spoke to me anywhere never mind on the street.

it's difficult these days to get anything more than a grunt out of shop assistants, bar persons etc and they should be polite.

I've had better conversations on the street in BG when we don't understand a word each other is saying

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Phreddy
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Phreddy » Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:05 am

What Yorky said!

People talking to you in the streets? Can't say that I recognise that even when I was up North where, rumour has it, that sort of behavior occurs.

Hi Luna2 how is the Interlex going? I have given it up and use flash cards instead.

Didn't think I would miss anything but Salad Cream might be one. I cannot remember if I got on with Mayo on my last visit so I might have to find a recipe and make some.

We think that the visa might be there!!!!!
Going to see tomorrow!!!!!

Phreddy

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Bo

Re: things I still miss

Postby Bo » Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:33 am

Echo wrote:I've lived here for 12 years and still miss:
glossy magazines
The Guardian - its not the same reading online
custard powder
being able to cross the road without someone trying to run you down
my family

My children who were born here and have never lived in UK miss:
jelly
Marmite
Bovril
instant gravy

(i) glossy rags - no pronounced shortage of these that I've noticed but if that desperate the British Council libraries in Sofia and Varna are well-stocked in this line.

(ii) the Guardian - I myself never read it but you can obtain it at the Sheraton and again at the BC

(iii) people who don't know you and say hi - any number of these weird characters in EVERY village that I've been to in Bulgaria; although in 'cultured' society talking to people you don't know is generally perceived as meddlesome and rude; I generally never reply to people who say 'hi' without knowing me.

(iv) custard powder/jelly/marmite - I personally use and sometimes abuse the kindness of frequent commuters and keep a well-stocked cupboard which features these and many more;

(v) instant gravy (stuffing for that matter too) - either use the option above or resign yourself to the fact that you can actually make your own (which is always a hundred percent better)

(vi) drivers 'going' for you when crossing the street - well, not much help there - it is really annoying!

Bo

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Chippy
<b>Building Services</b>

Postby Chippy » Sat Sep 03, 2005 7:15 am

" people who don't know you and say hi - any number of these weird characters in EVERY village that I've been to in Bulgaria; although in 'cultured' society talking to people you don't know is generally perceived as meddlesome and rude; I generally never reply to people who say 'hi' without knowing me"

............. I must be very meddlesome and rude then!! As must many people who live in the Cotswolds as we do it all the time :lol: :lol:

Regards

Chippy

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
7RED
Super User!
Super User!

Postby 7RED » Sat Sep 03, 2005 7:49 am

hello all,

i,m new to this site but what do i miss.....colemans mustard and long live the branney pickle

Return to “General Discussion”